• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 3000 Matisse refresh coming later this summmer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why is my question.

Zen3 is coming out in a few months.... these are MEH stop gaps until then. Anything to thwart Intel I suppose. I wonder how much higher the clocks will be.. I can't imagine more than 200 mhz..

I imagine just trying to get rid of the better binned chips for a slight markup?

Otherwise are they having issues with yields and trying to hold on?

I also wonder if the process improvements leading up to Ryzen 4000 have yielded binning benefits for the remainder of the 3000 production life cycle.

I think that is what we are seeing with the clock increase?

There may have been a few golden Ryzen 3000 CPUs all along that could hit the frequencies of the refresh versions but now there may be enough more of them to provide a market niche because of process improvements related to 4000 development. I'm suggesting there may be more to it than picking through the 3000 production batches for goldens that could be binned higher.

I don't imagine these to be anything more than just higher binned parts....whatever clock speed they land at.

AFAIK, Zen3 is on a tweaked/different 7nm process (7nm+ UV) so the underlying bits aren't terribly similar (as in, Zen2 doesn't/can't benefit from a process it isn't using).

My week 4 2020 CPU definitely seems to do better than the launch ones. I haven't pushed it, I was screwing around before work the other day but ran out of time. I could see them eeking a bit more out of the better binned CPUs. Honestly I'm interested in the per-core OC, but then I'd be stuck with Ryzen Master and also would need to figure out how to employ process lasso effectively.

4.3@2.75.JPG
Edit: just bench stable, did not stress test.

Has anyone informed AMD they are winning already? Unless this is just to get rid of CPUs before they becomes obsolete?

That would be my guess. Bump the stock clocks on the better binned chips in a last minute push to clear out some of the existing stock.

The article referenced also mentioned a fine tuning of the turbo algorithms. But really if there's only .1 ghz of increase, ain't many people going to replace their existing Ryzen 3000 and ain't many people going to be willing to pay much more for moving up to the refresh from Ryzen 2xxx CPUs. What we don't know is the pricing for the refresh, if it will even be tempting.

The article referenced also mentioned a fine tuning of the turbo algorithms. But really if there's only .1 ghz of increase, ain't many people going to replace their existing Ryzen 3000 and ain't many people going to be willing to pay much more for moving up to the refresh from Ryzen 2xxx CPUs. What we don't know is the pricing for the refresh, if it will even be tempting.

At this point I am not even looking to upgrade from my 2700x for a 4000 CPU unless price to performance is insane compared to what I have now.

Agreed. These are attractive from zen on back and maybe skylake on back. Nothing too interesting so far. Better bins with more aggressive turbo to support it.

Honestly, as someone on Skylake - I'm waiting. I was *real* close to moving to a 3600X build a few weeks ago. As in, had the parts in the cart close. Decided to wait until Zen 3, and the slight bump in clocks doesn't push me to the other side of the fence. To a few people it might though, and the more I type out this post the more curious I am about what "extra headroom" there is on these chips.

Back