• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zip ties vs. metal hose fasteners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if someone doesnt tighten something enough, or course it may leak. theres the possibility with either zip ties or worm clamps. thats user error.
common sense is tightening too much and shredding your hose with a worm clamp.

when i tighten my zip ties, i get them tight enough so that the top of the zip tie is about even with the tubing on either side of it. that takes a lot of tuggin with pliers, and i have 100% faith in my zip ties. when i looked at hose clamps, they were around $2 a piece so i went with zip ties. the first ones i had sucked and broke when i tightened them. i got some beefier ones and they are doing very very nicely.
in fact, i changed from a dtek WW to a LRWW. the barbs on the old block were bigger, so the tubing was stretched out, and was loose on the LRWW barbs. it leaked with the older, crappy zip ties that i could tighten enough, but its now double zip tied with the beefy ones and hasnt leaked at all. i will post pics of how deep my zip ties are and the diference between the 2 styles of zip ties if anyone wants

I think the biggest problem with the worm drive clamps is the they can and do get over tightened. I have used zip ties on air hoses that ran 175psi without leaks easire than with hose clamp. The zipties dont damage the hose as much either.

Ancient_1 said:
I think the biggest problem with the worm drive clamps is the they can and do get over tightened. I have used zip ties on air hoses that ran 175psi without leaks easire than with hose clamp. The zipties dont damage the hose as much either.

That's not a problem with worm drive clamps, that's a problem with the user. What do you mean by damage to the hose? So what if the tubing takes the shape of the clamp? It's not like we're changing our watercooling setups every week.

Still you never want to overtighten hose clamps. Just until they're snug. Unless you're doing some insane pump setup you just want to prevent it from leaking.

thorilan said:
it comes down to user error and common sense

This is the obvious answer.

Why bother arguing over something that will work both ways fine as long as the party doing it is satisfied with the results?

For the record I use the plastic hose clamps.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned these "Wide-Band Self-Tightening Spring Hose clamps" (scroll down to see the right clamps). I don't use these but am considering using them. They look like they have zero dead-spot and they also have a very "clean" look to them. I've heard of a couple people using them before but they're not as common as the worm drive clamps or zip ties. These things are dirt cheap.... cheaper than worm drive clamps or zip ties as far as I know since they're only $4.42 for ten clamps.
I was just wondering what you guys thought of them compared to zip ties and worm drives.

Last edited:
Do not use cable ties for tubing clamps, they simply do not provide enough pressure to be safe. I have had them leak in various plumbing applications for my fish tank.

Get an appropriate sized steel tubing clamp (The ones at home depot that require a screwdriver to tighten).

just wondering how many people here have built more water cooled computers here than me?

if you count me replacing my L30 with an L35 i have done 113 systems and ony 2 have leaked and niether of them where from the tubes or zipp ties. 1 was from the rad not being able to handle the pressure ( special requested pump) and the other the resevior cracked .

and a fact here is i have had less than 20% of my requests for wurm gear clamps.
so what does that tell people.

to re quote my self against arguments like this :
Do not use cable ties for tubing clamps, they simply do not provide enough pressure to be safe

thorilan:

it comes down to user error and common sense

Jitsu said:
Do not use cable ties for tubing clamps, they simply do not provide enough pressure to be safe.
Use pliers to tighten them. Good quality zip ties can take a lot of abuse ;)
Jitsu said:
Get an appropriate sized steel tubing clamp (The ones at home depot that require a screwdriver to tighten).
Those are the ones which have dead spots...

SureFoot said:
Use pliers to tighten them. Good quality zip ties can take a lot of abuse ;)

Those are the ones which have dead spots...

Well, it looks like zip ties will work if you know what you're doing, but don't go telling people that the metal hose clamps have dead spots. I tested my radiator at over 100 psi with the metal hose clamps.

Well I can't find anything to disprove you... But I did have a worm-drive clamp leak on a connection to my HC. It leaked right where the screw on the clamp was, and it was later tightend until it cut into my clearflex60 to try and stop the leak. It didn't work.

Back