• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing does FX-83xx seem to flat line after 4.3GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RGone you have put some serious hours into this testing lately and I for one appreciate it. I know that some of my testing inspired this and wish I had been more active in the last month. If there's something I can do to help ya out just let me know.

Going to try my FX-8530 on an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional mobo and see if all is the same or pretty close to the same as on my CHV.
RGone...
This is my thanks to Rgone and Wizard.
It will be nice to see how it does, I have my fingers crossed that we will have an alternative to CHV, Sabertooth, and UD7/5 boards.

Thanks for the offer 'ssjwizard', it is appreciated. Thanks for mentioning the 'spoiler' thing but I think you may have inadvertently created a 'spoiler monster' with "Mandrake4565". He asked how to use 'spoiler' and I sent him what you sent me and added a little that helped me get rolling since I had no idea of the real use of the paper clip and now he is just a "spoiler maniac". Hehehe. Pretty soon you won't even see his post at all just the spoiler. Hehehe.

Right now I have such a head cold that hit me yesterday that I cannot hardly think. Feel like shett sucking on a lifesaver.

I remembered that this FX-8350 was tested for stable up to 5.2Ghz and I need to test the FX-6300 to at least 5.0Ghz before I pull it out of the FatLady, so I have that to do before I can remove the FX-6300. I almost had forgotten that little item that I had wanted to do. Oh well back to the trudging thru more testing. At least now I have an easy to get to record of the cpu voltages and setting the FatLady up is no problem now that I have had it for use and not thinking about the CHV.
RGone...

Vitamin C Rgone, 2000 milligrams a day 1k in the morning and 1k in the evening, that always helps me. I can usually kick any cold in 3 days doing that. :thup: Dr Mandrake out ;)

Follow the LINK..to read more of the continuing saga of my FX-8350 journey. Scoll down to Post #37 to begin reading about my FX-8350 socketed into another mobo other than my CHV.
RGone...

Testing about a minor discussion from another thread...

...there is a thread in here where a user seems to have his P95 Blend testing completing 10 tests on a/some cores and finishing 27 to 33 tests on other cores. It was speculated among some of us that the Vcore might be too low. It was said that when P95 Blend failed we were only just adding enough Vcore to complete the testing. Maybe this was not fully enough Vcore to let all the cores keep up and stay close to each other in completing more nearly the same number of tests.

Now as hot as these FX processors run when we force "all" cores to run at the same time and then overclock "all" the cores, it is very conceivable that we are just using enough Vcore to finish a P95 Blend run. Maybe not fully enough Vcore to supply all the cores completely at the voltage they need to run equally.

Based on that theory or possibility of just barely enough Vcore; I just ran P95 Blend and I DID give it enough Vcore, because I am not overly concerned with temperatures. The image below shows MY results.
RGone...

You can click on the Resize bar to view image full size.
a4.7Ghz 1hr P95 1.5ShownVcore.jpg

Last edited:
so then not enough vcore...

interesting behavior. Something i wouldn't see on my phii. I wonder why it does that when undervolted.

so then not enough vcore...

interesting behavior. Something i wouldn't see on my phii. I wonder why it does that when undervolted.

As stated, it was a theory that low Vcore might contribute to workers falling far behind in completing tests by core.

"mandrake4565" was theorizing that it was caused by low Vcore and I was testing known "enough Vcore" and was not seeing test completed variance in the same time frame that varied by 10 or more completions per core.

"mandrake4565" reported back in "SouthernStyle" s thread after testing his known good P95 Blend testing but doing so with lowered Vcore did in fact fail the P95 test but during the time the test was running before failure, the number of tests completed per core was NOT actually varying. From this "mandrake565" concluded the problem of a few workers completing P95 Blend tests with a great difference in the number of tests per core do not have a huge difference that is caused by low Vcore.

So actual testing has not progressed further. User "SouthernStyle" has not posted any further in his thread where he had workers completing 10 tests and other cores closer to 30 tests during the same time period of testing.

I have come to believe in "SouthernStyle"s case he may have a bad cpu with such huge variance in number of worker tests completed during the same time frame. I have not voiced that in his thread yet. I have about come to the bad cpu conclusion after researching number of tests completed in one time frame varies per core. The number of completions should not vary so greatly, is the conclusion I have come to.

I see most understand that the first core may complete less tests in a single time frame since it maybe having cpu cycles stolen due to other overhead. That makes sense actually. Once getting beyond that consensus, you suddenly get ideas that are all over the place. Most suggest running P95 Blend by itself with all background uses DISabled so that cpu cycles are not stolen from P95 Blend testing. On the surface that would make good sense, but in my particular system, not DISabling other cycle stealers, still does not cause a huge variance in the number of tests each of my 8 cores is able to finish in the same length of time.

In closing I don't have "SouthernStyle"s issues. He has not reported into his thread where he voiced his concerns of the number of test completions varying so greatly by core, over the same period of time. Thus I guess from my perspective my testing of such an issue is over.
RGone...

Very nice work RGone! :clap:
This was an incredibly worthy read now that I'm about to push my rig to the limit! Good to know where I get the most bang for my clock cycles ;)
Kudos :attn:

got mine.

ok so i got mine up and running. cores 5 and 6 are real weak at 4.8 and above so i guess over 4.8 i have another 6300, yeaaaaaa.
I have had much to do today so i have done no tweaking.
I got this thing because, I was board and tired of fixing the car i trashed the other day and fixing another for me to drive today and dealing with the one i trashed about a month ago and babysitting my little woman who had surgery friday but is being just the best little trooper. so it looks like 5.0 is all this one will do till i can drop the room temps from 75f that the little woman has the house set on.

Attachments

• prime 95.JPG
    prime 95.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 116
  • cinebench.JPG
    cinebench.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 116
  • fire strike.JPG
    fire strike.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 116
I could not tell how long Pee95 ran. See only just barely got warm with that Vcore.

RGone...:attn:_________:grouphug:

about 15 mins on that one.
I was expecting over 90c, i am only using the 3x120 rad setup and not the 18x120.

at 4.8

Attachments

• 4-8 cinebench.JPG
    4-8 cinebench.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 4-8 snip.JPG
    4-8 snip.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 4-8 firestrike.JPG
    4-8 firestrike.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 109
putzin around 4.8 after about 20 mins requires that the fans come up on high,
3 3000 rpm fans and thats just not going to work around here. so i set up a 4.7 clock with the ram up a little and it's a sweet little clock, the rad fans run at 5 volts and i don't have to hear them and the "cpu" fan that cools the vrm only comes up once in a while and i can live with that. the vcore is a little higher because when i put this rig to work it's under linux and that program takes more vcore than prime 95 under windows.

Attachments

• 4700 snip.JPG
    4700 snip.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 4-7 cinebench.JPG
    4-7 cinebench.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 4-7 firestrike.JPG
    4-7 firestrike.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
kenny, I just got the poor little thing, I now have my cpu clock and I can work on the memory next.

Caddi you have the Cpu LLc on Extreme? I looks like it's getting a real kick in the bottom under load.

Back