• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have an idea...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sean W.

ok i have an idea, it may be crazy, but it just might be crazy enough to work....

Water cooling is awesome, but its not possible to cool the water any lower than the ambient temperature of the room, so what if you put the Radiator in a Mini Fridge. Modify the fridge, drill some holes here and there. i cant think of a reason why it wouldnt work.

Thoughts?

im not sure Sean W. meant what that link refers to, i think he means putting the radiator in there will push cooler air through the radiator making the loop more efficient? is that what you meant?

EDIT: finally got round to reading all the link, you dream crushers :(

Refrigerator aside, the idea of bringing the water below ambient temperature presents the problem of condensation forming on the tubing inside the case. If you still want to try and make a below ambient system (other than the fridge one) make sure you have some condensation insulation over any WCing components near electronics.

The only thing wrong with your idea is the mini fridge.

People have attempted to cool their water below ambient temperature and use something like a water chiller, like the one from a water fountain, or more recently people have used a modified A/C unit.

As Radeon28, there will be new things to watch out for like condensation, but it's possible.

What about TEC?
If you can get the heat off the TEC plate then that'll probably be able to lower the temps of the water to about 5-6 degrees (you don't want to go lower).
If you get a TEC cooler, buy another CPU plate and attatch it onto the cool side of the TEC plate and then add a highish quality CPU heatsink or something to remove the heat off the hot side.

If done correctly then those temps will be very near freezing point :D

What about TEC?
If you can get the heat off the TEC plate then that'll probably be able to lower the temps of the water to about 5-6 degrees (you don't want to go lower).
If you get a TEC cooler, buy another CPU plate and attatch it onto the cool side of the TEC plate and then add a highish quality CPU heatsink or something to remove the heat off the hot side.

If done correctly then those temps will be very near freezing point :D

i have always been interested in a tec, but i have read that they can get messy if somthing goes wrong..

im sure if you wanted to remove heat from the tec you would need a decent water loop, as air probably wouldnt be able to remove the heat from the tec+ the heat from the cpu fast enough.

that wasnt meant in a mean way btw. its just that every time someone thinks that one particular title its always about one of 3 things. open large volume tanks for latent heat storage, partial phase change multi loops ( what you where talking about ) or parrallel loops

I like your observation thorilan :)

(could be a "why not" sticky in there somewhere, hmmm :) )

sure I coverd one of the three, bright ideas myself some time back too.

Just a large heatspreader :thup:

Blue = tubing
Black = water block
Green = TEC
Yellow = heatsink
Pink = radiator
Orange = CPU

TEC cooler.jpg

I believe this would be the best plan. You would want to put the TEC cooler before the radiator to make sure you don't freeze the water.

You have to make sure you can vary the voltage across the TEC plate so you can switch from idle (either off or maybe 2V max) up to about 8-10V under full load. You probably won't want to put the TEC under full load because if you can't get the heat off the hot side then the cold side will start to heat up.

If you're running like 6V max then you can probably use a freezer 7 pro or possibly even the stock cooler. It will still cool the water down by quite a considerable amount.

Sorry if it's not clear in the pic, the water goes from the CPU straight to the TEC.

Just a large heatspreader :thup:

Blue = tubing
Black = water block
Green = TEC
Yellow = heatsink
Pink = radiator
Orange = CPU

View attachment 83562

I believe this would be the best plan. You would want to put the TEC cooler before the radiator to make sure you don't freeze the water.

You have to make sure you can vary the voltage across the TEC plate so you can switch from idle (either off or maybe 2V max) up to about 8-10V under full load. You probably won't want to put the TEC under full load because if you can't get the heat off the hot side then the cold side will start to heat up.

If you're running like 6V max then you can probably use a freezer 7 pro or possibly even the stock cooler. It will still cool the water down by quite a considerable amount.

Sorry if it's not clear in the pic, the water goes from the CPU straight to the TEC.

if you want to do somthing like that to avoid the tec touching the cpu. then you could do somthing like this , i used the same basic colour code as you have.

note: i forgot 2 include the pumps for the 2 loops

obviously, the hot side of the tec will be facing the loop with the radiator in it.

and the cold loop would need antifreze in it.

if its not clear in the pic, its 2 loops, 1 for to bring heat from the cpu(on right, orange) 2 the tec(center, green), and another one to bring heat from the tec to the radiator(left, pink).

i havnt tested this, so i dont know if it will work, and i dont have the cash right now to find out.

Attachments

• tec.jpg
    tec.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Like I said, you don't need a watercooling loop. You just need a large heatsink.

Doing what you've suggested just adds to much cost, also the water that comes off will be VERY hot. Having a good ol fashioned fan if you're sexy awesome. Are you sexy awesome? If so then you'll use my idea :p

Also doing what you suggested isn't really going to do anything. It's just transferring the heat from 1 place to another. I believe what I'm suggesting you're doing a similar thing but it's cheaper and should work a LOT better. You'll get the same performance if not better by just putting the other radiator in series with the other one.

Like I said, you don't need a watercooling loop. You just need a large heatsink.

Doing what you've suggested just adds to much cost, also the water that comes off will be VERY hot. Having a good ol fashioned fan if you're sexy awesome. Are you sexy awesome? If so then you'll use my idea :p

Also doing what you suggested isn't really going to do anything. It's just transferring the heat from 1 place to another. I believe what I'm suggesting you're doing a similar thing but it's cheaper and should work a LOT better. You'll get the same performance if not better by just putting the other radiator in series with the other one.

the problem with your 1, with the tec cooling the water below ambient, with a rad in the same loop, is that the rad is just gona end up heating up the water, which is why i didnt include a rad on the loop on the cold side of the tec in my drawing.

transferring heat from 1 place to another is all a tec (and every other cooling method) does really :p

Last edited:
Well I don't think the radiator cools the temp down to the ambient temperature. I'm really not sure on this, I haven't even set up a watercooling rig.

Maybe you're right, it does sound plausible and I really don't know :p

Well I don't think the radiator cools the temp down to the ambient temperature. I'm really not sure on this, I haven't even set up a watercooling rig.

Maybe you're right, it does sound plausible and I really don't know :p

well the radiator just transfers heat from what ever is hotter, so it seems logical that if the water is cooler then the air then the rad would be putting heat in to the water. =

maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in :)

@op, sorry for hijacking your fridge thread :p i had a similar idea a while ago... i think alot of people have the same idea when they start using water

Well then you have the same problem. As the water going from the TEC heats up the cold side of the TEC will slowly heat up.
It looks like no matter what you do you'll have a problem somewhere :p

I still think an air cooler is the best idea but that could be because it's my idea :D

Well then you have the same problem. As the water going from the TEC heats up the cold side of the TEC will slowly heat up.
It looks like no matter what you do you'll have a problem somewhere :p

I still think an air cooler is the best idea but that could be because it's my idea :D

well most people just stick the tec directly on the cpu, and use a waterblock/rad to cool it, so i gues thats probably the best way to do it.

if someone wants 2 give me 2 waterblocks, a tec and a pump, i will happily do some testing out :p

Back