• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Donw for a bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
My AC is not working so farm is down for now, hope to be back up soon.

Last edited:
I can only imagine the heat of the deep south this time of year. Stay healthy and cool.

Ok maybe not, I set all folders to finish any WU's they had and left it that way over night, seems my AC works fine after all, it was cycling on and off like it should.
So here is the question: Would not using the correct version of Precision X with eVGA RTX 3080 card cause more heat?
I say this because I have 1 PC with 2 RTX 3080 cards, Win 10 and Precision X1 and the other PC with 2 RTX 3080 cards, Win 7 and Precision X OC, the PC with Win 10 is warm but not overly hot, the PC with Win 7 is HOT.

I'd imagine not.

The difference is in a slew of other variables. You name it... its different. Thermal application from the factory, location and airflow, ambient...etc. you put the same card in a different anything it's temps will be different. You measure temps of a box of gpus (drools) in the same chassis and they are all different. But windows versions shouldn't matter either.

It's not the Windows I'm asking about, it's the fan control software for the cards, it's Precision X OC and Precision X1.

...been meaning to ask the team- what is considered too hot for the GPU folding cards? Nvidia server settings showing my cards in the mid to upper 70s C., with fan speeds set at 70. Plus slowdown temp @95 C.
That sounds right...Anything above 85C I take notice...My Hybrid GPU runs in the low 50's

Ok maybe not, I set all folders to finish any WU's they had and left it that way over night, seems my AC works fine after all, it was cycling on and off like it should.
So here is the question: Would not using the correct version of Precision X with eVGA RTX 3080 card cause more heat?
I say this because I have 1 PC with 2 RTX 3080 cards, Win 10 and Precision X1 and the other PC with 2 RTX 3080 cards, Win 7 and Precision X OC, the PC with Win 10 is warm but not overly hot, the PC with Win 7 is HOT.
Could you tell us what you have done already to cool it , hardware wise? It been cleaned out in the last 6 months?

In any case depending on the proximity of the GPU's 2 GPU's are going to be much hotter than one , especially the top one.

Run the fans at 100% for the summer.

It's not the Windows I'm asking about, it's the fan control software for the cards, it's Precision X OC and Precision X1.
Right. Again, I'd imagine not to be any different, but it's possible.

You can see the rpms on the monior/graph and that will tell you about fan speeds. Maybe the older software can't read the curve? Try setting it manual at xx% and see if the rpms match. ;)

You're blaming software. But we have little idea of nuch else.. same chassis and fans? Ambient? So many possible reasons temps could be different.

Last edited:
I just woke up from a dream where i was in MC buying a 3090 ti for $1100... But I couldn't use it because of the electric.. 😂
Lol, I came to that realization recently, aching to get a 3080ti (@350W) and then backing off, as I wouldn't be able to run all my folding gear at the same time, without setting the electric bill on fire.

Back