• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Love the build! I'm curious why you didn't go with more white as that is his other color. Just sayin.

Love the build! I'm curious why you didn't go with more white as that is his other color. Just sayin.

Thanks lkrose78! The original theme of the build was just pink and black. Those were my marching orders. The only reason pink panther is in the build is I like to have a photo prop as a constant throughout the build, ...and he was available. :)

Here are the photos of the fan combinations behind the pink hex mesh of the case. For each combination, I have a series of two pictures. First I show the fan without the case cover on (so you can tell which one it is), and then a second picture of the exact same fan with the pink cover on the case. If you're like me, my favorite fan combinations changed once I saw them behind the pink hex mesh. That's why I'll probably end up with two different combinations of fan colors in this build.

Black frame, nickel ring, pink blades:

0010-_MG_0331-PSD.jpg

0011-_MG_0332-PSD.jpg

Black frame, nickel ring, nickel blades:

0012-_MG_0333-PSD.jpg

0013-_MG_0334-PSD.jpg

Black frame, nickel ring, black blades:

0014-_MG_0335-PSD.jpg

0015-_MG_0336-PSD.jpg

Black frame, pink ring, black blades:

0016-_MG_0337-PSD.jpg

0017-_MG_0338-PSD.jpg

Black frame, pink ring, pink blades:

0018-_MG_0339-PSD.jpg

0019-_MG_0340-PSD.jpg

Black frame, pink ring, nickel blades:

0020-_MG_0341-PSD.jpg

0021-_MG_0342-PSD.jpg

Pink frame, nickel ring, black blades:

0022-_MG_0343-PSD.jpg

0023-_MG_0344-PSD.jpg

Pink frame, nickel ring, pink blades:

0024-_MG_0345-PSD.jpg

0025-_MG_0346-PSD.jpg

Pink frame, nickel ring, nickel blades:

0026-_MG_0347-PSD.jpg

0027-_MG_0348-PSD.jpg

These next ones have the nickel frame, and were not included in my solo fan shots. Purely by accident.

Nickel frame, pink ring, black blades:

0028-_MG_0349-PSD.jpg

0029-_MG_0350-PSD.jpg

Nickel frame, pink ring, pink blades:

0030-_MG_0351-PSD.jpg

0031-_MG_0352-PSD.jpg

Nickel frame, pink ring, nickel blades:

0032-_MG_0353-PSD.jpg

0033-_MG_0354-PSD.jpg

Find your favorite fan from the previous shots in the ones above, and see if it is still your favorite fan when it's behind the pink hex mesh. For me...I think the nickel and pink colors provide lots more contrast and pop when behind the pink mesh. I like to see the shape of the fan behind the mesh, and with the black color, you really can't. It just blends away like it's not there. I like to see them! For the ones behind the mesh....I think one of my favorites is the black frames, pink ring and nickel blades. I like how the frame disappears into the black...and you are left with the pink circle that really pops, and then the more subtle color of the nickel blades that show up well behind the pink hex mesh.

For the ones inside the case/radiators (not behind the pink hex mesh), I'm not sure which ones are my favorite.

I know Jenn is peeking in and looking at pictures, so now is your chance to influence her decision with wise counsel. :)

OH Now I understand what you are talking about and yes stick with the
nickel and pink colors yes I see that Now

Thanks lkrose78! The original theme of the build was just pink and black. Those were my marching orders. The only reason pink panther is in the build is I like to have a photo prop as a constant throughout the build, ...and he was available. :)

LOL...understood. I would also pick #3 from the fans.

Thanks for all the comments, observations, opinion and suggestions guys! Jennifer has narrowed it down to just a few combination possibilities...and has requested to see them spinning.

I'm working on that right now....so I'll shoot video as I do it and post it here.

I also have an exciting new sponsor to announce....but I want to take some pictures first. These guys stepped up in a major way to support this build, and I can't wait to share it!

What would a Corsair sponsored build be....without some Corsair memory? My friends at Corsair REALLY came through for this build. They are sponsoring it in a big way. I've already shown you the AX1500i, all those gorgeous SP120 and AF120 fans, the amazing little Neutron SSD's....and now....the memory......

0001-_MG_0360.jpg

0002-_MG_0361.jpg

Corsair packaging is always amazing for their flagship products. Still can't get over how nice the PSU packaging was....and now look at this RAM package. Each stick is enclosed in the normal plastic casing....but then the plastic casings are embedded in this nice little rubberish cutout. The shape of the cutouts is consistent across the entire line of Dominator Platinum memory....and even some of the accessories. Very nice touch. When you spend top dollar on components, it should come in nice packaging. Corsair understands that.

0003-_MG_0362.jpg

He asked what it was, and I told him "memory". He said, "I just take Ginkgo Biloba". :ty: :ty:

0004-_MG_0363.jpg

Pink Panther suggested that this RAM is so good looking....that we should really just let him get out the way and shoot some glamour shots with the sticks. I obliged.

0005-_MG_0364.jpg

These sleeving colors are not being used in the build....but I thought they looked nice with the RAM.

0006-_MG_0365.jpg

I like the nice muted reflection of the sleeving on the light bars in this pic.....

0007-_MG_0366.jpg

0008-_MG_0367.jpg

You can see the Corsair Link connections well in this shot. I'll tinker with that for this build probably. Haven't used that monitoring tool before. I'd like to see what it's like.

