• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does OS have anything do with OC stability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sharpsuxx

Registered
Sorry reposting this it was thrown into the wrong forum:

I recently changed my main system from 7 64 bit ultimate to Vista 64 bit ultimate (I know everybody hates vista but I had a copy lying around and my fiances new comp I built needed an OS). On Win 7 64 bit my Rig Asus p6t i7 960, I was rock solid stable with good temps at 4.0 ghz 1.35 vcore and even everyday stable at 4.2 ghz 1.35 vcore, all else equal I can no longer get my system stable with the same settings on win Vista 64 bit? I can however run perfecty smooth at 1.25 vcore with a 23 multi at 3.5ghz but I can no longer run any iteration to get me to 4ghz, I was running 200 20x.

any fixes or settings in Vista I should look at?

My system had been running for around a year at 4GHZ prior Prime and Linx stable and less than 75 degrees at load.

any setting that may matter in vista that didn't in 7? I am running an SSD for the OS and I know 7 handles SSDs better.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That's odd. No other settings got bumped in the BIOS? Vista is generally a crappier OS, but stable should be stable regardless of your operating system.

This seems like something the extreme benchmark crowd would know better. I seem to remember people having better luck with Windows 7 for overclocking stability.

What specific issues are you encountering? You can't get Prime and linx stable?

To be honest without upping the vcore significantly I can't even get it to boot up. It had run for 8-9 months without issue then after I installed Vista and re enabled my OC profile it blue screened on me and now when I load that OC profile it won't even boot up. I don't need the extra speed and its nice to run at lower volts now, but it runs higher temps I guess because of the higher multi even though it is lower vcore. I am not at my home PC right now so I will have to wait before I try anything but I want a few suggestions if anyone has any.

I am decently happy at 3.5 I bought the 960 to run 24/7 at 4Ghz. It was and according to most it should.

It had run for 8-9 months without issue then after I installed Vista and re enabled my OC profile it blue screened on me and now when I load that OC profile it won't even boot up.
That's odd because it indicates a problem that can't be specific to the OS. When the system boots, it knows nothing about what operating system is installed. That makes me think that some setting got changed somewhere. Are you sure your OC profile is up to date? You didn't, for example, save the profile, tweak some settings, and run at those settings for 8 months?

I'll delve in deeper to it tonight, your probably right i need to just start from square one and make sure my OC can run smooth again.

+1 to Johnan.
Your not even close the the OS yet. It has to be something in the bios or cmos causing this. Clear the cmos and start over first.

Did you make sure to install the drivers for the bus chips on the motherboard?

For chips that feature a lot of power management options and special techniques not having bus chip drivers can cause the loads to be higher across the chip. This is because the chip ends up working at less optimized but more compatible mode of code execution. The iCore series chips tend to have a lot going on internally for such things. Turbo Boost is a feature of this extra optimization.

If thats not the case. Then theres a chance that you may have some other base system driver that is causing problems. In some situations 64bit vista drivers are not the same as 64bit w7 drivers.

If you installed your drivers from just cd that came with the motherboard. Check the website of the manufacturer for updated drivers. In most cases the drivers on the site will be more up to date than the CD. Which is most likely if you have had the system for a year.

I went through and manually reconfigured my Oc settings to get back to 4.0 Ghz, I guess I didn't have all of the settings saved in my Oc profile.

My temps are a little higher than they were, is there any concern with idleing at 44ish degrees it still stays under 75 under load? I think I may reseat my heat sink with some new thermal grease.

Reseating it isn't a bad idea. 75 under load is a bit high, but certainly not ridiculous. If it's stable at that temp then it's fine - try to keep it under 80.

Back