• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z97 FTW Memory Read Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

So, I got the EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard, a Pentium G3258, and 2x8GB G Skill Sniper 2133 CAS10. At first, it didn't post at all, and it was the CPU. When I removed the CPU, I found that a corner had been bent. I bent it back in place, and now have at least gotten the motherboard to POST. I now get POST code 55, which means "Memory Not Installed".

I get the same POST code with both sticks in all slots, and also tested a second kit of RAM (Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB 1600 CAS10). Same result. I also had a friend who purchased the same motherboard, who had issues with memory reading, too.

If the motherboard POSTS to the point of "memory not installed", then that gets the CPU out of the equation for issues, right? Which is more likely, do you guys think? Is the issue arising from the CPU bending, or do you think I have motherboard RAM slot issues, now that it actually recognizes the CPU well enough to POST?

I watched the 3.33 Dub, and MAN... So different, but still great in so many ways. Can hardly wait for the dubs. 2.22 on Blu Ray is still one of my go-to disks to show off my sound system and screen. :thup:

Are you implying it is certainly the motherboard, or certainly the CPU?

Im not an expert in this matter, that would be the greens and blues, but from what it sounds, POST is detecting the CPU, then stopping on memory right? And you have tested multiple sets *you have tested ram known to be working right?*

To me, that sounds like a ram slot issue, but wait for other answers, I do not wanna be the guy who got a guy to toss a board when it was working lol.

3.33 wasn't showing near me. I have 2.22 signed by Kaji's voice actor.....Not sure if you picked up on the whole idea that this series happens AFTER the original End of Evangelion *the swath of blood on the moon, etc*

I seriously am starting to doubt 3.33 will ever come out, seeing as Studio Khara and Funimation are going back and forth lol

Ya, both ram sets function in other systems. So I was curious if it was RAM slots, or the memory controller on the CPU.

And it does seem the rebuilds are in some sort of time loop / alternate timeline from the original.

55 error = memory is dead or there is bad contact between something on the way between cpu and memory. Usually it's problem with CPU pins or faulty CPU socket.
IMC errors are 30-39 or 20-29.

Since you already said that there was an issue with CPU then I would check CPU and CPU socket again.

The bend was not too bad. It was the silicon on the upper right, bent maybe 15-20 degrees. I bent it more or less back straight. And both sets of RAM work elsewhere.

The socket appeared to be OK, but I will pull the CPU out and double-check that, as well.

So, the bend was on the CPU, not a pin in the socket? I would have RMA'd that CPU, period... which is what you likely should do anyway if there was a bend on the PCB of it.

Bought the CPU used, so no RMA. It was just meant to be a placeholder til 4790k (or if a 5775C gets to a reasonable price).

The CPU was not bent when I received it. It was packaged in the plastic clamshell thing, wrapped well in bubble wrap, in a padded envelope. The CPU was intact when I received it.

When I pulled the cooler off the first time, turns out one of the fan wires was actually trapped under the cooler, so I am pretty sure that is what caused the bend. I do need to check the socket, but it looked good to me when I reseated the CPU.

So, tried a known good 4790k in the motherboard, still getting POST Code 55. I also have a friend that got the same board, and it would only recognize one RAM stick. So he RMA'd the board, still issues. RMA'd the RAM, still issues...

Makes me wonder if this model of motherboard just has a crap memory interface or something. It's my first EVGA motherboard, and between this and my friend's issues (3 of this board in total), I do not intend to purchase an EVGA motherboard again. I should have stuck with Gigabyte or ASUS, like I initially planned. I'll likely end up RMAing this board, and then selling the new one I receive BNIB.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, that is.

Back