• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
125 Amps on the 12 volt rail?!?!?!

:drool: Holy cow! That's a beast! :thup:
Can't wait for moar pics! ^_^

EDIT: Haha! Oops. Looks like the forums didn't put me on the newest post :-/

We've apparently officially put his Photobucket over capacity. HOST THE PICS HERE!! MOAR!

:clap::clap:

Locally (OCF) hosted pics help people see your build from work :)

My only option when adding pictures is with a URL. How do I host the pictures locally on OCF?

I've added unlimited bandwidth to the Photobucket account to take care of the immediate issue, but I can see where storage space may become an issue again in the future. Do you have a link for more info on OCF hosting? Want to make sure these pictures are available long-term for the build log here.

My only option when adding pictures is with a URL. How do I host the pictures locally on OCF?

I've added unlimited bandwidth to the Photobucket account to take care of the immediate issue, but I can see where storage space may become an issue again in the future. Do you have a link for more info on OCF hosting? Want to make sure these pictures are available long-term for the build log here.

Glick "Go Advanced" then use the paperclip icon.
After you have uploaded the pics, click the paperclip icon again to insert the images in-line with text.

You can also do this in a post edit :thup:

Glick "Go Advanced" then use the paperclip icon.
After you have uploaded the pics, click the paperclip icon again to insert the images in-line with text.

You can also do this in a post edit :thup:

Ah-ha. I guess the biggest drawback is the 2 meg limit. That would nerf most of these pics big time. Is there a preferred method used by most?

Ah-ha. I guess the biggest drawback is the 2 meg limit. That would nerf most of these pics big time. Is there a preferred method used by most?

I use the batch resize in Photoshop.
There's a LOT of tools out there to resize (even by the folder).

I use the batch resize in Photoshop.
There's a LOT of tools out there to resize (even by the folder).

Yes, I use Photoshop and Lightroom extensively. By 'nerf', I just meant that the pictures would be less than 1/2 the res of the photobucket posted pics.

Do they really block photobucket at your work....but not block overclockers.com? Strange world we live in.

Yes, I use Photoshop and Lightroom extensively. By 'nerf', I just meant that the pictures would be less than 1/2 the res of the photobucket posted pics.

Do they really block photobucket at your work....but not block overclockers.com? Strange world we live in.

A lot of companies block Photobucket, imgur, and other image hosting sites.

What I would do is keep a link to a Photobucket or Flickr with the full-res pics (since I assume you'll use it at other sites anyway), and load here with our hosting tool.
Then if anything happens to your host of choice we don't have a picture-less thread either :)

All right. It's time to test paint some fans. But first, I need to pick a pink paint. Say "pick a pink paint" three times really fast...puh-lease. My powder was prevoiusly picked, but I plan to pursue pink paint for plastic parts.

Any-who.,.,..I'm actually going to have one more small batch of parts that I use the same Rosette Pink powder on. Small things like faceplates, SSD casings, etc. That works for anything aluminum. I can have that powdercoated. But there will be some plastic parts that also need to receive the "pink treatment", so I need to find a pink paint that is a good match. And fans will be the major plastic part that gets painted.

I started by heading to my local Hobby Lobby and picking up all kinds of shades of pink and flourescent pink paint.

0001-_MG_0309.jpg

I didn't shy away from picking up some of the smaller tubes of paint. It's a heavier medium, and I would probably never brush this on to fans for fear of not getting it evenly spread....but I can always thin it down and put it in a spray gun if I find a tube of pink that is the best match. I decided to put down spots of color on a black piece of cardboard, since the main thing I'll paint is the fans, and those are black.

I started with the two samples that were rattle cans.....

0002-_MG_0310.jpg

Then used a brush to paint circles of color for the rest of the paint samples....

0004-_MG_0312.jpg

and a second coat and third for some spots. I really looked like a pre-schooler at this point with all my bowls of paint out and circles of pink on my board. :)

0005-_MG_0313.jpg

None of the flourescent pinks were anywhere close to what I needed. I didn't even get out a UV light to try them, because they look so off in normal light.

There were several colors that were close....but this one was the closest. It's called Medium Magenta and is from Liquitex. It also had a very cool finish to it. Nice paint.

0006-_MG_0314.jpg

In the case....

0007-_MG_0315.jpg

Liquitex is actually available in rattle cans also....so now I just need to go find some. Hobby Lobby didn't carry the spray can version. But I believe Michael's does....so I'm off!

