• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVI suddenly No signal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inaliz

Registered
Prior to this everything worked fine, I have been using my dvi with my 8800 gtx and soyo 24" LCD since april 2008.

Well I went on vacation for a week. Took out my 8800 gtx to send in for rma(heat issues card was running at 100c on load in some games). I didn't have time to send my card in so when I got home plugged back my 8800. At first after boot when windows login came up the signal kept going off and on repeatedly I forget the error message. This is with 1920x1200 and dvi. Suddenly it just stopped turning off and on and worked shortly after unplug/plugging the power cord on the monitor.

Then about 3 days later playing mw2 it turned off and on again, then back to normal. Next day the monitor would just say No Signal after booting when it would get to windows login. So I went ahead and used my vga cord from my monitor with a vga to dvi adaptor running in max res of 1600x1200. The vga works fine with adaptor, but the dvi just says no signal.

So I figured it was probably my card since it was already having heat problems. I work from my computer so I could not afford to not have it for 10 days so I ordered myself a nice used 8800 gtx to use while the other was in rma with plans of sli in the future.

SO I get my new(used) 8800 gtx, very nice condish may I add runs 30C cooler then the one I rmad on load :O, plug in the ole dvi and I get the same problem no signal with DVI but vga with dvi adaptor works fine.

Now I figure it must be my dvi cord right? So I go out and get a new DVI cord and yet again the same no signal as soon as windows login starts up with DVI. At this point I am guessing it is a problem with my monitors dvi port. My knowledge of monitors is minimal at best. I have no idea why shutting my system down for a week and removing my gfx card would do this!

Sorry for writing a book here but I figured the more information the better. please help me with this if you know about these things I really need to fix this and I want my native 1920x1200 res back.

680i mobo
q6600 2.4 quad intel
evga 8800 gtx
4 g ram
700w ocz psu

:welcome: to OCForums!

You've tested everything except another monitor's DVI port. That would be the next thing to do if you can.

Also, I'm not understanding why you can't get 1920x1200. I've used VGA and have gotten 1920x1080 on my TV.

Yea I have no idea with vga it only lets me go to 1600x1200.

Card DVI to TV DVI doesn't work.
Card VGA with DVI converter to TV DVI does work?

DVI from card to DVI monitor boots fine shows the xfx splash, at windows login no signal.

VGA from monitor to card via dvi adaptor works.

DVI from card to DVI monitor boots fine shows the xfx splash, at windows login no signal.

VGA from monitor to card via dvi adaptor works.

Got it!

I don't know why, but it sounds like the resolution coming from your DVI is too high for your TV. I know it worked before, but bear with me. Do you have a second monitor you can plug into the DVI to check it? Also, boot into windows on the VGA port, and go to your display controller and check both resolutions. Reduce the DVI down to around 1024x768 just to see if you can get display. If it works, walk it back up to where you want it and see where it dies.

Got it!

I don't know why, but it sounds like the resolution coming from your DVI is too high for your TV. I know it worked before, but bear with me. Do you have a second monitor you can plug into the DVI to check it? Also, boot into windows on the VGA port, and go to your display controller and check both resolutions. Reduce the DVI down to around 1024x768 just to see if you can get display. If it works, walk it back up to where you want it and see where it dies.

Thanks man I will try this and let you know. I also found a site that has a list of things to try.

Well I found a .inf file that someone graciously modded for my monitor model, so I can get 1920x1200 res in analog. I tried a lot of different things today to try and get the dvi to work with no avail. Probably going to test with a friends monitor tonight.

From what I have read it sounds like my DVI EDID is gone or corrupted somehow. Or my dvi on the monitor is shot? It sounds like a hard process to replace the EDID from what I read.

I can't really tell the difference in picture.

Well I think I found the problem ;p. Last night I came back to my comp and my screen was asleep for some reason. Went to restart the monitor and it would not turn on. It still will not turn on at all.

Back