0009-_MG_0368.jpg

0010-_MG_0369.jpg

0011-_MG_0370.jpg

0012-_MG_0371.jpg

0013-_MG_0372.jpg

I used 64GB of Dominator GT's in my last build. This will be my first experience with the Dominator Platinum line. I purposely chose 4X4 GB for 16GB total. I found that with my last build, I had trouble getting 64GB to overclock....or even get up to the XMP profile settings. I could overclock them when I used just 4 sticks (32GB), but not at 8 sticks (64GB). Just too taxing on the IMC I guess. Well.....Jenn should have plenty of Pinterest power with 16GB of memory, and this let me use less dense sticks, ....and just 4 sticks instead of 8. I think this is the optimal setup for this build. It is still utilizing quad channel memory configuration....but hopefully has enough headroom for some overclocking. This is rated at 2133 MHz and a nice tight CL9. I'll see how far I can push it.

I dunno ... I'm not sure the black on silver matches the overall theme of this build ...

:thup: on the sponsorship though.

I dunno ... I'm not sure the black on silver matches the overall theme of this build ...

:thup: on the sponsorship though.

Thanks! Corsair has been very kind and very supportive of this build. And...you know that black and silver is going to change. :)

@cpachris

Looking amazing man WOW Can you Please build my Next build for me :)

Lol...I'd probably take longer than you wanted.

Build log index and hardware list updated in the opening post. Three weeks in and it's still up to date! This is so unlike me....

Here are pics of the last of my Corsair sponsored items. The Dominator Platinum Light Bar Upgrade Kits!

0001-_MG_0373.jpg

These come in the same awesome packaging as the actual RAM modules do. Again....Corsair knows how to package their flagship line of products.

0002-_MG_0375.jpg

The kit requires you to replace the aluminum cover that comes on the light bar, with the ones in the kit. The ones in the kit have the cut-outs on top of the light bar. So....not only do you get that soft glow going downward that the regular light bars give you...you also get a glow of light showing through the cut-outs on top.

0003-_MG_0376.jpg

There are two different color inserts that come with the light bar upgrade kit. Blue and White. My goal with these is a little color modification. I think I want to take the black aluminum heat fins and have those powder coated in the same pink as the case. Then, I would take the aluminum light bar covers (the upgrade kit version), and have those powder coated the same black as the inside of the case. For the actual light...I'd like it to glow pink instead of white. I think that would look really boss to have the light bar cover be black, but a soft pink glow coming out of the cut-outs.

I've got a couple of different ideas. First idea, is I've picked up some pink lighting gels in a few different shades, from a local studio lighting store here. I could cut the gels to fit the lightbar. That is one option. The other idea is to use the same dye process I did on the sleeving in my last build....and actually dye the light bar and inserts to be pink. I'd have to do some samples and see how much light is transmitted both ways.

I'll take a lot of pictures of the trial and errors here as I get started on it. But I'm excited about the idea of having the only black and pink set of Corsair Dominator Platinums around. It will be a fun mod. I'm still deciding whether or not I want to replace the stickers on the RAM with some custom ones...., leave them as-is,.....or just remove them altogether.

Three awesome major league sponsors is worthy of a sponsor plaque. Introducing.....

PPPP-Sponsors.png

That is three companies that really know a thing or two about computer components. An incredible trio of power. I still can't believe that they are all sponsoring this build. Quite humbling actually. For those of you that followed my last build....you are probably painfully aware that I'll do a little photo shoot of each component I get...before the real assembly/modding starts to take place. But be patient....that day will come.

Plus...I think I may be on the verge of announcing another sponsor. Or two. :D :D :D :D :D Stay tuned!

Check out the bounty which springs forth from Slovenia.....

0001-_MG_0378.jpg

Of course there will be a series of shot for each major item group coming up over the next few days. Some of this stuff is bea-u-ti-ful! Thanks EK!

First up for the photoshoot out of my large and generous EK care package.....the XTX rads!

0001-_MG_0380-PSD.jpg

Like Corsair...EK is another one of the companies who always packages their products well. Attractive, protective, functional....

0002-_MG_0381.jpg

0003-_MG_0382.jpg

Comes with a set of long screws (30mm) and short screws, to get you through almost any installation.

0004-_MG_0383.jpg

Ahhhh....That's a good looking radiator. Nothing new about the XTX series....but it's EK's flagship line of radiators, and is always one of the top performers in testing.

0005-_MG_0384.jpg

The finish is superb, and the fins were almost perfect. It comes with 2x of the temporary stop fittings shown below, that you won't use. And also 2x of the nicer EK stop fittings. Allen wrench for the stop fittings included.

0006-_MG_0385-PSD.jpg

At 64mm thick, these are thicker than the SR-1's I used on my last build. Look and feel "muscle-y". Tough. I also love this bleed/fill/drain port on the bottom of the radiator. Could definitely come in handy.

0007-_MG_0386.jpg

Wait. What's that......

0008-_MG_0387-PSD.jpg

Oh yes. Of course. Rascally lil' panther.

0009-_MG_0388-PSD.jpg

My favorite shot....

0010-_MG_0389.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a small brush and using some Pink acrylic paint to fill in that EK logo on the side of the radiator.

0011-_MG_0390.jpg

Couldn't resist quickly putting on some fans to see what they look like on the rads. Love them!

0012-_MG_0391.jpg

0013-_MG_0392.jpg

0014-_MG_0393.jpg

The Mercury S8 will hold a 360 radiator in every spot that I'm using a 240. The reason I opted for the 240's was really that I didn't want to make anything feel crowded. By using 240's on the top of the case and in the flex-bays....this will leave me a little pocket of room for accessories in the flex bay that are longer (blu-ray, etc.), or for sleeving runs from shorter accessories. For the one that is side mounted in the bottom of the case, using a 240 leaves me a little pocket of space right behind the switch plate for all the cabling running from the front of the computer to the motherboard and other places. Could you still fit everything if you were using 360's? Probably. But it would be much tighter and cramped. That's not the look I'm going for with this build. Plus...3x 240's is probably more than enough radiator space to cool this Pinterest powerhouse!

Taking pictures of the CPU block now......more later.

Back