• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Rails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbo_9907

Registered
MY 450W PSU died recently, and I have been using my buddies old Enermax 350w until I can afford a new one, I have the following hooked up, rest is in the Sig.

4 37CFM 80mm LED Case Fans (Including CPU)
2 Cold Cathode Lights
Network Card
9800 Pro w/ Silencer
80GB WD Hard Drive
DVD-RW/Rom
1024 Samsung Ram
3.0E Intel P4 OC'ed to 3.6GHZ
All on a P4P800-SE Mobo

My rails are reading worryingly high during both idle and load -

Rail---Idle --- Load
3.3---3.46---3.55
5.0---5.19---5.27
12.0--12.52--12.65

these seem dangerously high, is this because the PSU is straining to provide enough juice? also when I hit the switch for the CC lights, the whole system will reboot, I can leave them on or Off, no prob, but if I turn them on/off while the system is on it will reboot, I did not have this problem with my 450w. I am eventually planning to get either an OCZ or Ultra X-connect UV orange, as all my sleeving is UV orange and it would match.

Opinions?

Rail---Idle --- Load
3.3---3.46---3.55
5.0---5.19---5.27
12.0--12.52--12.65

How were these measured, very important!!!, please report results with multimeter because its just hard to figure out which software is accurate or not.

In any case, your PSU is just not adequate for the staff you listed up there.

As for opinions its obvious as you also stated buy a better one. 350W is poor and you are risking your system if things flicker and reboot like that.

I just used MBM, i dont have a multimeter, so these could be a little off, regardless MBM cant be THAT off could it?

I should get that new cpu.

sorry mate.. but all that stuff ..needs something like a 400+ watt psu..not 350 ..

get the ocz and that will help tons good luck.. till then i would just take anything that you dont need out of the power loop ...dont want to fry something

Back