• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zip ties vs. metal hose fasteners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kbofwy said:
I use the cable ties. I double them up on each fitting with one turned 180 degrees to the other for a gapless grip. Haven't leaked yet.

Exactly. I might go 90 instead of 180, but either way the result is the same. No leaks.

The other thing I do is take a slightly larger diameter hose and cut small "dohnuts" off of it and use them as hose clamps. Clear clamps on clear hose, don't get much better than that ;)

greenman100 said:
come on, you spend $1000 for a computer, but won't spend $10 to properly secure your relatively conductive water?

I'll second that, and mention here that worm gear are pretty much cheaper than zip tie or plastic hose clamp. I get worm gear at about 10 for 2$, solid zip ties will be around 10 for 2.50$ (I usually buy the box of 300 of different length for 20-30$ though) and plastic hose clamps are like 1-2$ each.

Go for worm gear. Better safe than sorry.

if find zip ties vary greatly in there strength and quality. Some are weak enough to rip in 2 with your bare hands where as some are so strong they wont rip with pliers so if you do use them make sure they are good quality and are done up tight! ;)

let me clear something up for most of you.
you knock zipties but there is a reason the US military to include DARPA use them for everything . i even have issued versions that exceed the capabilities of wurm gears in corosive enviroments.
i have used zipties to fix nearly every part of a duece humv 5ton rsov and several other vehicles that require a lot stronger than 100psi.
i have seen wurm gears actualy bust under pressure that they where rated for and had to fix fuel lines with zip ties .

in fact in the navy i have seen a stringed chain of zipties secure a 4inch hose to a huge positive displacement pump .

the fact that most people here dont know what to look for in zipties or how to properly apply them and the false idea that wurmgears are better because of the material they are made from is a bit desturbing.

Kbofwy said:
I use the cable ties. I double them up on each fitting with one turned 180 degrees to the other for a gapless grip. Haven't leaked yet.
Same here, using Tygon with zip ties.
I tried various shapes (and brands) of metal or plastic fasteners, all caused problems in the long run (4 years...)
Small zip ties are ideal: very low price, easy to put on, easy to get off (just cut em off), 100% leak-proof. And they don't look too bad, either.

Eh? I am in the US military and they definatley dont let us just zip tie things together lol. There are alot of requirements and guidlines on what can be used because if we were to zip tie our riggings and they burst, whoever used zip ties is being held responsible. Guidelines of the rigging include tested pressure, depending on the pressure we must use the correct fasteners rated for the weight. We must use metal fasteners for all of our rigging, I dont think I would ever risk zip tieing our hoses to our trucks lol. I cant speak for the navy, maybe it is different for them, maybe because of the corrosive environment they are in.

Hold on. Our PCs are submitted neither to military-grade conditions (temperature, forces..) nor to high pressures, aren't they ?
Zip ties are quite strong as long as they're not exposed to flame or high heat.. and our pond pumps cannot produce much pressure...
The fact is they're very cheap and produce a zero-dead-spot seal (when used by pairs, at 180° of each other), and they are not obtrusive.

I used zip-ties once, and it leaked and killed my 5900NU. Never again. that was with tygon on a very tight fitting, but the zip-tie stretched and all of a sudden there was water in the bottom of my case and on my 5900.

When I get my WC stuff, I am definatly getting metal hose clamps, just as a reassurance issue, whether zip ties work well enough or not, there is way to much at stake to take the chance of a leak
better safe then sorry

Used metal clamps.. got leaks due to dead spots..
now using zip ties.. no leak. And they hold up. Simply don't keep them
close to ramsinks or other very hot components..

I'm using the plastic hose clamps and IMO they should work just fine with no probs with what we are doing...and since I'm using clearflex they grip real nicely.

[KX3]rAge said:
When I get my WC stuff, I am definatly getting metal hose clamps, just as a reassurance issue, whether zip ties work well enough or not, there is way to much at stake to take the chance of a leak
better safe then sorry
I personnally would leakproof the system WITHOUT clamps first, then add zipties for reassurance. You should have almost no chance of a leak then.

SureFoot said:
Used metal clamps.. got leaks due to dead spots..
now using zip ties.. no leak. And they hold up. Simply don't keep them
close to ramsinks or other very hot components..

What are you talking about? Dead spots? Maybe you didn't have it tight enough...

I personnally would leakproof the system WITHOUT clamps first, then add zipties for reassurance. You should have almost no chance of a leak then.

When you use zipties or hose clamps you aren't using them only to prevent leaks from occuring on their own, you're using them to hold the tubing onto the barbs, so that you won't accidently pull off the tubing, or so a leak won't form when you're moving around the tubing or wiring inside your case.

squeakygeek said:
What are you talking about? Dead spots? Maybe you didn't have it tight enough...
All metal clamps i've seen have a dead spot right under the screw. And most plastic ones, too, have a similar problem under the clamp mechanism. To put them in pairs is nearly impossible in tight situations (on a NB block or GPU block for instance)..
It depends on the tubing of course, but softer stuff like Tygon creeps up right under that "dead spot" and leaks spring from there.
No solution is perfect.

squeakygeek said:
When you use zipties or hose clamps you aren't using them only to prevent leaks from occuring on their own, you're using them to hold the tubing onto the barbs, so that you won't accidently pull off the tubing, or so a leak won't form when you're moving around the tubing or wiring inside your case.
Yep :D Although you shouldn't be working on the inside of your computer with it on :rolleyes: Then again everyone (including me) does... And yes, I did kill a P233 working on it while it was on (not to mention flesh wounds from fans, and the fact I broke both my Y.S. Tech 120+ CFM 120mm and my Evercool 120mm fan... I fixed the Y.S. Tech with superglue but the evercool is DEAD), and I continue to work on my main rig with it on.

Cyrix_2k said:
Yep :D Although you shouldn't be working on the inside of your computer with it on :rolleyes: Then again everyone (including me) does... And yes, I did kill a P233 working on it while it was on (not to mention flesh wounds from fans, and the fact I broke both my Y.S. Tech 120+ CFM 120mm and my Evercool 120mm fan... I fixed the Y.S. Tech with superglue but the evercool is DEAD), and I continue to work on my main rig with it on.

It doesn't have to be turned on... If there's water in the tubing, and you pull a tube off a barb, you're going to have water all over your computer... and that's something you don't want, whether the computer is on or not.

Back