• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX580 throttling answer ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still don't see anything about throttling during games. Just the Fur and OCCT benchmarks.

As far as you hope.... With this switch someone with a GTX580 can turn it on or off and see if there is a difference....

You seem to be speculating that some games are affected or may be affected w/o any proof. I've yet to see anything indicating that games are affected...only your posts.

You seem to be speculating that some games are affected or may be affected w/o any proof. I've yet to see anything indicating that games are affected...only your posts.

However, you can't say that it doesn't. With this TECH POWER UP switch it could make it more a beast...

Or it could make it a dead beast that no longer has a warranty...

I hope not if you're benching games.... If it does, then it would confirm the throttling.... And then watch for a class action suit to follow....

I hope not if you're benching games.... If it does, then it would confirm the throttling.... And then watch for a class action suit to follow....

Class action suit for what? nVidia has every right to throttle their hardware to prevent damage. This is no different than modding a car, do so but at your own risk.

Class action suit for what? nVidia has every right to throttle their hardware to prevent damage. This is no different than modding a car, do so but at your own risk.

Ok, you guys are not following this correctly...

GTX 580 uses 244W TDP

GTX 480 uses 250W TDP

The gtx 480 does not throttle at all, except between 2d and 3d programs.

It has been proven that the GTX 580 throttles for OCCT and Furmark.

Supposedly games are not effected.

However, Tech power up (GPU-z) has a way to disable the throttle..

Bench a game with it enabled, then disable it and bench it again.

If nothing changes, then it does not throttle during games.

However, if there is a change, then it is in fact throttling the GPU during game play and that is what we are trying to determine.

But, if the card over heats during game play while the throttle is turned off, then that's where the class action comes into play... Nvidia is claiming its a new heat-sink design and a new less power requirement part. But in all reality its voltage control and nothing really "new". The GTX480 has no issue without GPU throttling, why would the GTX580 be any different? Its essentially the same card.. So if we turn that feature off, and we see a huge performance gain then nvidia has a problem on their hands as they are holding back the hardware's true capability.

So the true TDP would be 260- 270 watts if we open it up..

That hardly calls for a class action suit or anything close to that. Nvidia states the TDP - Thermal design power - to be what it is with the throttling option enabled, as it comes from the factory. They are not making claims beyond what they have put in the design of the card and bios, if you disable the throttling then you essentially making adjustments beyond the design, altering the performance using a tweak, same goes for OC'ing, it you overvolt and OC a card or CPU for that matter it will output way more heat than what the TDP states. TDP applies to stock voltage and settings, not OC settings.

That hardly calls for a class action suit or anything silimiar. Nvidia states the TDP - Thermal design power - to be what it is with the throttling option. They are not making claims beyond what they have put in the design of the card, if you disable the throttling then you essentially making adjustments beyond the design, altering the performance using a tweak, same goes for OC'ing, it you overvolt and OC a card or CPU for that matter it will output way more heat than what the TDP states. TDP applies to stock voltage and settings, not OC settings.

There are two ways of looking at this...

Maybe nvidia could not figure how to lower the power requirements and throttled the GPU instead....

Its a new card... just wait... I have a feeling its going to be "I told ya so..."

I really hope I'm wrong...

edit:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/20852-gpu-z-throttles-the-gtx-580-back-up

Wizzard conjures its magic

All of you have probably already heard and seen Nvidia's latest trick with which its GTX 580 card simply throttles down once it hits its power consumption peak. Nvidia's throttling came to a bitter end as Wizzard from TechpowerUp site has conjured up its new version of GPU-Z software that can go around Nvidia's throttling function.

With throttling, Nvidia made sure that the TDP remained pretty low as the clock speed throttling logic simply reduced the clock speeds once it hit the magic number. It has also prevented the card to work at its full potential and has prevented most of the review sites to use Furmark or OCCT in order to push it to its limits. Overclockers were keen to see how fast this card could go and now it's a simple matter of running the new GPU-Z with the "/GTX580OCP" command-line.

Of course, TechPowerup was quick to note that they are not responsible for any damage caused by this. They also ran Furmark test in order to see the "real" power consumption and guess what, it is really somewhere at 350W, at least when pushed by Furmark.

You can find out more here.

Edit2:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVID...g-Disabled-by-Latest-GPU-Z-Build-166534.shtml

I will see later today when i get my 580 if it throttles when benching with it...will post here my findings. Nobody uses OCCT or Furmark in any case unless you want to slowly kill your card.

I will see later today when i get my 580 if it throttles when benching with it...will post here my findings. Nobody uses OCCT or Furmark in any case unless you want to slowly kill your card.

I killed my first 295 running furmark.. so it gets no play on any system of mine anymore :cool:

Awesome.. However please use that GPU-Z switch and do benchmarking...

I really need to know if this is true...

I use a program called EVGA Precision that can monitor GPU load, like after burner. You should keep an I on that...

All cards will surpass their TDP if run under Fur or OCCT w/o any throttling. nVidia and AMD do not use Fur to determine TDP.

All cards will surpass their TDP if run under Fur or OCCT w/o any throttling. nVidia and AMD do not use Fur to determine TDP.

I know.. that's not what I want tested. I want to see if regular benchmarking is altered with the throttle turned off.. 3dmark 05,06 Vantage, crisis, things of that nature.

;)

I still don't see what could possibly give you the idea that Nvidia should be sued for including a hardware protection feature.

I still don't see what could possibly give you the idea that Nvidia should be sued for including a hardware protection feature.

Never said they should be sued for that feature.

More so sued for misrepresenting the technology and allegedly holding back the hardware for better performance. It has been stated by Nvidia them selves and I quote:

Dedicated hardware circuitry on the GTX 580 graphics card that performs real-time monitoring of current and voltage on each 12V rail (6-pin, 8-pin, and PCI-Express).

Power monitoring adjusts performance only if power specs are exceeded AND if the application is one of the stress apps we have defined in our driver to monitor such as Furmark (which is what Linus was testing) and OCCT. So far we have not seen any real world games that are affected by power monitoring or need power throttling to stay within spec.

We will enable power monitoring for older Furmark versions in future drivers. The 262.99 driver released today only identifies Furmark version 1.8. If other thermal stress apps are discovered, they will be added to the protection mechanism from time to time with driver updates.

- We do not provide any end user ability to turn off power capping today.

- The power limits for GTX 580 are set close to PCI Express specs for each 12V rail.

- In this initial implementation, when power capping becomes active, clocks inside the chip are reduced by 50%. Many 3rd party tools have not yet been updated to show this fact, but we suspect updates will be coming to make the internal clock reductions more visible.

end quote

Back