• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sebastian - I just dug this out for you and I hope it is of use to you.

This is the sketch I made after breadboarding, and it's the design I chose for the final stripboard layout.

Tracks run horizontally, and all the red circles denote breaks in the tracks (under or between components, etc.); and the caps are all labelled accordingly.

The 556 is pointing up, as it appears in the schematic in the article.

pwmlayout556.jpg

Hell yeah... this will come in all sorts of handy.

Thanks a million Lenny

Oh yeah, and the triangle to the left is where the pot is.

Any questions just fire away and I'll do my best to answer/clarify. :)

Heh many thanks for the kind words guys :thup: and yeah I'm a professional photographer who likes to take hobby pics in his spare time, and as bing says the camera plays a huge part in the quality of the images :D

And since this is the "cooling" thread I thought I should share an image of cooooool - a nice frosty sunrise which I took on holiday last week

sunrisehdr1small.jpg

Nice to see the thread continuing to develop. I really should get back on the PWM controller wagon, but I've been so busy lately...

Dude if I lived anywhere that looked like that... I wouldn't even be a member of this board... I'd spend my days just wandering around... That place is beautiful.!!!

Yeah it is - that picture was taken from just outside my parents' back garden, Isle of Lewis, Scotland. :)

Too cold for me, plus some annoying relatives "by law" live there.
They're probably the most feral/arrogant people I've ever met, & I'm from Australia :D
Of course, I'm sure there's many lovely folk there! ;)

WOW Lenny....that sunrise shot is just breathtaking? Any chance I could get the full res? I'd love to use it for my desktop :drool:

No problemo - I have a 1920x1200 version of it for my desktop at the moment.

I'll have to watermark it; after that it can be freely shared!

Here it is; sorry for hijacking the thread :D

Code:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1067/sunrisedmp.jpg

jalyst said:
They're probably the most feral/arrogant people I've ever met, & I'm from Australia
ahahah you're right; the Island is a law unto itself and the natives can be somewhat...arrogant, as you say! Fortunately my parents do not fall into that category; they are actually leaving the Island to go live and work somewhere else!

Last edited:
Sorry I should've been clearer, I don't think they're from one of the Scottish islands.
Although one of their "family friends" who came down with them was a big fella from the Orkney isles "I think"?

Too cold for me, plus some annoying relatives "by law" live there.
They're probably the most feral/arrogant people I've ever met, & I'm from Australia :D
Of course, I'm sure there's many lovely folk there! ;)

:rofl:

If I lived in a place like that... I'd be a total hermit. Who needs people when you can look out the window and see such beauty? My dogs and a few cases of good scotch would be all I'd ever need.

Beautiful picture Lenny, truly. Get that printed up and you might be able to sell 'em!
Scotland wise, my last name would be Campbel if a great (great?) grandfather hadn't changed it to Smith when he came to america.

Anyway, I got myself a Nidec BETA-V VA450DC fan today.... The only words really capable of describing it would get me banned rather quickly, so I'm going with a heartfelt "zomg".
If I put it exhaust down, it literally hovers and floats across the carpet.
The connector is a miniature version of the PCIe 6pin power connector, strange.

Beautiful picture Lenny, truly. Get that printed up and you might be able to sell 'em!
Scotland wise, my last name would be Campbel if a great (great?) grandfather hadn't changed it to Smith when he came to america.

Anyway, I got myself a Nidec BETA-V VA450DC fan today.... The only words really capable of describing it would get me banned rather quickly, so I'm going with a heartfelt "zomg".
If I put it exhaust down, it literally hovers and floats across the carpet.
The connector is a miniature version of the PCIe 6pin power connector, strange.

LOL...

Looks like I may have to send you one of my Nidecs... just be sure you're well stocked for "depends" when you first run it..
:rofl:

Ya... I have a Delta that is rated 300rpm, 30cfm, and 9watts higher coming soon :D

Fans are here and intense. Next up for the electronics manufacturing division is a fan pressure measuring system :D

Just finished this:
View attachment 93423
View attachment 93424
View attachment 93425

The three outputs go to the fan connector on the right for easy plug'n'play.

On a multimeter they do exactly what I expect them to, tomorrow I'm going to go get my PWM fan as well as plug this thing into the scope and see what things look like.
I should be able to trace all three PWM outputs at the same time... I'll get a pic of that if I remember to bring the camera.

EDIT:

The smaller black electrolytic isn't on the schematic, I added it cause I had room and have a bunch of 'em. Certainly won't hurt.

2.EDIT:

Ignore the wire color on the molex, it was originally a fan adapter, I moved the pin from 12v to 5v, but changing the wire color is somewhat harder.

3.EDIT: The pressure system will be a box, likely cardboard, that the fan attaches to. In this box there will be a hose, the hose will lead to a fairly sensitive pressure sensor ripped out of a cavalier fuel sending unit when the pump died, read by an Arduino clone (BBB or RBBB) and fed into the computer from there. Or maybe into a 2x7 segment display if I get off my tail on that one.

4.EDIT: Neither fan is PWM, despite the Nidec having four wires. Donno what wire #4 is.

Last edited:
Bob, looking that printed schematic paper, the vcc (14) pin and the Reset2 of IC2 are not connected to the +5 volt rail which they should be, hope that is just the error at the print, and you've put the right connection at your soldered circuit.

I should be able to trace all three PWM outputs at the same time... I'll get a pic of that if I remember to bring the camera.

Great :thup:, please take the shot at the pulse when loaded at multiple fans if possible, really curious how good the signal is when loaded.

4.EDIT: Neither fan is PWM, despite the Nidec having four wires. Donno what wire #4 is.

Strange, what Nidec fan is that ? Mine take a shot at at the label ? Cause 99.99% chance that 4th wire should be the pwm wire, while 0.01% that wire could be for the external temperature probe, but this is really rare and hard to find, usually its a special highly customized fan.

Both those pins are indeed connected, there are two different sets of wires going across the top of IC2 that are stacked on top of each other.

I had a bad connection between the feed for those two and the connection to IC1's 14 that prevented things from working, fixed that and it's all set. It's very hard to see in the picture, you can see 'em connected to each other, and then there is a little bare metal jumper that connects them to IC1's 14.

I'll get a picture of the label shortly here.

Here we go:
View attachment 93468

Some of these things have a rotor-locked sensor wire, but this doesn't have the correct suffix for that.
Unfortunately -35 doesn't have any meaning that I can find.

I'll slap another PWM controller together real quick and give it a shot and see what happens.
Shorting the other two pins to ground didn't give any fan speed change, but it may just want an actual PWM output I guess.

Thanks for digging that up for me!

Back