• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Kelvin Coolidge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In other news, a wild FrozenCPU package appeared with some miscellaneous parts!

1134371.jpg

We've got:
A nice crimping tool, since my all-purpose electrical crimper just wasn't cutting it.
A PSU tester, just to make sure I put all those wires in the right hole ;)
100' more of UV Blue 16 AWG wire, just to be on the safe side
Another 90 degree, and 40mm fitting
Some anodized black thumbscrews
Wire management saddles
And a CPU lapping pack!

Time to start lapping it up!

1134375.jpg

Yeah unless you got very very lucky, or don't wanna go over 4.5ghz delidding makes a big difference.
Only bad thing is impacts the sub-zero results supposedly, but well, not sure if you're gonna attempt 6ghz+ with a 3570k.

CPU Lapping!

Four hours, a bloody finger, and quite a few grey goose-lemonades later, I have a lapped CPU!

Time spent: 0:05

1134710.jpg

Time spent: 1:45

1134712.jpg

Time spent: 2:20

1134713.jpg

Time spent: 3:00

1134714.jpg

Time spent: 3:20

1134715.jpg

Time spent: 4:00

1134718.jpg

1134719.jpg

1134720.jpg

Summary:

I went from 400, to 800, to 1200 (pic says 1000), to 2000, to 2500 grit, re-wetting and rinsing the sandpaper every 60 seconds or so. The hands-down longest time spent was on the 400 grit to break through the aluminum plate onto the copper, but after that it was smooth sailing. The pictures honestly don't do it justice and it is as shiny as a mirror.

1134721.jpg

CPU Block Mounting!

After a good precautionary day (or two) of letting the CPU dry off, it's seated with the XSPC Raystorm block and Koolance QDCs.

IMG_0889.jpg

XFire/ SLI Block Installation

I picked up a Swiftech Xfire/SLI triple block to connect my spanned GPUs. I like to give them a little room in the middle and space them out so the triple block comes in nicely for that. Since the triple block has 6 ports on the bottom and two on each side, it's got quite a bit of holes to plug. My solution? LED plugs. I soldered 4 plugs together and ran into a 3 pin fan connector. This will be ran up front and controlled alongside all the other white lights in the case.

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Miscellaneous Update

My front panel USB 3.0 bay was bright silver, as was my DVD drive, so on went a healthy dosing of acoustic foam. The USB bay will be sitting directly below the dual bay reservoir so I used the extra space on the sides to insert 2 - 4" UV cathodes. These connect to a transformer mounted underneath and will be routed to the 'UV Channel' on the fan controller.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Also to prep was the front single fan that'll be placed below the drive bays, in front of the SSD rack.

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Which left me with one of the biggest problems I haven't been able to solve. Where to put my 3.5" 2TB HDD? The SSD rack could technically hold three drives and I could always mount a light SSD many more places than a heavy HDD. What I didn't like was the non-uniformity that 2 SSDs and 1 HDD presented. 3 SSDs together looks much nicer. So searching around the case led me to try out under the PSU. Perfect fit! There's a 2 mm gap between the bottom of the HDD and the lip of the rear rad which will support the drive if the industrial-strength double-sided tape I used ever comes loose.

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Which brings me to here. I've started on the custom DVD drive + 3 SSD SATA power line that'll run all the way to the rear of the case. Once I get the rack mocked up and measure the length, the sleeving and connector assembly can commence.

IMG_0918.jpg

SSD cage + DVD drive power cable finished and installed!

Also, a little wire management courtesy of industrial strength hot glue and wire saddles.

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Now that I'm finally getting most of the components in the rig, I'm starting to deal with the cable routing beast. Being an entirely open case, it's quite the challenge to route all the necessary cables and wires. Note I didn't say impossible!
I've got a vision of all of the various SATA power, SATA data, molex power, and WC tube to run parallel to each other to span the gap from front to rear. Keeping with a TRON-esque theme, the straight lines with UV blue underglow spanning across the case could very well help that theme.
So, I am open, as always, to suggestions on cable routing/ management thus far! I'm working with 36" SATA data cables and custom everything else. If I need to lengthen it, it's not a large problem. What are y'alls thoughts? Keep the straight lines? Ditch them and route in the corner? Go straight across the air gap to the mobo? Use alien technologies and put all these cables in my brain and control CPUs by blinking?

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

That actually looks pretty good laid out neatly along the bottom of the case. But is there enough space to do that with all that cabling ? If not , is there any way to 'layer' them within that same theme ? Maybe with an air gap between stacks ? Like this === (side view)

Absolutely great build , BTW. Been subbed from the beginning. I'm going to miss it when you're done!

That actually looks pretty good laid out neatly along the bottom of the case. But is there enough space to do that with all that cabling ? If not , is there any way to 'layer' them within that same theme ? Maybe with an air gap between stacks ? Like this === (side view)

Absolutely great build , BTW. Been subbed from the beginning. I'm going to miss it when you're done!

I'm looking at an additional 12-20 16AWG sleeved wires running for power and temp sensors and the like so we'll see how cluttered it will get. Stacking them is a great idea! Hmm, maybe I will try out some UV Blue acrylic as a middle plate to separate the layers?
As far as the cable hold downs, the fasteners that you see in the pics. They keep everything nice and straight and tought so the lines lay perfectly straight, though I think with all of them down there, it starts to clutter up and look 'industrial-like'. Since I'm going for sleek TRON-likeness, what are you thoughts on the clips?

For being subbed, thank you very much! It's great to see other modders find my build worthwhile of reading!

Back