• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8Z68-V Pro won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TobyDM

Registered
I'm building my own rig and I can't get it to post. The processor is the new I7 2600k sandybridge CPU unlocked.
I don't know if i've got a dud mobo or a dead processor or an underpowered PSU.
When I switch on, the chassis and CPU fans start whirring then stop 2 seconds later and the CPU LED flashes on the motherboard. This process repeats every 5 seconds until I switch it off.
The PSU is a 750W Corsair.
I've checked the CPU is correctly loaded and positioned in the 1155 socket.
I'm a bit wary of returning the processor in case it turns out to be the mobo
and vice versa - all were bought from Amazon.
Anyone have any ideas ?

What is your entire build? CPUs are rarely the problem, unless you bent a pin. Could be mobo or RAM

Make sure that besides the 24-pin ATX PSU connector, you also have power connected to the 8-pin EATX12V AUX connector.

I've followed the guide to the letter all connections are correct and everything is plugged in fine , specs are :-

1) Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 mobo ( 2.5 cm smaller than the maximus )

2) Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked (with arctic thermal paste)

3) Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB 1600MHz CL8 DDR3 Vengeance

4) GeForce GTX 560 Ti

oh and I just checked , the PSU is 700W not 750W.

Thing is, the CPU is the first thing that the mobo checks in its POST attempt.It doesn't even get past that stage to check the rest of the hardware.

Thanks, I've checked out the link but the problem I am having is right at the beginning. I've disconnected the vid and sound card as the system I am building has both on board. I've taken out all RAM except 1 stick - checked that it's well seated in the right slot and the SSD is disconnected also. It's not even getting past the first 2 seconds of fans whirring before it shuts down,there are no onboard beeps to signal where the problem . is , although like I said, this mobo has lights on which signify exactly where the problem is and it's always the CPU LED that flashes.
Problem is of course, I can't test the system with my old 775 socket Q6600 processor as it won't fit in this 1155 socket so I have no way of knowing if it's the mobo or the cpu that is to blame - both are brand new. I certainly didn't bend any pins when I slotted it in

Remove the board from the case, set it on a non-conductive surface, and w/ all components re-connected check for a successful POST. Leave the videocard installed, w/ only 1 stick of RAM installed to the correct DIMM slot (normally the 1st or 2nd closest to the CPU socket, but check your manual to be sure), but remove any non-essential PCI / PCIE cards.

Done that :) No joy :) same result every time. I know some mobos can post without the CPU attached but I don't think this new ASUS can.
Guess I'll take it into the local repair shop tomorrow to get them to check it out, hopefully at the very least, they can tell me which part is dead so I know what I have to return to Amazon.

With no power to power supply, unhook the 8 pin EPS Cpu connector and then RE-apply A/C power and try to boot and look for different symptoms.

IF it tries to boot a little further, my gut points at shorted cpu, meaning a bad cpu acting like a short. At that point you will have to look inside cpu socket for bent pins anyway since you are going to have to try a "test" cpu to fully determine it is not a board problem. You are pretty close to having to substitute and actual known good for your possibly defective parts. Luck man.

Yes - the only thing I haven't done so far is take a sledgehammer to it lol. I can easily see why people do :)
I think my only solution is take it to the repair shop. I don't want it repaired but maybe they can do a hardware system diagnosis and tell me which is failing :- the processor or the mobo, then I'll at least know what to send back and get replaced.

Yeah, quick bench mount with a different chip should narrow it down. Good luck with that.

I got this mb last week, and apart from the myraid of options in the bios, and the chipset running hot, its been pretty solid for me so far. Chip is 2500k. Havent even started the OC'ing yet.

Office716.jpg

OK, thanks for all the advice. Official verdict is bent pins on the 1155 socket.
They offered to try and tease them straight for me but I've only just unwrapped the beast so am sending it back to Amazon for a replacement.
No doubt if it goes back to Asus they will claim I bent the pins but I don't see how that's possible - it's not like I rubbed it with sandpaper lol.. The CPU was just dropped gently into place and the hatch closed,

Had bent pins on mine as well. Not sure how they got bent but I just used a tiny screwdriver and bent em back and all was fine. Not that hard if you have a steady hand

Back