• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry Team its A Very Sad Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jolly-Swagman

As the Title says,

On a Good note I,m happy to say that it has been a just over a Year now since we moved house (thanks to every one that helped and supported us, to make that happen) and our lease has been renewed for a further 12 months,

But also has increased in Rental Payments per Month by $64AU to now $1018AU/Month

Also the recent increase in Electricity rates which have gone up a great deal over the past few months see Below :bang head

Last Two bills

ElectricBills2010.jpg

Current Bill Shocker

Electbilljuly2010800x600-1.jpg

Sorry Team its A Very Sad Day:shock::eh?:

I have talked over with my Wife and unfortunately I will have to Stop Folding or very Dramatic cut back as with the Rent and Shocking Electricity rises, I just cant keep going the way I was, as our only source of income is a Disability Support Pension.

To which 70% goes to Bills at the moment!

I was on a good roll for a while too nearly 55K PPD then shut down one machine a little while ago as wasnt worth it Folding any more,
I have nearly reached 14 Million Points which is Double that of last years production,

I may be able to possibly keep one rig going,

As it stands with current PDD I may hit 14 Million by the end of the month.
then will shut down, and try to keep at least one rig going with around 18-20K PDD!

I will of course still be here doing the Taem 32 Milestone Thread Stats and Mentoring, and General Folding help ect.

I will also probably be selling off some gear too, (CPU's ,Mobo's ect) so as to help pay for some of these bills, :bang head

Even my Case Modding lately has taken a bit of a back-seat since my last Project.

Edit - Also just found out Today that some of our Medications have been taken of the Pharmaceuticals Benefit Scheme , and the Wife ill too, hers and my Medication's instead of getting them for $7.50AU subsidised prescriptions,
They will now cost $55AU each , now that really sucks.

So Sorry Team its a Sad Day for me! :salute:

One of the main reasons our Power Downunder is going up so much is due to the Wind Farms and Desalination being built here at Wonthaggi, Victoria, will also mean our Water Rates are going up next year too, by 40% !

Wonthaggi_wind_farm1024x768.jpg
PM_desal-420x0.jpg
DesalWonthaggi.jpg
Desalpipeline.jpg

All the Water produced by this Desal Plant is to be piped 170 KLM to Melbourne, and believe me these Farmers here were not happy about that!

Jolly-Swagman

Last edited:
Not surprised. I thought about getting an i7 machine and SLI two 285 and a 850watt corsair, but after calculating the expected daily wattage draw, I would see a 30% increase in my bill. A 30% increase! With summer as hot as it is, I don't fold as often as I did back during the winter when we would go for weeks without using the AC or heater, which saved us $50 a month. But now that's gone up for the summer months.

Jolly,

We appreciate all the help over the last year :salute:. Please do whatever you must do to keep yourself afloat, folding is low priority compared to getting the bills paid.

Just remember that computers make excellent space heaters so if you find yourself turning on the house heat, maybe you can fire up an extra folding rig instead? ofcourse I've no idea how cold it gets around where you live you may not even need heat :/.

Last edited:
It is a sad day. I guess we all suffer regardless of what country we live in. Prices are going up, demand is going up but those who pay the bills have to sacrifice there fun just to pay the man

I totally understand as I had to stop folding too. It is hot as hell in Houston. Our electricity bill was $700USD. I payed half of it, but no folding till winter for me. Either that or I need a more efficient GPU to fold on. My 4870 may get replaced as soon as the OpenCL client shows up.

I have to shut mine down every summer. Paying for the electricity for folding is one thing, paying for A/C to cool the folding rigs is a different matter altogether.

Thanks for everything you've done for this team and will do in the future. I hope circumstances bring you back soon. :grouphug:

Edit: Sheesh... reading everyone's power bill makes me glad I live in the NW! We don't pay nearly that much in electricity.

Last edited:
JS sorry to see you shut down!! That is for sure. Need to find a way to get some cheap wind power over there :D If we get the plot of land we are wanting to I will seriously considering investing the few grand into turbines to power the house(at least my folding operation) Our bill is only 250$ a month with folding....Now the AC has been on for the last month so we'll see what this month's bill is going to be. I know when I get the new house we will have a basement and that is where the folding is going to happen that's for sure!

Not surprised. I thought about getting an i7 machine and SLI two 285 and a 850watt corsair, but after calculating the expected daily wattage draw, I would see a 30% increase in my bill. A 30% increase! With summer as hot as it is, I don't fold as often as I did back during the winter when we would go for weeks without using the AC or heater, which saved us $50 a month. But now that's gone up for the summer months.
Those last bill were mainly Summertime and our Portable AC was only used on very hot days 40C+
Holy cow :eek: :(

is that for 3 months?
Yes they are 3 month bills

Holy crap, for that price you might as well produce your own power, it'd be cheaper in the long run.
Wish I could at times

Jolly,

We appreciate all the help over the last year :salute:. Please do whatever you must do to keep yourself afloat, folding is low priority compared to getting the bills paid.

