• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunbeam fan controller LED Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
There's been several questions of how to mod the LED's on the sunbeam fan controller so they would'nt be soo dam bright. A member asked that question here .

There were several ideas tossed around and Thideras found an awsome guide located here .

Mad kudos go to the originator of the guide Voodoo Rufus located here .

Anyways I got the parts/tools needed and modded up my sunbeam. I used the 22k Ohm 1/4watt resistors and the results are amazing. I don't have any before shots, but i'm sure you guyz with sunbeam controllers know how bright this dam LED's are :eek: Mine lit up my livingroom! Now I have a soft blue hue that's easy on the eyes and I don't need my shades :cool:

The mod is extremely easy and anyone can do it.

Attachments

• Cap 002.jpg
    Cap 002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,758
  • Cap 009.jpg
    Cap 009.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,731
  • Cap 008.jpg
    Cap 008.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,746
  • Cap 010.jpg
    Cap 010.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,738
Thanks, it looks good. Wish I would have figured out the dissassembly thing BEFORE I bent all the wires to get them out, lol. How did you reverse the lights? I would be afraid to bend the bulbs backwards to turn them around.

Thx :)

After I pulled the LED's out, I held onto the wires with needlenose pliers, and bent the wires in the opposite direction in one movement. This kept the wires straight and firm, plus i was still able to solder the resistors on em.

Thanks Nebulous, just finished this mod on my sunbeam fan controller, it went smooth & worked great!! like you say it is an easy mod, this was my first time trying something like this, never did any soldering on electrical components before, but it wasn't very hard to do at all, for me the hardest part was plugging the led's back in to there sockets, my eyes arn't what they used to be, anyway thanks for the info & pics, I recomend this to all who have this controller, definate improvement.

you just solder the resistor to the center pin, very simple mod I just compleated it on 2 of my sunbeams. My retna's arnt burning anymore!

Sry, i did'nt reply to this sooner guyz :bang head

You are correct LucifurFox. I soldered the resisitor to the center leg of the LED's.

Congrats Ric2L ! Glad I was able to help some :)

Nice Thread. I don't know why I didn't do this mod years ago. I run my fans at <7V and want them really dim, so I will probably go with the 22k resistor, or maybe somewhere between 10k and 22k.

Thx Guyz :)

I've since picked up 2 more sunbeam fan controllers and did the mod on these too. Still works like a charm! :beer:

OK got this done today and it worked out great. My poor soldering skills got a nice boost and now I can leave my computer on at night without having aurora borealis emanating from my computer.

I need to do this myself.But frist i have to get a soldering iron.Neb are any of yours black?If so send me one and ill send you mine.Mine is black.And im to lazy to do the mod myself..lol

I need to do this myself.But frist i have to get a soldering iron.Neb are any of yours black?If so send me one and ill send you mine.Mine is black.And im to lazy to do the mod myself..lol

Whatcha mean Black? You askin if any of my controllers are black? Yeah, the one in my main is black. Do the mod, it's easy! You lazy bum!

Back