Painting time! It has been beautiful outside this weekend here in Edmond, OK, so I thought it would be a good time to paint some sample fans. I found the Liquitex spray cans in the color I was after. While picking up paint, I also got a metallic nickel color from Velspar. I've mentioned this before, but I'll have a lot of nickel plated blocks in this build, so nickel will already be an existing color. Not sure I want it on my fans, but the whole point in trying out some sample combinations of colors is to see what looks the best. So I'm playing around with pink, black and nickel on the fan painting.

I grabbed one of my Corsair fans and told it that he was going to be sacrificed to the test painting spirits. Another fan immediately called out...."I volunteer myself as tribute!" I decided to sacrifice them both. :)

0001-_MG_0318.jpg

I promise more pictures of the fan prepping when I do it for real. This is just for testing. But I popped off the blades. Popped off the accent rings. Removed the stickers. Taped up the privates. And removed the rubber corners from the fan frames. Now we are ready.....

0002-_MG_0319.jpg

A quickie painting booth in the backyard....

0003-_MG_0320.jpg

0004-_MG_0321.jpg

You can see that there are three parts in each booth. The blades, the frame, and the accent ring. That gives me lots of combinations to try. I've already taken the photos up in the faux studio....so I'll post them tomorrow after I've had a chance to play with them. There are some pretty combinations! Pretty pink combinations! Pretty pink powerful combinations! Plenty of pretty pink powerful combinations! Plenty of pre......ok. I'll stop.

Painting time

I grabbed one of my Corsair fans and told it that he was going to be sacrificed to the test painting spirits. Another fan immediately called out...."I volunteer myself as tribute!" I decided to sacrifice them both. :)

:rofl: you have a nice Imagination Fantastic :clap:

Here are some shots of the painted fan combinations. I have three parts that I can swap.....the frame, the blades and the accent ring. And I was playing with three colors.....pink, black and nickel.

Here are three with pink frames, nickel accent ring, and all three blade colors....

0001-_MG_0322.jpg

0002-_MG_0323.jpg

0003-_MG_0324.jpg

Here are three with black frame, pink accent ring, and all three blade colors.....

0004-_MG_0325.jpg

0005-_MG_0326.jpg

0006-_MG_0327.jpg

Here are three with black frame, nickel accent ring, and all three blade colors.....

0007-_MG_0328.jpg

0008-_MG_0329.jpg

0009-_MG_0330.jpg

For some reason I missed taking the shots with the nickel colored frame. Not sure why. I do have some shots of those in the next group I'll post, which is of the fans in the case. I also passed on taking shots of combinations that had the same colored frame and accent ring. It just adds more contrast and depth to the fans when the frame and accent ring are different colors.

I'd love to know which ones are your favorites! This is a democracy.....everyone gets to vote! But Jenn's vote counts as 50. :p

You'll see after I post the shots of the fans inside the case, but my favorite fans outside of the case, are not necessarily my favorites inside the case.

I actually think Pink frame, Nickel ring, and just the center of the fan painted pink would look good.

The black frame with colored blades is.. I dunno, just doesn't look right to me.

Pink accent rings with bkack blades would look good if you could also paint the ear insert thingamajigs pink as well.

I actually think Pink frame, Nickel ring, and just the center of the fan painted pink would look good.

The black frame with colored blades is.. I dunno, just doesn't look right to me.

Pink accent rings with bkack blades would look good if you could also paint the ear insert thingamajigs pink as well.

If I did just the center of the fan blades....I'd probably do it with a sticker instead of trying to paint. Could work in the Corsair logo in pink, and maybe the build name.

Let me know what you think after the next set of pictures I post. For me...the black blades just kind of disappear when the pink hex mesh of the case is in front of the fans. It kind of needs a color there...or it looks blah. I started liking the nickel blades better once I saw them behind the pink hex mesh.

But for the ones that will be on the insides of the radiators or case....I think pink blades might be too overwhelming. For those...I think I'm liking the black blades and frames, with pink accent ring. I definitely may consider two different color schemes depending on whether they are on the outside of the radiators (being seen through the pink hex mesh) or inside the radiators/case with nothing in front of them.

I would Go with (PIC) Number 3 or 5 after all you did Name it Pinky right

I like those. But I would probably pick #9 over #5 just to give it more contrast with the nickel colored ring. I'm a sucker for the three color fans.

Back