• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so just to confirm again if i make this same exact controller with the component list mentioned , it will work right?

@Jason, thanks ! ;)

@juanP, it should work, assuming you will be powering this controller circuit from the PC PSU 5 volt line, while the fan's both power line positive and ground(negative) directly from the 24 volt meanwell psu, just make sure you connect both ground wires together (from psu and the meanwell psu) before powering them up. (fan controller and the fan)

so i bought all the stuff bing. will this circuit posted earlier be the same ? i have never used a bread board. how does it work. do all the dots need to be connected. i also bought the 470 mf is this the correct one or i need a 470pf?

attachment.php

pwm.jpg

Last edited:
I've read this whole thread and even though I see the usefulness of the device... and the fact that building something is more satisfying than just buying somehting someone else made...
I can't help but wonder what would be the use for this? Please don't get me wrong.. I'm not knocking anyone's efforts here.. I understand you want the capability of controlling a PWM fan and that plugging that SAN ACE to the MoBo CPU Fan header would probably melt the thing... So that option being out; wouldn't it just be simpler to run the RPM sensor wire and the PWM wire from the MoBo Header and the power wires straight from the PSU? Kindda like this: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...es&type_sub=Fan Cable Adapters&model=AK-CB002

Yes it wouldn't be so cool, and you would have to defer control of the fan to the BIOS... But it would work... right?

I've read this whole thread and even though I see the usefulness of the device... and the fact that building something is more satisfying than just buying somehting someone else made...
I can't help but wonder what would be the use for this? Please don't get me wrong.. I'm not knocking anyone's efforts here.. I understand you want the capability of controlling a PWM fan and that plugging that SAN ACE to the MoBo CPU Fan header would probably melt the thing... So that option being out; wouldn't it just be simpler to run the RPM sensor wire and the PWM wire from the MoBo Header and the power wires straight from the PSU? Kindda like this: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...es&type_sub=Fan Cable Adapters&model=AK-CB002

Yes it wouldn't be so cool, and you would have to defer control of the fan to the BIOS... But it would work... right?

it might...without reading back I want to say that the pwm signal that the fan wanted was 25khz and the mobo output was 16khz...so it may have worked depending on how the pwm circuitry was setup inside the fan.

also the mobo in question only went up in like 10% steps or sumin like that, this is totally smooth. Wasnt it sumin to do w/ benchmarkin, bein able to crank fan up full boar when benchin and then bein able to crank it back down for normal use. Like a normal fan controller for 3 wire fans, cept this one does it with the pwm which is a far better way of doin it. goin from poor memory here

j0rd is right, Brutal's mobo has a coarse steps and since his monster fan capable from dead stop at 0 rpm up to 6000 rpm , each step roughly translated to 600 rpm. Yes, he is member of the bencher team here, using this controller is the only way to adjust his monster fan from dead silent when not in heavy oc-ing up to extreme speed when benching.

Another important issue is, at high speed and high power fan, sometimes at certain rpm, it will make loud noise since the vibration from rotation frequency will oscillate with the HS fins or other mechanical structures in the casing, without fine tuning capability, it is difficult to skip thru the noisy harmonic zone.

xXSebaSXx, agree with you, when avg joe using just one or two low to medium pwm fan, making this kind of dedicated controller is way overkill & pointless, using that akasa pwm splitter as you pointed is the best solution.

also the mobo in question only went up in like 10% steps or sumin like that, this is totally smooth. Wasnt it sumin to do w/ benchmarkin, bein able to crank fan up full boar when benchin and then bein able to crank it back down for normal use. Like a normal fan controller for 3 wire fans, cept this one does it with the pwm which is a far better way of doin it. goin from poor memory here

Correct.

First of all, just using a splitter does not control this fan from the motherboard "just like that". The motherboard incrementally raises and lowers the fan speed in 10% increments. This makes for a stair step type fan increase and decrease rather than a fluid increase/decrease and it switches constantly. (Think... haidryer being switched back and forth between 3 low,medium and high settings constantly)

Also, the 10% was the lowest setting which was still higher than I wanted it to run "silent". It also jumped back and forth between 10% and 20% while idling.

j0rd is right, Brutal's mobo has a coarse steps and since his monster fan capable from dead stop at 0 rpm up to 6000 rpm , each step roughly translated to 600 rpm. Yes, he is member of the bencher team here, using this controller is the only way to adjust his monster fan from dead silent when not in heavy oc-ing up to extreme speed when benching.

Another important issue is, at high speed and high power fan, sometimes at certain rpm, it will make loud noise since the vibration from rotation frequency will oscillate with the HS fins or other mechanical structures in the casing, without fine tuning capability, it is difficult to skip thru the noisy harmonic zone.

xXSebaSXx, agree with you, when avg joe using just one or two low to medium pwm fan, making this kind of dedicated controller is way overkill & pointless, using that akasa pwm splitter as you pointed is the best solution.

And bing was the contributor to my beast. Since it is not common to run fans at 6000 rpms, I can understand why someone would find it overkill, but there really is no other simple way to run this particular PWM fan at 6000 rpms and 900 rpms. I can either go full blast or off, otherwise it might as well be a 3 pin fan. I use it for benching, and if you look at my score on HWBOT, my CPU scored #2#5 (dropped a bit, but I am willing to bet one or two of them is not air) highest on Air.

Thanks for the circuit help Bing, my controller is now in operation..:D

My first real circuit non the less and it works!!...
Thanks!
Martin

pwmcontroller.jpg

Thanks!
Martin

pwmcontroller.jpg

wait...are you martinm of xs and wcing fame? If so, I've gotta ask what this is going towards, testing perhaps?

Thanks!
Martin

My pleasure ! Hope this will contribute to your excellent work on fans review !

Btw, wellcome to OcF ! :welcome:

Thanks for sharing this, and this really cool that it works from the 1s time, considering this is your 1st DIY real circuit ! :thup:

wait...are you martinm of xs and wcing fame? If so, I've gotta ask what this is going towards, testing perhaps?

Yes, he is. :)

I don't know about fame, but yeah that's me. Working on a pile-o-fan tests and wanted to experiment with PWM vs voltage control. Prior to this, I only had voltage control testing ability, and I don't want a computer to mess up the silence, so I really needed something just like this.

I had also thought about doing some noise related pump testing in the future include the newer PWM pumps like the swiftech 35X...needed a controller.

Now I have one..:santa:

Oh, and I really enjoyed the first time circuit exercise. I actually got to use the electronics learning lab to build something I wanted...good little project.:burn:

Good job. The experience alone makes this worth doing. You learn a lot in the progress and bing is a great teacher and has lots of patience.

I am so happy to have mine, and If I was smart I would mass produce these and sell them to overclockers. :)

Martin, would you be interested in inputting your experience implementing the schematic as an article on Overclockers.com? It'd essentially be similar to what you posted on XS, except on our frontpage for everyone to see a great 1st time example of building a circuit for a controller, based on an OCF members schematic. Cool stuff!

Back