• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 7970 dual-x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squadfer

Hello everyone,

I made this thread to document my overclocking attempts for my recent sapphire 7970 purchase that I received this morning.

I'm using Unigine Valley Benchmark to stress test my overclock. I have the following settings set:
DirectX11, ultra quality, AA X8, 2560X1440 resolution full screen.

So far my progress has not been to hot nor to bad. I was only able to get 1060 on the core stable with 1.3v, I havent touched the memory yet. Then I remembered there was a switch on the card to switch inbetween two different bios's. I took a look at it and noticed it was in position 2, must of switched it over from 1 when I first installed the card. I have switched it to the 1 position now and did a quick test through the benchmark with the core at 1125 and voltage at 1.3v, passed with flying colors! :attn: by pass I mean there were no stutters in the image. With the switch set to 2 I was getting stutters as the driver was becoming unresponsive and wouldn't recover.

I am now going to find out the highest clock I can get on the core now that the bios switch is set in the 1 position. will report back with an update eventually.

Today's overclocking attempt resulted in the following being stable.
1.225V, 1150 core clock, and 1575 memory clock. temps never exceeded 73C and that will only go down as I adjust my fan settings since my fan was only at 70% while at 73C.

Stock core clock was 950, this overclock resulted in just above a 20% increase in the core clock.
Stock memory was 1425, this overclocked resulted in 10% increase in the memory clock.

Last edited:
Hehe, dont worry. That setting was already set from my old 6870, I just had to readjust it a wee bit since I no longer have to deal with a leaf blower in my room...

Oh, A little update. So the clocks of 1150 core and the 1575 memory did not end up panning out. During BF3 game play the video crashed a couple times and I was utimately left with 1125 core and 1550 memory as my final over clock of the night. Its been stable for a few hours now at these settings.

All i can say at this point is relax and enjoy your games with the new card! AJ.

Clocks look good. What were your GPU temps, fan speed, and ambient temps during testing?

I'm curious because I ordered a Dual X last night while it was on sale on Amazon for $318, and I'm hoping I can get better temps out of it than the Asus I returned this morning.

Temps never really exceeded 73C kinda hovered around 68-71C and the fans still had room to spin up more if needed. idle temp as of this moment is sitting at 49C. Ambient temps started out at 25C but since I'm in a closed room I cant say for certain what the ambient temp crept up to as the testing progressed, all I know was my room was considerably hotter then the rest of the house lol.

Last edited:
Cleaned up (deleted) a few off topic posts. Please focus on helping the OP and contributing useful information to the thread.

Anyone not doing that, I will murder in the face, starting with Thideras.

I've hit the same clocks on my card. Any higher and it artifacts a bit when using furmark. I believe my voltage is ~1.16. I've got more room to go, but for right now, it seems plenty happy.

Back