Just remember that computers make excellent space heaters so if you find yourself turning on the house heat, maybe you can fire up an extra folding rig instead? ofcourse I've no idea how cold it gets around where you live you may not even need heat :/.

Thanks ozzlo, yeah main thing is to keep roof overhead and be able to pay Bills and Food, also look after the Wife as she hasnt been all that well, as the condition she has is a very rare one and not much known about, so the Doctors are dumbfounded as what to actually do!

It is a sad day. I guess we all suffer regardless of what country we live in. Prices are going up, demand is going up but those who pay the bills have to sacrifice there fun just to pay the man
Yep it sucks big time!
I totally understand as I had to stop folding too. It is hot as hell in Houston. Our electricity bill was $700USD. I payed half of it, but no folding till winter for me. Either that or I need a more efficient GPU to fold on. My 4870 may get replaced as soon as the OpenCL client shows up.
Thanks winglass
I have to shut mine down every summer. Paying for the electricity for folding is one thing, paying for A/C to cool the folding rigs is a different matter altogether.

Thanks for everything you've done for this team and will do in the future. I hope circumstances bring you back soon. :grouphug:

Edit: Sheesh... reading everyone's power bill makes me glad I live in the NW! We don't pay nearly that much in electricity.
Yeah Thanks oakstave sometimes I wish live elsewhere at times too!

JS sorry to see you shut down!! That is for sure. Need to find a way to get some cheap wind power over there :D If we get the plot of land we are wanting to I will seriously considering investing the few grand into turbines to power the house(at least my folding operation) Our bill is only 250$ a month with folding....Now the AC has been on for the last month so we'll see what this month's bill is going to be. I know when I get the new house we will have a basement and that is where the folding is going to happen that's for sure!

Thanks GIXXERGUY6, see OP for reasons (pics) why Power so dear and we have those Dam Ugly Monstrous Wind Farms here too!

Also has to do with the Carbon Trade Off too, we all pay for it in the End !!

JS, sorry to hear- electricity billing rate increases have dashed many a folder's productions plans to pieces; I've felt the lash from that unkind bullwhip as well. :rain:

I hope that in your upcoming general elections the politicians that get elected will be able to remedy the economic pinch on the general populace.

You are a great Teammate Jolly! :beer:As long as your around the Forums...That's what counts.:salute:

JS, sorry to hear- electricity billing rate increases have dashed many a folder's productions plans to pieces; I've felt the lash from that unkind bullwhip as well. :rain:

I hope that in your upcoming general elections the politicians that get elected will be able to remedy the economic pinch on the general populace.

Thanks Dave and Tim, yeah will be still around the Forums alright, its my Second Home :rock:

Sorry I haven't chimed in here JS. I don't think there is any more I can say that hasn't already been said... other than - from myself - we'll miss your production. But I'm glad to see that won't keep you from hanging out and doing the many things you do for Team 32. :)

Fold On Brother!!! :rock:

Glad to hear it JS. :clap:

Best wishes to both you & your wife.

Sorry I haven't chimed in here JS. I don't think there is any more I can say that hasn't already been said... other than - from myself - we'll miss your production. But I'm glad to see that won't keep you from hanging out and doing the many things you do for Team 32. :)

Fold On Brother!!! :rock:

Thanks cuda and Harlam, :salute:

Another couple machines are now shut down and the others have the SMP clients -oneunit flag and will finish some time tomorow 31st July, the GPU's will keep on till the end of 31st July @ 00:00Hrs (Midnite) roughly.

Then will be one rig from then on Hopefully, Sorry and Sad Day, :cry:
but unfortunately has to be done, to keep our heads above water so to speak,

I have however PASSED my Milestone of 14,000,000 pts and currently @ pos 34 on page one for Team 32

I will still be here doing my bit and T32 Milestones Thread will be updated a little later on this evening !!!
:rock::salute::rock:

Fold On Team32

Will you be selling off your other rigs then?

Yes will be most likely selling some of the Hardware manly CPU's from some rigs, and a motherboard, but keeping some of the other hardware,

Will definitely need to sell some to help pay the above bills!

If there's anything we can do to help, let us know. We are here for you.:thup:

It's good to know that you will be sticking around, I just wish I had more time to be here. Things have been a little crazy lately with the recent move, and work keeps me running around quite a bit, but for some reason, the sales just don't seem to be there like they should be.:(

Yes will be most likely selling some of the Hardware manly CPU's from some rigs, and a motherboard, but keeping some of the other hardware,

Will definitely need to sell some to help pay the above bills!

I'd be willing to house a rig for you if you want, I'll cover the electric and you can run it under your username. You could use logmein to access it remotely.

Just throwin this out there for you G

Back