• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No update this week. 15Jan21.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Due to a previously unscheduled meeting and overall work load, I will not be able to post an update. Follow your folding plan and produce what you can produce. I know that many parts of the nation are dealing with fires and/or storms. Be safe where ever you are.

If you're looking to upgrade to a new GPU be it Nvidia or AMD, what do you anticipate your ppd will be in total? If you already upgraded to a new GPU, what did you see in production boost? Lets not limit this to current generation. If you went from ... say... a 10 series to a 20 series or 30 series (for example) what did you see?

Finally all moved over from my 2070S(~2m PPD) to a 3080 which is reporting that I should be ~5m PPD while only using 50% more electricity per HWI. I might try to let the 2070S keep folding for the rest of the winter but it's been relocated to a pretty tiny silverstone HTPC (Grandia GD05) case that isn't exactly friendly to thermals and we aren't going to want to listen to loud fans in the living room if we aren't gaming on it so it's currently a we'll see situation.

At this point I'll be happy to get my hands on a 3070 or better to retire the 1080ti out to the farm from the gaming machine...this year.

I put one of those m.2 to x4 electrical/x16 mechanical PCIe cables on order from China around 3xxx launch day and figured that'd be the long tent in the pole in getting things moved around but guess what's been here since before Christmas and who still doesn't have a GPU that's not nearly half a decade old? This guy.

The PPD/w calculations will tell you that long term I should just get a 2xxx at this point, but the market is so ridiculous right now you can't even pick one of those up for less than MSRP from 2 years ago...

Duluth MC had 4 cards on their site this morning. 1 3090 @ $2029, a 6800 @ $929 & 2 6800XTs @ $999! No thanks. :mad:

LOL I actually stayed in the city last night so I could have swung by on my way home but absolutely not at more than 2k OMG.

Yeah, I primarily bought it because my new HP Reverb G2 demanded I get a 3090 but I'm too cheap and figured 3080 then move to 3080ti or 4080 when the time comes makes for slightly more fiscally responsible purchases.

Everything has now been up and running for a few days pretty steadily other than the one night that I forgot to flip things back on after testing in games.

On a side note does anybody know how to schedule F@H to run between say 10p-6a? I would like to keep the 2070S folding but it proved too annoying to be running during wake hours in our living room.

If it were linux you could probably run a cronjob against the service but I'm presuming this is windows?

Yeah, I primarily bought it because my new HP Reverb G2 demanded I get a 3090 but I'm too cheap and figured 3080 then move to 3080ti or 4080 when the time comes makes for slightly more fiscally responsible purchases.

Everything has now been up and running for a few days pretty steadily other than the one night that I forgot to flip things back on after testing in games.

On a side note does anybody know how to schedule F@H to run between say 10p-6a? I would like to keep the 2070S folding but it proved too annoying to be running during wake hours in our living room.

See if this works...
https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-fahclient-schedule.html

Your going to add this to fah and than use Windows Task Scheduler.

1. Click Configure and select the Expert pane.
  2. Click Add underneath the Extra client options panel.
  3. Type pause-on-start as the option name and true as its value. Click OK.

Last edited:

Are you using Win 10? If so, goto the Task Scheduler under Windows Administrative Tools and make a new task for F@H.

Another option might be to simply set the power limit on the gpu to low enough value to keep the fan noise at acceptable level.

Are you using Win 10? If so, goto the Task Scheduler under Windows Administrative Tools and make a new task for F@H.

See if this works...
https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-fahclient-schedule.html

Your going to add this to fah and than use Windows Task Scheduler.

1. Click Configure and select the Expert pane.
  2. Click Add underneath the Extra client options panel.
  3. Type pause-on-start as the option name and true as its value. Click OK.

Thank you both. This will work perfectly.

Another option might be to simply set the power limit on the gpu to low enough value to keep the fan noise at acceptable level.

Just saw this as well, that could work but assuming we actually use the HTPC for HTPC things I won't want to have to remember to adjust power limits. Not to mention we let our house temps go down at night anyways so it's a good time to let it warm up the TV stand.

Back