• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you had a SSD Fail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Make sure you know what you're buying before you get the OCZ Vertex 3. I have the vertex3 MaxIOPS 120gb and it's a total piece of crap. It bsod's constantly (1-2 times per hour) when I have it plugged in to the intel controller on my p67. It still bsod's on the marvell controller but only about once a week. It also operates at 1/3rd the speed on the marvell controller even at 6gbps.

but hey, its 550mb/s read and write on the intel controller. It's fun to benchmark it and see real high numbers before it crashes to a bluescreen.

So OCZ has released all these firmware updates, and none of them have stopped the problem, the latest one actually made it much worse for me. They have started to moderate their forum now and delete a lot of the posts with this problem, or consolidate them to the end of their long-*** firmware thread. They are playing the blame game with intel and sandforce and holding their hands up in the air like they have no idea what's going on.:shrug: intel :shrug: sandforce :shrug: couldnt be our fault :shrug:

The bad part is that my drive was completely fine before i installed their very first firmware update advertising faster boot times and fixing a bug. After that it's been windows install after install, formatting, erasing, trying different firmwares, to no avail.

Don't buy a vertex 3

This russian dude says it best
Dear Denzy.

Why technical support works so bad and awful?
First, they are tell to us wrong history about new firmware 2.10.
Now they are published bad firmware which is not working!
I become sad.

Got Agility 3 60GB ... 1 month fighting, changing settings etc, new firmware that was working even worse ( and can't flash back old firmware ) and finally I made rma. I was waiting 1 more month because reseller got info from OCZ that "for sure next firmware will be 100% stable" ... well it's not and depends from luck it's solving 50% issues. Since premiere they had 4 months to fix issues ... Other people at work got Agility 3 and Vertex 3 and have similar issues ( if someone don't know then drives are hanging up what ends on blue screen, restart or locking disk ).
Last week I changed it to Crucial M4 and all is 100% stable and probably I will get 2nd to raid soon.
I have also Corsair F60 , no problems for over a year and 2x PQI S525 32GB ( 1st gen ssd but now I'm using them as bigger pendrives ;) because of USB port ). With one of PQI drives I had little problem, ssd was "empty" every 2-3 weeks like I'm starting windows and I get info that there is no partition no matter if it was system disk or not. I got new from rma maybe 3 months ago ( strange that they still had them ) and it's working fine.

My Crucial CT128M225 is still working a year down the road, but back in December, 2010 the drive freaked out and all data on it was corrupted. Fortunately, I had a recent drive image handy as well as a robust backup plan, so nothing was lost except for a few desktop items created that morning.

The drive has been running strong ever since (knock on wood) :chair:; to this day I'm unsure of the cause of the failure.

I had a similar incident 3-4 weeks ago... turned out one of my sata cables was slightly loose.

I had a ~4 month-old Intel X25-M 80 gb, very low use, drive fail with an "End-To-End Failure" SMART error. Still could read from it but Win7 was screaming about a drive failure. Intel replaced it and the replacement has been fine for about the same amount of time now. I have 3 others, same model, none of which have had any problems.

G.skil 256gb completely failed

I have a 256gb g.skill titan drive that completely failed on me 2 days before a huge presentation. it completely went dead. osx crash hard and computer wouldn't boot up. complete loss of data.

the whole point of ssd is data security and integrity against some kind of impact. my laptop was never dropped. the drive never saw the light of day after it was installed. I was just working in my hotel and BAM the drive went dead.

I barely recovered from business presentation using some ad hoc slides to get by. so after returning home I send the drive back and they refused service - I was a couple days past the 2 year mark.

needless to say I will never buy anything form g.skill again. Not just for their sucky products but also that they don't stand behind whatever they sell - which is arguably more important than the product itself.

Not happy.

Had two drives fail and a 3rd that needed replacing before I even got it.

Corsair Nova *periodically disappeared from BIOS from the beginning
Corsair Reactor (RMA replacement of Nova) *failed after 9 months
Corsair Force 3 *same issue as Nova except way worse. when it did show up it would only last about 5-10 minutes. This was a free RMA though as it was a posted recall :)

Have not had a Sandforce die on me yet (minus the Force 3 that was recalled before I even received it), and the newer drives (Intel/Micron) I have used I have not used for 6+ months to validate reliability.

i currently have 4 ssds in my possession and 1 of them failing was the ocz agility first gen drive failing. it started showing signs of error after about 5 months and i resorted to a destructive flash from their forum. another 2 months comes and errors start popping up again. i was lazy the past few months and did not bother to do RMA until recently. i just received what seems to be a brand new ocz agility drive back via UPS and will see how long this one will last.

If a secure erase fixed it and they popped off again later I would look at a fill test as a storage device and see if that works fine. Also especially since you are on p45, you should monitor you ICH temps and if they are low you might need a slight bump in voltage.

SSD will tax out Southbridges and this is a good portion of there are so many problems with intel storage controllers over the last few years. Without SSDs we would not have had overheating SBs and failing SATA2 controllers.

If a secure erase fixed it and they popped off again later I would look at a fill test as a storage device and see if that works fine. Also especially since you are on p45, you should monitor you ICH temps and if they are low you might need a slight bump in voltage.

SSD will tax out Southbridges and this is a good portion of there are so many problems with intel storage controllers over the last few years. Without SSDs we would not have had overheating SBs and failing SATA2 controllers.
in my scenario, it was the ocz agility i had being the fail drive it is. i've tried a mushkin 60gb ssd and 2 crucial M4 64gb drives without any of them failing on me so far in the months they were in my sig computer. so in this case it is not the chipset failing at all due to temperatures or voltages.. just your plain old ocz drives failing plain as day as usual. what you recommend to do would work for some though.

another amusing situation was AFTER i did the destructive flash, i used the ocz agility for my laptop over a span of 3 months. then... the dreaded errors started popping up after a restart for some windows updates. same issue as before i did the destructive flash.

My Kingston has been flawless for like at least a year and half now. Use it daily on my main computer.

Back