• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i2500k + Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Settings ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeLoader

Hi all new user here!

Would be nice to hear what you guys have your Bios/UEFI settings for your overcklock.

I will get the motherboard and the H100 Cooler next week and just want to start of with a base overclock say 4.5 Ghz.

Is it enough to just up the multipler to 45 and say set the V -core at 1.3V and im set ?
As I will start with 4.5Ghz I dont have to play around with PPL Voltage/Offset mode and things like that correct ?

So just up the voltage and set my mem at the XMP profile whitch would be 1600Mhz as it's the DDR3 Corsair Vengeance.

Do you think that could get me started and btw I presume I have to disable some things like the Intel Turbo/O/C mode and maybe some other settings right ?

So if you have the time to help me out it would be great so I know where to begin :)

Best Regards
/Mike

Posted the below over in OCAU:

Spent last night and the wee hours of this morning building the rig in my sig. Today, despite the nice weather in Melbourne, spent locked indoors to see what this chip can do.

5Ghz - Prime95 (blend test) stable for 1 hour
VCC at 1.400v and LLC at "Ultra High"

5Ghz - LinX stable for 10 runs
VCC at 1.425v and LLC at "Extreme"

As you can see, I had to bump up VCC and LLC higher to get stability in LinX. Any lower, and it freezes on me forcing a restart.

4.5Ghz - Prime95 (blend test) stable for 1 hour
VCC at 1.25v and LLC at "Ultra High"

I didn't bother doing a LinX (lowest VCC possible setting) stability test at 4.5Ghz. Thought Prime95 was good enough. I'll be keeping the above 4.5Ghz settings as my daily setup.

On another note, playing with it around with it more and I can get the voltage down to 1.23v for the 4.5Ghz o/c. The RAM, on the other hand, has been a PITA to try and get it over and above 1600Mhz. Pumping 1.60v and increasing VCCIO to 1.1**v does nothing for stability at 1866Mhz. However, if DRAM voltage is kept just above default of 1.50v, then it's happy to do tighter timings at 8-8-7-16-1T - what's up with that? :confused:

Had to increase voltage by 5.97% (1.51v in the BIOS and mostly 1.504v throughout the Prime95 run) to get a 4.00% increase in clocks over what I could get with 1.425v (5.2Ghz vs 5.0Ghz). Tried to get it back down to 1.50v, but kept on BSOD'ing on me after 10mins or so of Prime95.

Settings used were:
- VCORE @ 1.51v
- VCCIO @ 1.08**v
- VRM Frequency @ 400
- LLC @ Ultra High
- CPU PLL Voltage @ 1.80v
- PCH Voltage @ 1.05v

I usually post my system in my sig, but there is a pre-requisite post count before sigs can work here, so, here is my system:

- i5 [email protected][1.23v]
- ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
- 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D@1600Mhz[8-8-7-16-1T]
- GB GTX260 SOC [720/1550/1260]
- 150GB Raptor, 500GB Samsung, 500GB*2 WD (RAID0)
- 700W Seasonic M12
- Dell U2711, Samsung 226BW
- Cuplex Kryos HF, XSPC RX240, Panaflo FBA12G12H*2, Eheim 1048

Hi Rod911!

Thank you for the reply but as im kinda new to all this O/C couse I have been away a couple of years from Pc's that dont say me much im afraid hehe.

But thanks anyway mate :)

Btw what things do you disable when you overclock ?
E.x any power saving stuff and so on ?

Found the following two guides very useful when overclocking my system. Pretty much followed it to a tee:

Link
Link

Also, I have added a 70mm fan to cool the VRMs. During the 5.2 session, I found the heatsinks getting a tad bit warm to my liking - especially after upping the VRM frequency to "400". I'll post the insides of my rig tomorrow...it's kind of getting late here and I need to get me some sleep.

edit: I recently upgrade my rig also. Well more like a complete overhaul! I previously had an Opteron 170 setup, and before that, an AthlonXP. So it has been a while (since PII days) for me to play around with Intel again. Kind of glad I have. I see myself keeping this rig for a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time as well. :D

Last edited:
Nice I will check out these guides sloowley as all these guides makes me head spin and I dont now where to beging :screwy:

Thats why I was asking for some general advice just to jump start in :)

As I get it you cant really go wrong what you do, one can use mostly Auto on everything just to begin. Up the multipler to 45 and set mem to XMP and off ya go but it's advisable to tune the settings by yourself.

Will look into it more and start clocking as soon as I get my gear next week.
Cant wait it feels so nice to be back to Pc´s and gaming and I see you thinks the same mate :D

Thanks a lot!!

Found the following two guides very useful when overclocking my system. Pretty much followed it to a tee:

Link
Link

Also, I have added a 70mm fan to cool the VRMs. During the 5.2 session, I found the heatsinks getting a tad bit warm to my liking - especially after upping the VRM frequency to "400". I'll post the insides of my rig tomorrow...it's kind of getting late here and I need to get me some sleep.

edit: I recently upgrade my rig also. Well more like a complete overhaul! I previously had an Opteron 170 setup, and before that, an AthlonXP. So it has been a while (since PII days) for me to play around with Intel again. Kind of glad I have. I see myself keeping this rig for a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time as well. :D

My rig:

Ignore my lack of cabling skills. This is the best I could do with an old school Cooler Master Stacker case. I really like this case becaue I could invert the motherboard tray. I find this great for watercooling because, if it leaks, the water just falls back down on the bottom of the case. If it was positioned the normal way, then of course, the graphics card gets hit by the water. The radiator is positioned to the left, below the HDD bay. Yes, the airflow is more restrictive (taking advantage of the built-in drive bay filters), but I don't have to worry about dust getting in so much.

@ the OP my recommendation is to start off small, set a vcore/temp limit for yourself. Most people use the 'keep it under 80C' rule for 100% load, so that is a safe place to start. From there with regards to vcore I like to keep my 24/7 vcore numbers at or below 1.4v (while keeping the temperature rule in-check). With those two things being watched bump up your multiplier one by one (start at say, 1.35v @ a 40x multiplier for 4.0ghz) and then bump up one at a time testing for stability and temperatures with a program like LinX/Intel Burn Test/Prime95 (and using CoreTemp for watching your temps) until you get to your desired speed/voltage/temperatures. If you get to a point where you can no longer boot try adding a bit more vcore (such as another .1 to make it 1.36 from 1.35, and so on).

Thank you guys for the answers :)

Built my new rig and it seems stable so now I will start O/C a bit, cant wait :D

Back