• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.79 & LTSP2.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
Same basic problems as WedgeWhacko, plus mine involve the difficulty that the clients have in loading and running folding, SO...I didn't want to do any further thread jack than I have. My questions will continue here with a little recap::

3.79 gave me the lot of problems plus when I was able to hd install it, the OS would freeze every time I tried to use anything. Installed LTSP2.1, no problems works great. but now I have a new difficulty, ..the LTSP server.. when I start the client everything is detected properly, os loads, starts, all the usual, but now it said it cant update the time. then it said that folding has started, but also the client 'loses' the server and folding hangs. everything I have tried is of no help. my main rig when netbooted by floppy, is able start and run the folding. no probs, but any other board added will not work. any ideas, maybe it thinks it needs a HD or floppy? :shrug:

Arkaine23 said:
What's the error when you try to netboot additional boxes?
strange part of this is when I do get 3.79 to cooperate, and the clients will start to load linux, when it gets to the part where it says that it is starting to fold, everything locks up or folding stops and just hangs there. The Odd part comes in when I add a hard drive just to test, it all works I refuse to have hard drives just hanging on when i dont need them.

edit: and me being at work ATM, I cant get my jollies working on the rig! I need to solve this problem. as soon as I can get it all to work as it should, then i will be adding the MPI and OpenMosix, so I can begin to do the other thing I have planned.
ghettocomp said:
the layers start just fine, find the boot agents uncompress and run Linux, they even go into the Knoppix Client stuff, attaches to the CDRom at appropriate addresses, but I usually get the ::

and teh thing hangs. if the server responds, it says that folding jobs started but everything then hangs and nothing is downloaded or run. I can also ssh into each layer thats started, and even ping various ip's on lan and the internet, but nothing starts or runs.

any Ideas? this is the same thing on every board "except" when I boot from my main rig to test the terminal server connections.

Edit: If I use just regular Knoppix, or cluster knoppix, I dont have that problem, but i also have to force each folding job manually. (of course, because there is no script to start it for me:) )

So, now that I am here and not there, probably not anywhere...

Anybody have any ideas?
After running the system logs for the LTSP server, I see that the clients are being
denied access.:shrug:
is there a change that could have occurred before or has been made to the configuration files during boot? Each client starts and runs loading all their stuff by PXE, all the client tells me after it has mounted the /CDRom is that nfs is not there any longer.

ghettocomp said:
So, now that I am here and not there, probably not anywhere...

Anybody have any ideas?
After running the system logs for the LTSP server, I see that the clients are being
denied access. :shrug:
is there a change that could have occurred before or has been made to the configuration files during boot? Each client starts and runs loading all their stuff by PXE, all the client tells me after it has mounted the /CDRom is that nfs is not there any longer.

Getto, This is the same problem I was having and nobody could find a resolution to it :shrug: I did however find that it was a problem with the network drivers/chipset, but I only have one network cart that will PXE boot and run properly and I cant get any more of them...thats why I have ended up going back to windows for my folding rigs :shrug: as much as I did not want to.

one clue I may have.. when booting the client I see that it is using the
linux kernal 2.6 I cant seem to get the client to use anything else. but that
may be because I am still running in noob mode for that one. Linux is no
stranger but this cluster folding thing is new to me.
I can ssh into each client after starting them, but folding will not start.
while logged into the client if I type "foldclient" the system shows a pile of
errors and folding again will hang. As I have said before, i can get cluster
knoppix to operate just fine. i just want to be able to get the folding started
before i have any other services running.

I am afraid to think that I may need to just load the ClusterKnoppix once and
for all and configure it for everything else i need. :( I would rather use overclockix and upgrade the needed proggies from there..

Last edited:
Back