• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The most beautiful game you've ever played?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Now, for my more thought out vote... (but most likely off topic vote)

Turn based strategy games in space, the 4x deal. You colonize worlds, you build things on them, you build ships from there, you blow up the enemy, good game! Well, that is how most games come across to me, none of them really leaving a nice impression I remember to this day, except for Masters of Orion 2.

Your colony is on a world, may it be Earth like, icy, or volcanic, whatever, it is there. You build stuff there and move on, right? Well, this game actually showed you your planet colony, not in a scientifically accurate way, but in a nice way that makes you actually understand the colony somewhat... by showing you a ground level view of that colony on that world. It was quite impressive.

master_of_orion_2_screen2.jpg

For a DOS based game, it looked nice and it was a nice touch... one that doesn't seem to be in newer games that are of this style.

So, is it most beautiful today? Nope. However, the idea that was in it made for some rather beautiful scenes which no other game seems to want to duplicate. Oh well.

Original Unreal single player.

Granted, it's a much older title (1998), but it was the first game to incorporate jaw-dropping graphics with incredibly detailed environments. It created a paradigm shift of seismic proportions.

The beginning of the game was like any Quake title up to that point. You began in the interior of a space ship (a prison ship named the Vortex Rikers--and YOU were prisoner 849). The details were sharp, but stark. There wasn't much new except that the steam/fog effects were impressive (and eerie). The lighting was realistic. Colored fog depending on ambient light sources and flickering florescent bulbs created an imposing and nervous tension.

But the drool became uncontrollable the moment you finally made your way out of the ship via a ventilation shaft and feasted your eyes on the Na'Pali planet you crashed onto. Outside was a lush landscape with thatch huts with smoke billowing gently from the chimneys. Realistic (for the time) water and fire, a bright sun with lens flare (thank you 3DFx!) and mesmerizing clouds drifted gently by. Notwithstanding the visual goodies, your ears were similarly pampered with an ethereal soundtrack in stereo. [Subsequent soundtracks indicating battle and other encounters enhanced the mood.] 3D sound utilizing EAX with well sourced effects allowed waterfalls to roar loudly and birds to chirp happily. Even the Nali cows mooed pleasantly in their pastures. Echo effects and distance filters allowed you to enjoy positional awareness of your surroundings as well.

The sentient beings moved fluidly and were 'skinned' realistically (for 4-armed inhabitants and reptilian humanoids). Nali bunnies hopped away skittishly and even the aggressive Nali birds flew smoothly as they attacked you.

It was a good thing that there were few immediate enemies as you emerged from the Vortex Rikers because many surely would have died whilst gawking at the magnificent surroundings.

This game single-handedly became the gold standard to which all subsequent games were compared. It is interesting to note that while the Unreal franchise has continued to maintain it's look--campy as it is by today's standards--photo-realism has pretty much taken over as the standard in visuals these days--the Unreal engine in it's latest iteration is still one of the most utilized tool sets in today's FPSs. But no other game since has advanced the state-of-the-art so far in so short a time.

Edit:
This game also introduced the awesomest, wickedest, kick-a**ed, weapon of all time: The Razorjack! This baby fired razor sharp disks of death that could be guided and bounced off multiple walls and were capable of head-shots. If you could draw multiple enemies into a narrow corridor with parallel walls--well, can you say MULTIPLE DECAPITATION? Pure sweetness!

One other aspect of lighting system goodness--plasma balls from your weapons and energy bolts from enemies lit their surroundings as they traveled. Shooting your plasma pistol down a long black corridor would allow you to light up the passage ahead. As the ball of light moved down the corridor, it would illuminate the immediate area around it until it struck something.

Last edited:
I loved STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. It really drove home its bleakness of the area. Excellent atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is another just beautiful game I will always remember.

Yeah. The first game to truly give me the chills every time I played it. Best looking game I have ever played in terms of best artistic graphics. Playing through it again atm in fact with the new STALKER complete 2009 mod, even better looking then ever before.

For their time:

-Ultima 7 Black gate
-Final Fantasy 3/6
-Unreal
-Final Fantasy 7
-FarCry

Looking over this thread, it isn't fair to compare some older games that were limited to older tech. I do agree, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Morrowind, Gran Turismo 1/2 were freaking amazing.

BIOSHOCK 1
BIOSHOCK 2
I loved the design they chose on. The water Effects were amazing i read in a magazine that they got a SEPERATE TEAM to work on only the water effects :O!

PC and best of all time, Crysis. :rock: There really is no competition, it set the new standard for graphics.
PS3 It's a tossup between: Killzone2/MGS4/GT5
X360-Gears of War
Wii-um yeah. . .

A lot of games aren't entirely filled with great graphics everywhere, many have some parts that catch the eye and other parts that just look 'blah'. So far, Dirt 2 is the best I've seen so far in terms of overall realism, and 30fps internet videos don't do it justice. I mean seriously, in many parts you can literally not tell the difference between being a race on TV or a video game when running the instant replay, if someone just showed you the video out of nowhere.

Back