• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Forums, Seeding Collective

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

So I was thinking. when waiting for my Torrent client to find Seeds. which took quite a while, We should have a Seeding collective here at OC Forums.

Each Month Would Feature 1 Specific Linux Distro, that we would all agree to Seed for a minimum of X GB, We could also put in a request for a specific OS that might not be looming in the near future as the Monthly Feature. This idea is kind of a spin off of the Want Linux? thread. Now I don't really want to be the Organizer of such a project, since my time in Alternative OS's is quite limited as I mostly HAVE to work with Windows machines. but I do feel this would be a worth while project.

I would even be willing to retire my Sig to allow room for a
OCSC:currently seeding .............

Sort of like an "os of the month" program. I know some people might not want to install a new OS every month, but I think that this could be a good way to get several people using the same OS all at once, able to discuss and answer quesstions, and report bugs. I think we'd all have to agree on one architecture, like x86, so everyone is on the same page.

I vote Gentoo, x86 first. Then NetBSD x86....because I have both installed already, hehe.

indeed this would be a good idea, i have a little 6gig partition that i wouldnt mind changing os's on.

if we really got serious about it, since there would be various amounts of people doing this, we could have a collective review that was written about our thoughts on the os and could be published on the front page or just in the forums. i'm truck driving til the end of december after that i'm game

you could always do a virtual install in Qemu too, even in windows. It won't give you a feel for the speed of the OS, but you will still get an idea of how daily tasks and maintenance are performed.

Wouldn't it be possible/feasible to seed an iso for a distro install cd rather than installing an entire os, or am I missing the point?

Not really an OS of the month, it could be for those interested in doing so, but when Seeding you don't actually have to install the OS, you could just Seed the ISO, as Misfit138 mentioned

though during that "feature month" questions about how to install, and tips/tricks would be focused mostly on the feature OS.

yes, the original suggestion of seeding one iso a month does not have anything to do with installing that OS. I took it a step farther by thinking if we have a number of people who are going to be in posession of a new iso every month, why not have all of them install the OS and then there will be a small community of people all using the same "distro" at the same time to help each other out.

I mean, since March of this year, I've installed Win 2k, win xp, win vista, freebsd, pcbsd, netbsd, slackware, debian, dsl, gentoo x86, and gentoo amd64 on my computer. Some for less time than others, but I've gone thru the install process of all of those, and I know that if I was going to participate in this "seeding" venture, I'd be tempted to try out whatever it is that I was seeding.

I think installing the OS of the month as well would be great, but I know I would not be doing that, once I have configured SUSE 10.1 for my server, it wont be changing at all for at least a year. I may or may not have a play machine for OS installs at any given time so seeding an ISO no problem for me, but installing said ISO, little more of a problem, but I am all for fan support.

well, i figured out how to install bittorrent on my server, but I haven't figured out how to create a legit torrent file, so right now, I am seeding the NetBSD i386 install cd because they created the torrent file. I double checked, and it is ok for use to link directly to free, legit torrent files, so linux distro's and bsd's are ok.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/3.1/i386cd-3.1.iso.torrent

that is the torrent I am seeding at the moment, and i think there are 9 or 10 other people seeding too.

And as for a "OS Of the Month" install, you can always run it in Qemu or VMWare if you can't dedicate a partition to it and you still want to participate. Many OS's are all set to go and ready for download from OSZoo.org. check out http://www.oszoo.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

i realize that I am a big dumb animal, and with the help of kaltag, I found several other "official" torrents, so nm about me creating torrent files.

splat said:
yes, the original suggestion of seeding one iso a month does not have anything to do with installing that OS. I took it a step farther by thinking if we have a number of people who are going to be in posession of a new iso every month, why not have all of them install the OS and then there will be a small community of people all using the same "distro" at the same time to help each other out.

I mean, since March of this year, I've installed Win 2k, win xp, win vista, freebsd, pcbsd, netbsd, slackware, debian, dsl, gentoo x86, and gentoo amd64 on my computer. Some for less time than others, but I've gone thru the install process of all of those, and I know that if I was going to participate in this "seeding" venture, I'd be tempted to try out whatever it is that I was seeding.

Got it. I'm a little dense. :confused:

You OS hop about as much as I do, splat! By the time I get an OS up and running, I'm downloading and burning another iso to install all over again.
However, I think I have found a 'home' with Arch for now. Think I will install it a few more times in a row (I learn through repetition.)
As for seeding, I'd love to help too. (As long as my internet stays up for more than 5 minutes at a time. I never had this trouble with DSL! I hate cable!)

I'd be keen to seed and OS. I may run windows but I do dabble on the penguin side every so often, I've been more tempted to isntall Ubuntu lately because I'm feeling lazy... and slackware is large D:

But If I can be guided to a torrent, I'll download and seed it along with others :D

ok well, i guess I'll go ahead and take the initiative. keep your eyes peeled for a new thread for the "OS of the month"

Ok so I've been seeding, SUSE 10.1, Mandriva Power Pack 2006 DVD, and Gentoo live CD installer.

in 2 days I've uploaded
SUSE = 2.27Gb
Mandiva = 1.96Gb
Gentoo = 781MB

What this expresses to me is that the Seeding collective should be Seeding the Larger distributions (in Physical download Size) , rather then the small ones since I suspect the Small ones are easier to download direct.

I would also like to focus on some more obscure Linux variants. So what we need to do during the month of December is Choose which OS would be good for January, Why it would be good? size and lack of fast downloads? obscurity with lack of fast downloads? Under appreciated and in need of exposure?

we've got a month, lets set up some criteria, and choose
Jan/Feb/March OSes

Back