• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2P 4P and bigadv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bijiont

Hello Everyone,

I have been doing a ton of reading on bigadv and the new 4P setups along with some older 2P configurations. To be honest I haven't done this much research since I started watercooling!

I am trying to figure out what everyone is moving to these days in terms of bigadv. Back when I purchased my 2600k folders they were great for cheap bigadv points however with the changes my 2600k folders aren't picking up the numbers they use to ( obviously ).

I have read about the Magnys, IL's and several others along with 2P boards and the Supermicro 4P boards but what I haven't found is a definitive list of what is the most cost effectively currently. Obviously if you get parts on the cheap you save yourself a little but overall what builds are the most effective price/PPD?

I also read 2P and SR boards are still holding their own along with 1366's.

Feedback is appreciated,

SR-2's have been compared to 4P 6272 IL's and 6174 MC's and the consensus is that the SR-2's draw about 80-100 watts more power to run, and make between 1/2 and 3/4ths the number of points, of either of these AMD 4P systems.

Prices vary widely depending on what cpu's are used, in all the above, of course. 6174's have been had for $390 used on Ebay, but now with the changes to bigadv folding, the demand has increased the price to close to $500. There are no used 6272's yet, tmk.

There are some intangibles here, but they are significant:

The SR-3's will bring new performance to the Intel side of folding. There are two things that need to be considered, imo:

1) The SR boards have been noticeably finicky. Some of the threads on EVGA and other forums about the SR board stability problems show a LOT of frustration and anger from the owners.
As TC said:
Well the 3 sr2s that I've had were all so finicky that an awkward glance would stop them from posting - even at defaults sometimes.
Will the new boards be more stable? Nobody knows. Buying them is a leap of faith on your part - the frustrated owners were not noobs.

Contrast this with a company like SuperMicro, and the stability of their server motherboards, over the years. There's no way EVGA compares favorably.

2) As with all the Intel products, in two years or three years, you'll want to upgrade, and discover that Intel has orphaned that socket. You want to upgrade? Buy a new motherboard with the new socket - of course!

Contrast that with the G34 socket used on the AMD 4P SuperMicro board. Yes, AMD has some orphan sockets, but G34 is not one of them. Since it's used in so many server systems, it's almost guaranteed to be around for years to come.

Server equipment is prized for it's reliability, and when possible, using less power. That's perfect for folding! Although I love the look and performance of the SR boards, (when they run right), I am sure that server type folding, is the way to go.

Put some Noctua's on a 4P MC or Interlagos board, and you will be meeting up face to face, with a lot of quiet.

Intel says they will be coming out with low power server cpu's, but I'm not interested. I've played Intel's game of "Socket, socket, what's the new socket for THIS year?", game, one time too many.

Nice explanation Adak!

I too am tired of the Socket game with intel. If the die shrinks, why does the socket get larger? :screwy: ... I never had an AMD rig until I complete this 4p build... I like the fact that AMD will possibly see the IL was not that big of an improvement, and possibly their next upgrade will be a 63XX, cheap, fast, and a lot better of an upgrade... all on the same socket. And AMD is nicely priced, so an upgrade would run me 2k, then possibly in a year my CPUs I ordered now will still hold an ok value of atleast 2-300 per CPU. netting me an upgrade to 4 better CPUs at about 800 bucks from the old going out... Fat chance though.

Sticking with a socket is both a blessing and a curse. As dies shrink and transistor count increases, more and more motherboard functions move on die, and the socket becomes a limiting factor. One could argue that it is a contributing factor in AMD's now seemingly perpetual 2nd place in the performance category. Its a blessing price wise to the end user at least untill the Intel performance advantage skews the price performance ratio. Right now, for what we do, a 6/12 core Intel desktop chip is as fast or faster than a 2P 16/32 core AMD server rig.

so its safe to say, in the future (maybe not so distant now), Motherboards will just turn into a socket conduit for the CPU to hook your keyboard mouse and monitor into? haha!

Best is to pick a price point you are comfortable for spending on your rig and then research your components. AMD is probably the best way to go for server hardware, since like Adak says, and personal experience, the SR-2s are a pain to keep going. AMD is cheap and since OC is very limited, it's pretty much plug and play.

Also, unless you can get a cheap AMD 2p, go for the 4p MB. It's only about $180 more, but allows you an upgrade path to 4p. Also a lot of people forget that a 4p with some cheap 8-core MC's can outperform a 2p 12-core. If you can find them, used 8-core MCs are about the same price as a single used 12-core MC.

Also, unless you can get a cheap AMD 2p, go for the 4p MB. It's only about $180 more, but allows you an upgrade path to 4p. Also a lot of people forget that a 4p with some cheap 8-core MC's can outperform a 2p 12-core. If you can find them, used 8-core MCs are about the same price as a single used 12-core MC.

+1. Offer $400 for four of these and you are on your way. :)

+1. Offer $400 for four of these and you are on your way. :)
Done,

Hope my wife doesn't get too mad...I don't use ebay, and she left herself logged in....and then after I submitted the offer, I checked the account name and its her brother's account!:D

She doesn't appear to be using the 13" mac air I gave her for Christmas...that should fund this project nicely!:D

Done,

Hope my wife doesn't get too mad...I don't use ebay, and she left herself logged in....and then after I submitted the offer, I checked the account name and its her brother's account!:D

This made me happy! Quick shipper and everything worked for me.

She doesn't appear to be using the 13" mac air I gave her for Christmas...that should fund this project nicely!:D

This made me sad! Poor unused Mac Air. Its heart is broken.

;)

Which one? 6124HE or the 6128 I just finished putting together?
Good god man there wont be any work left for the rest of us when you get done. :shock: Im more interested in 6128 stats but might as well show us both.

And update your will when your brother in law finds out it's charged to his account. :rofl:

So now your wife knows you're getting a big expensive server, and have plans to sell her sweet little Mac Air. The dear digital thing that you just got her for Christmas.

And you think you aren't on the thinnest of ice? :rofl:

Done,

Dave, you go guy! You da man! :salute::attn:

PS If that Mac Air is available, LMK. ;)

So now your wife knows you're getting a big expensive server, and have plans to sell her sweet little Mac Air. The dear digital thing that you just got her for Christmas.

And you think you aren't on the thinnest of ice? :rofl:

Thats only half of it.... the kid got a 13"Air too! But they are both fighting over the kids iPad!:p That leaves me to fondle both of the Air's and Im lovin them:)

and when my wife asked me if I could put Windows on hers, my mouth fell open in horror! You can appreciate why I'm stealing it! (Not to sell, just to use:D ) Just call me Macaholic Junior:p

PS If that Mac Air is available, LMK.
Tim can I send you some Wu's instead? :)

Back