• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD Hydra photos for caddi daddi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Caddi asked for some HD photos of the Hydra so he could get a better idea of how it is set up. Sorry for the mess in the background.

hydra2_zpsfffdfb13.jpg~original

hydra4_zps7f0630dd.jpg~original

hydra3_zps344c1e94.jpg~original

hydra1_zpse2e27608.jpg~original

THANKS!!!! you'll be getting a zillion questions soon.
I'm still waiting to hear from z ya latr about when he is going to ship me the last 2 cards.

that explains all the usb cables i was seeing, just data transport from adapter to another adapter.

you have molex chain that powers something at the bottom rear of each card, what is that?

that explains all the usb cables i was seeing, just data transport from adapter to another adapter.

you have molex chain that powers something at the bottom rear of each card, what is that?

Yes, the molex provides the additional power that the 16x slot on the motherboard would normally provide. The USB isn't providing power from the motherboard PCI-E slot, so the 16X part of the riser is getting power through the molex.

The video cards are designed to pull some of the power they need through the PCI-E slot, and the rest from the 6 or 8 pin PCI-E power cables.

I realize that isn't the best worded explanation, but I hope I got the idea across.

Also, from the PMs, this board has 7 16X PCI-E slots, but they are spaced as single slots. Using double slots cards on it would limit me to 4 cards max without the risers.

I can wrap my head around the power stuff, that is why with more than one card i have to plug a molex into a connector on the motherboard to feed the cards more power.

sorry to bring this back from the dead where did you get the cable risers from? also what psu is that? curious about the actual draw of that rig .

sorry to bring this back from the dead where did you get the cable risers from? also what psu is that? curious about the actual draw of that rig .

No problem.

I got the cables from Ebay.

There are two Corsair 1000 Watt PSUs running it with a Y-connector.

I'm not sure the actual draw, as I don't have a 220V Watt meter to use (I'm running it off of a 220 line). But since I was planning on running 7 cards off of it, and they could draw about 200 Watts each, I planned accordingly.

Hope that helps.

nice and you are averaging 1.7M from that rig alone (as per your sig)

Actually, the Hydra is down to 3 cards, but they are 970s, but under-performing due to the 1x risers. I've also got my main rig, 2 amd (280x class), secondary rig 2 amd. My two work machines 2 amd each.

yea but 3 970's get you close to 900,000 don't they?

Not right now. Closer to 600K to 700K due to the risers. I'll have new 16x to 16x risers arriving by Wednesday, so I'm hoping to get close to 900K with it again. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to build a new frame and find a board I can fit 4 cards on directly.

Yeah. My understanding of bandwidth between coin mining and FAH is that the 1x USB cables you have are good enough for mining but you need as much bandwidth as you can get for FAH. I've been working on getting mainboards that have as many PCIe lanes as opposed to 8/4/4/4 or the like. I don't know how a 4x bus affects FAH compaired to 8x or 16x but I'll give my hardware the best I can afford.

I thihk i was reading someplace that x4 is needed for folding with a 970, from what I remember you need it with a 280 and up but the effect on a card such as a 7850 was not a big deal.

Back