• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Wireless under Windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Windows XP/2000 dual boot. No probs under WinXP but under Win2K, cannot get this item to work:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050108&p_id=8072

Ultra-Mini USB Wireless Lan 802.11N Adapter - 1T1R (150Mbps)

Apparently it is a
Realtek RTL8188CUs

Even though most drivers claim Win 2K support, they are only for WinXP and up. I managed to find some Realtek RTL8192C drivers, which do correctly install Realtek RTL8188CU.

Cannot get rid of the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager and no software installs under Start Menu to control it (since Win2K has no native support like WinXP does).

EDIT: ...and of course 0.5 seconds after starting this thread, I figure out that taking out a USB flash drive and restarting fixes the yellow exclamation point problem.

Problem with getting it to work still exists since there is no software to select router info with under Windows 2000. There is no setting/configuration tool. It just doesn't install when Realtek Setup.exe is run. It does install under WinXP but not Win2K. So is there a third party tool?

There is no SSID setting, look ↓. How do I select the router and enter password? I disabled LAN in BIOS since I don't need the ethernet connection on motherboard.

Attachments

• NoSSID.png
    NoSSID.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,007
Last edited:
People still use Windows 2000?!
The "people still use?!" question should be "people still use a single operating system?!" :)

I have a Windows 7/XP/Vista/8 quadruple boot. My older computers are on a dual XP/2000 boot. That is how I know there is nothing wrong with hardware. It all works under WinXP but not under Win2K.

I believe that is incorrect and if someone says it is, I sure would like to see screen shots.

Error I get when launching REALTEK utility is:

Attachments

• Win2KWirelessError.png
    Win2KWirelessError.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,141
It is only available as a web based setup. I rebooted into XP, downloaded and installed it under XP and then rebooted back to Win 2000 and it worked there. Interesting info is available.

The thing is, USB wireless adapter is available under Device Manger and there is nothing wrong under Device Manager, but it does not show up under network and I don't know how to enable it to set it up with the router :shrug:

Thanks to the good folks at Monoprice, I just got this resolved.

They found a driver package not available when I did an extensive search. I would attach the whole thing but it's like 20MB. the description of it is RTL8192cu_WindowsDriver_1006.0.0614.2010.F0048.P100420_UI_1.00.0159.L

So if anyone hits this thread doing a search, you need that, however, that only installs working software allowing you to type in your router password to connect.

I had to manually install this driver which works with that software:

Attachments

• Win2K.zip
    334.9 KB · Views: 430
So if anyone hits this thread doing a search...

This guy did and PM'd me:

BWK said:
Hi, nice to meet you,
I have a RTL8188CUS USB LAN adapter, and I came to this link so much times (www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/719773-USB-Wireless-under-Windows-2000) im only here to send you a message because I need your help, how I do to install the driver ? I have windows 2000 on a old pentium 3, I have reinstalled windows 2000 and It doesnt work, whe Web didn't help me ...

I need to upload Software folder somewhere but here's the Win2K folder:
View attachment Win2K.zip

Exact file name of the Software folder is
TL8192cu_WindowsDriver_1006.0.0614.2010.F0048.P10 0420_UI_1.00.0159.L
maybe you can find it somewhere

1. Go to Software folder and double click on Setup.exe.
This will install software which will work under Windows 2000, however the actual driver will not.

2. After rebooting, go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware TAB > Device Manager... button >

Double click on + next to Network Adapters > Right click on RTL8188CU > Properties > Driver > Update Driver... > Next > SELECT: Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver > Next >
Have Disk... > Browse.. to the included Win2K folder > Open > OK >
SELECT: Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter > Next > Next > Finish > Close > OK

3. Double click on red vertical lines in the task bar to open REALTEK 11n USB Wireless LAN Utility >
Available Network TAB > Double click on your router > Enter password under Network key > OK > Close

4. Reboot then take the Wireless Adapter out and re-insert it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help!!
Afther hours of trying to fix it, now it works and I have WiFi on my Pentium 3, it works fine <3
thanks again, now I can go in peace haha

You got an answer my friend but your email is not accepting attachments, maybe send me a regular yahoo email address or similar and I will resend you the attachment.
I also sent you an email without an attachment so it must have ended up in your spam folder.

You also blocked private messaging on this forum so I could not private message you either.

Last edited:
Any chance I can get the TL8192cu_WindowsDriver_1006.0.0614.2010.F0048.P10 0420_UI_1.00.0159.L file? Pulled out my old win2k box and it's needs some love. Cheers!

Wireless communication did not exist in the Computer world when Windows 2000 came out.
You could only make phone calls over the wireless communication equipments.

So lose the dream of connecting wireless mouse to a deivce with Windows 2000 on it.
There are no modules in the Windows 2000 kernel to process input from wireless devices.

Wut? Don't make me clean out my barn to pull out my snappy old Windows XP/Windows 2000 dual boot :D

Windows 2000 Service Packs 1, 2, 3 and 4 can be integrated into the base installation media and do not need to be applied.
Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 cannot be integrated but can be applied after initial install.
Wireless is definitely available but drivers are hard to find. Unless you're organized enough to have kept them all in precisely labeled subfolders...

Who has two thumbs and has all versions of Windows from Windows 1.0 to Windows 10?
This guy!!! :D

Only Windows 3.1 was half-way useable. Fun really first started with Windows 95...

Back