• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

240GT - No audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

I needed a new GPU to play my iTunes on the 42". My GTX 285 runs my 2 main monitors, so I ordered a MSI N240GT. I did some research(but obviously was wrong). What I needed was an HDMI card that had a sound input on the card. I have the cable already that goes from motherboard sound to card sound. Then the audio and video go across the HDMI to the 42".

Sounds good, but not on this card. So, anyone know of a card that has HDMI and transmits sound across the HDMI? I wonder how long of an optical audio cable they make? I guess I could just run that, but I need about 5-6m(~18 feet).

I think the GT 240 should do what you want it to do. There are a couple things to check. First, make sure that the Nvidia audio drivers are installed. Go into your C:\Nvidia folder to whatever subdirectory the drivers extracted to, and look for a file that's called hdaudio......exe (there will be some version info where the dots are). Run it to install the drivers.

Next, you'll want to see if iTunes can specify the output. I recall seeing such settings in some VOIP software such as Ventrilo/Teamspeak where you can specify the software to use a particular device separate from the system default device.

If iTunes won't allow you, then you will have to tell Windows to use the HDMI sound device. Just go into Control Panel and Audio Device Properties, and set your default output to the proper device. I'm not sure how it will show up, but you should have multiple devices listed.

The unfortunate side effect of doing it this way would be that it routes ALL sounds through there, not just iTunes.

I think you guys are mistaken... Its a pass through cable. SPDIF from the video card to the sound card. Its a special audio cable from the video card manufacture. I know, I bought this kit from eVGA. Uses two pins on the DVI connector that are not used and passes them to the HDMI connector for audio.

Not all video cards have this....

example GTX 280

Last edited:
Zap, I will look, I just buttoned up the case.

Joeteck, this isn't a DVI - HDMI setup. It has HDMI, DVI and VGA on board. I was going to use the HDMI, and according to my research, the card would have a 3 pin connector next to the HDMI port which I would connect to the audio on board and then it would pass it along to the TV.

The way I read it is it would send the audio over HDMI all the time as well as through my speakers. As long as the TV is set to a different input, I wouldn't have to worry about it coming out the TV while I am playing TF2 and the wife is watching her crap. I just installed the card along with my new HDDs, so I am gonna boot it up and see what I find. I am on the wife's laptop right now.

Zap, I will look, I just buttoned up the case.

Joeteck, this isn't a DVI - HDMI setup. It has HDMI, DVI and VGA on board. I was going to use the HDMI, and according to my research, the card would have a 3 pin connector next to the HDMI port which I would connect to the audio on board and then it would pass it along to the TV.

The way I read it is it would send the audio over HDMI all the time as well as through my speakers. As long as the TV is set to a different input, I wouldn't have to worry about it coming out the TV while I am playing TF2 and the wife is watching her crap. I just installed the card along with my new HDDs, so I am gonna boot it up and see what I find. I am on the wife's laptop right now.

Still would need an cable from the sound device to the video card. No other way to get audio to the video card. (240GT)

Joeteck, I know what you mean. I have the cable, looks similar to the one you posted. The problem is there is no place to put it on the card. The only pins on the card are the ones for the fan. I think my old 8500 even had the audio pins on it, gonna go check with the neighbor, he bought it.

Joeteck, I think you are mistaken. :p Older Nvidia GPUs required the passthrough, but the 210/220/240 all have audio onboard similar to the Radeons.

Headstand, you might try looking for "digital output" as a playback device.

Joeteck, I know what you mean. I have the cable, looks similar to the one you posted. The problem is there is no place to put it on the card. The only pins on the card are the ones for the fan. I think my old 8500 even had the audio pins on it, gonna go check with the neighbor, he bought it.

Well, I would never of know that. You never mentioned that until now.

MSI makes a few models that do and don't have SPDIF.

Joeteck, I think you are mistaken. :p Older Nvidia GPUs required the passthrough, but the 210/220/240 all have audio onboard similar to the Radeons.

Headstand, you might try looking for "digital output" as a playback device.

So you're saying that these cards have sounds cards built on them?

Not possible... That's the reason for the SPDIF connector on them... My GTX280 does not have "audio" on the card.... lol. Funny stuff.. Audio pass through yes...

Just because it has HDMI, does not mean the card can process audio... It needs the source... SPDIF from the mobo or sound card... thats only if the video card has the SPDIF input connector...

EDIT: This N240GT has it.

Last edited:
Zap, not saying you are right or wrong, but I my thought was the solution Joeteck posted.

Joeteck, here is the kicker. The card you posted, is the card I bought. If you look at the pics(the 3rd pic) you see the connector at the top left. The connector is right next to the HDMI port. Well that is the card I bought but it doesn't have that connector. Crappy cell phone pic, but I have been all over this card, and it isn't there.

Side note - I put the card in and got a bsod on boot. Rebooted and got offering for repair of start normally. I have tried both and both end in bsod. Going for the Win7 DVD now. Not a good night so far.

Attachments

• 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,006
Joe, disregard, I found it. So I purchased the N240GT-MD1G/D5(1GB) but the card looks identical to N240GT-MD512 OC/D5(512MB) but with the 1GB fan on it. Installing it in my 775 box right now to find out what it is.

On a side note, MSI tech support stated I don't need the audio cable. They stated that it will receive 7.1 audio from the motherboard across the PCIe and send it across the HDMI cable. Gonna test that as soon as I find out if I got the 512 card or not.

Give me a few minutes.

OK, so the card shows up as a GT240 and GPUz says it is 1GB DDR5, so I don't know. It clearly looks like the pic of the 512, but whatever.

Also, to help with the audio issue, sure enough it shows up as an audio device and will play movies. It will not play quick sounds though, like the "ding" or "clicks". When I put a movie or song in, it doesn't play the first second or so. Just a tad bit of delay and then it plays the audio in sync with the show. They say it will do 7.1, but currently I only have it working in stereo. I will work on that later.

I am curious, in GPUz it says the GPU is a GT215. Curious because this guy's GPUz says his GTX285 is a GT200?? Any idea??
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640574

Attachments

• 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,020
GT215 is the core name... GTX480 if the GF100...

it would appear that ZAP was correct. However only on a few cards have this feature. GTX480, 470, 210, 220 240...300 that's it...

This is news to me...

You're welcome.

Joeteck, you can always check on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series
All GT21x GPUs also contain an audio processor inside and supports 8 channel LPCM output through HDMI.

Those would be the GeForce 210/GT 220/GT 240 cards.

BTW, I feel that it is good to learn new things every day. "Change" is the only thing that doesn't change.

You're welcome.

Joeteck, you can always check on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series

Those would be the GeForce 210/GT 220/GT 240 cards.

BTW, I feel that it is good to learn new things every day. "Change" is the only thing that doesn't change.

The only reason why I questioned it, is that a flagship card such as my GTX280 does NOT have the feature, making me assume the lower end cards don't as well...

You Live and you learn... Thanks.

Zap, I was thinking the same as Joe. Every other card I have played with in the past had to have the connector from the mobo to the card. Good to learn new things every now and then. The local parts guy still doesn't believe it will work. I told him it is currently working, but he thinks I am hearing it out of my PC speakers. Might be a problem when no speakers are plugged into that box. :)

Back