• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

** Need help from every user in this forum. **

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only short stroke if you DO NOT make a second partition. In which case you should recommend shooting for the "second sweet spot" as the minimum for desktop usage. For benching, the smaller the better.

Once a second partition is added, your OS will try and use it for temp install files and stuff, and any time it gets accessed your primary partition is going to take a ****.

Still.

Love the idea of finding if there is a specific percentage I would upload mine, but they are TERRIBLE since both drives on this PC are approaching 90% full.

Actually, it would be cool to see if the amount of data (90% full) would make a difference in benchmarking... I don't think it will..

Western Digital 500GB with Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset.

hdtach.jpg

You should write up something short for the frontpage, requesting more data for a future article - maybe readers will send you some stuff. If you do so, you should accept email submissions as well as these forum posts.

You should write up something short for the frontpage, requesting more data for a future article - maybe readers will send you some stuff. If you do so, you should accept email submissions as well as these forum posts.

Ok, will do!

Actually, it would be cool to see if the amount of data (90% full) would make a difference in benchmarking... I don't think it will..

I would highly doubt it, since I don't believe the test uses any of the data actually on the drive. Wait a little bit and I can test it, though... my 640gb is almost exactly 90% full, and I have room on one of my other drives to move stuff off it. I can try, maybe, 50% full and completely empty, and compare it to the data I posted earlier. If you want, anyway... I won't go to the trouble unless you really want to know, since it takes awhile to move 500+GB of stuff.

I would highly doubt it, since I don't believe the test uses any of the data actually on the drive. Wait a little bit and I can test it, though... my 640gb is almost exactly 90% full, and I have room on one of my other drives to move stuff off it. I can try, maybe, 50% full and completely empty, and compare it to the data I posted earlier. If you want, anyway... I won't go to the trouble unless you really want to know, since it takes awhile to move 500+GB of stuff.

They only way to know is to try...

Alright then, I'll start moving files and post back later this evening with the results.

Edit: OK, update. The verdict is... drumroll, please... :shock:

...bupkis. The amount of data on the drive makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I tried it at half full and then completely empty, ran the test twice for each, and all I got were the usual miniscule variations each time the test is run. I have screenshots saved if you really want 'em, but they don't show anything interesting.

Anyhow, that settles that. I'd been kinda meaning to clean off that drive anyway, so I can re-partition it as a boot drive. So it wasn't a total wasted effort.

Last edited:
Ok, I added a 3rd raptor to the mix. My total size with 3 drives is 419.2gb I took that number, and divided it by 6, wich gave me 69.86gb for my windows slice, and 349.something for my storage slice, wich I install my games to.

Results :thup:

Ok, I added a 3rd raptor to the mix. My total size with 3 drives is 419.2gb I took that number, and divided it by 6, wich gave me 69.86gb for my windows slice, and 349.something for my storage slice, wich I install my games to.

Results :thup:

very very NICE! Good work... did you make one monster partition and then sliced it that way, or did you make a 69gig RAID slice in your RAID BIOS, and then made another RAID 0 with the remainder?

FYI: to find the formatted capacity of any drive, take the advertised size and multiply it by .932

Last edited:
very very NICE! Good work... did you make one monster partition and then sliced it that way, or did you make a 69gig RAID slice in your RAID BIOS, and then made another RAID 0 with the remainder?

FYI: to find the formatted capacity of any drive, take the advertised size and multiply it by .932

Thanks. No I make all partitions useing the raid bios :)

There is a point of diminishing returns tho.. Useing an odd number like 9 I think is when it starts to choke, and definately with 11 heheh.

Thanks. No I make all partitions useing the raid bios :)

There is a point of diminishing returns tho.. Useing an odd number like 9 I think is when it starts to choke, and definately with 11 heheh.

The intel Matrix RAID can only do 6... Unless you're using a dedicated RAID card with 8 or more.... JEEZ!

Imagine 8 300 gig VRaptors... in RAID 0, Now that's a dream for ya..!

Sorry, I should have been more clear with my post, I must have been asleep at the wheel or something! I meant takeing the total size of your drives, according to the matrix manager, and divideing that number by an odd number like 9 or 11 and you would see some chokeing going on, sorry!

Theres gotta be someone out there thats hardcore enough to have 6 or 7 vraps, come you can show yourself :)

Sorry, I should have been more clear with my post, I must have been asleep at the wheel or something! I meant takeing the total size of your drives, according to the matrix manager, and divideing that number by an odd number like 9 or 11 and you would see some chokeing going on, sorry!

Theres gotta be someone out there thats hardcore enough to have 6 or 7 vraps, come you can show yourself :)

I don't use the divider method. I look at the actual HD tach image to determine the best short stroke location. However, 6 seems to work very well, for 3 drives.

5 for 2 drive, 6 for 3, 7 for 4 and so on?

I used to do that too, until I got the bright idea to take the mathematical approach. Your way is a good to do it if you arent sure what the drives are capable of, when they are new (to you) :thup:

BTW I suck at math :D

Here are my results... I never thought my raptorX was so slow... wow. That almost seems anomalous to me (if i didint see FA's results). Anyway, here they are RaptorX 150GB 16mb cache and WD Caviar Black 640GB.

Attachments

• HDtachraptorx.jpg
    HDtachraptorx.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 320
  • hdtachcaviarblack640.jpg
    hdtachcaviarblack640.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Back