• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The most beautiful game you've ever played?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I want opinions! Don't tell me the best game you've played, give me the game that you think is the most beautiful one out there.

Regards.

This one is hard. Artistically with fine detail I would have to say Bio 2. As far as drop dead amazing landscape, I would wait for the Alan Wake project. I've been watching it and its suppose to be one of the most enriching landscape games out there.

DiRT 2 combined with Dx11 - It's all just amazing, the car detail, the smoke, the sand, everything :D

in terms of graphics... I was thinking Dirt 2 has the best graphics I've personally seen.

Oh boy... this one is gonna date me pretty hard.... Donkey Kong Country on the SNES..... it's amazing what Rare could do with that 16bit hardware.

The next one has to be Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Lemme tell ya... it was awesome thing and still awesome now.

For modern games? Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Morrowind was impressive when it first came out. Now Dirt 2 and Need for Speed Shift are really good looking. Mass Effect 2 also has fantastic visuals. I guess I don't have a favorite. There are many good looking games out today.

I'd have to say Crysis, or maybe DiRT...both absolutely beautiful. Haven't played many of the newer ones, but that's what I'd say right now.

Very tough question, there is no single best. There's a lot more to 'good graphics' than making a multi-million polygon model then slapping a super high res texture on it.

Style, detail, colors and special effects are all very important. Character and environment animations are also very important; jerky animation would ruin a game visually even if it had infinite polys with infinite res textures.

Most of the good ones were already mentioned above. There's also some genre-based 'restrictions', for example, massive scale war type games (many RTS) generally have low polys on units so it can run better on most systems.

MMO's also generally sacrifice polygons/textures and animation to run better on a wider variety of hardware. Only one has impressed me with some of its visuals and that would be Aion; by far the best character detail and animations of any MMO. Kind of got me spoiled and now I can't stand to look at the terribly repetitive, crappy combat animations of other games in this genre.

Best special effects generally go to Squaresoft (now Square-Enix) titles, they have many talented artists that seem to always stay ahead of each generation.

Graphically best RPG overall would probably be FF13 if it was ever released on PC by some rare chance; it's decent on ps3/x360, but could be way better if they give it a proper release on all platforms.

I loved STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. It really drove home its bleakness of the area. Excellent atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is another just beautiful game I will always remember.

Back