• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock P55 Extreme Problem (HELP!!! Quickly!!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asphalizo

Registered
I was working on my computer a while ago. When I heard a small pop and my computer turned off. I tried restarting it but it wouldn't restarted. I took it over to my table and pulled out the 1st graphic card, cpu heatsink, and cpu. I could smell something like burnt plastic. I was thinking it was maybe the dreaded overvoltage thing that was plaguing the cheaper p55 boards. I run my cpu at a voltage below 1.3 so I was a little confused.

Luckily when I took out the cpu everything looked fine. So then I thought maybe a resistor had blown. I checked the board carefully and nothing looked blown or burnt, but I could still smell the burnt plastic. Next I decided to put everything back and try to get it to start again with only the bare essentials attached. I run crossfire but for this I only had one VGA card plugged into the second pci-express slot. After getting everything hooked up again, I started the computer up. There was another louder pop and a puff of smoke came out of the top most pci-express slot. However the computer booted into Win7 and everything seemed to work fine.

Fearing that the top slot blew out. I decided to check it with the original card that when in that slot. I put it back in and booted the system up and it again booted fine tho I didn't have the second card in. I then decided to try out crossfire and put in the second card. I booted it again and everything worked for about 3 or 4 minutes til it shut down again with no pop this time.

So I guess, what should I do? Can I run my machine safely with just the lower pci-express slot? Obviously I should try to contact ASrock and see if they can help. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone?

uh.. RMA the board.. check the vid card that was in that spot for any issues and RMA that if you can.. anything thats popping and smoking is NOT something you want to toy with..

though the rma on the vid card might be overkill..just try the vid card in a diff system to see if it works still and go from there for RMA

Back