• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper prep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

This is how I prepare for full pot benching:

Remove socket bracket and cut a piece of "Frost King" insulation for socket center:
prep1.jpg

Tape down the CPU with masking tape to secure it (I do not use the socket bracket at all).
prep2.jpg

Insulate around the entire area with kneaded eraser poking it into small gaps & crevices with a small tool (in this case a small flathead screwdriver).
prep3.jpg

Push the backplate on (with a layer of foam).
The next three pictures show how I've poked a piece of paper towel into the first mem slot (using the same tool), and the gap between the 1st and 2nd slot.
prep4.jpg prep5.jpg prep6.jpg

Then I layed a double thick piece of paper towel down around the CPU.
prep7.jpg

Cut a piece of flat foam to use as a gasket. This needs to be as big as possible, without being pressured by the cooling aparati around the socket.
prep8.jpg

Final cleaning of the CPU & pot...then drop a mtach head sizes bead of AS Ceramique.
prep9.jpg

Set pot down (insulation and 1st paper towel layer pre-applied).
prep10.jpg

Last edited:
Attach aluminum extension.
prep11.jpg

Screw the pot down.
prep12.jpg

Insert RAM (notice the extra flap of paper towel inserted earlier).
prep13.jpg prep14.jpg

Slide on top insullation foam tube and insert funnel into the pot.
prep15.jpg

Wrap the pot in another piece of paper towel (this will help prevent condensation from dripping from pieces like the hold down).
prep16.jpg

Install memory cooler and thermometer.
prep17.jpg prep18.jpg

Install graphics card (just a temp for pics), and water cooling for the chipset.
prep19.jpg prep20.jpg

Last edited:
Fully assembled
prep21.jpg prep22.jpg

And here are some after shots from my benching session last night:
result1.jpg result2.jpg result3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks dude...I'm getting ready for a session with my 980X and my new 5870 SOC tomorrow night (card will be on air tomorrow and LN2 next week)....I was a bit bored so I decided to document my process for you guys.

Probably nothing you haven't seen already, but FWIW, I hope it helps someone :cool:

This will help a lot of people wanting to jump into this.. Yet another great write up/article MIAH!!!

A lot of us have seen it before, but with all the new people jumping into dry ice/ln2, having a guide right here is very cool.

Back