• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Offsettting Socket temp to get Core temp.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosera01

HEy guys,
I was able to stabilize my Phenom II x2 555 (unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55) Oced @ 3.89 GHz but i was always bugged by being unable to read CPU Core Temp and had to rely on Socket temp which CPUID Hardware Monitor Recorded as TMPIN1.
So i decided to startover just to get some idea what is actual temp difference between socket and cores.
I locked the unlocked cores and ran Prime95 on all stock setting and got the result as in screenshot below as I have QUOTED below.

Idle (Before Starting Prime95)
Socket Temp (TMPIN1) 30 C
CPU Core Temp 22 C
Difference 8 C
After 20 Minute on Prime95 (Max Recorded)
Socket Temp (TMPIN1) 46 C
CPU Core Temp 34 C
Difference 12 C
After 20 Minute on Prime95 (Min Recorded or Currently Running)
Socket Temp (TMPIN1) 42 C
CPU Core Temp 32 C
Difference 10 C

I did run this kind of run several times and always noticed that while running Prime95 difference bettween Socket Temp and Core Temp is always more than 10 C and on idle atleast 8 C or above.

Now real Question is
"While running as 4 core OCed @ 3.89 GHz my Socket temp goes upto 55-57 C while running Prime95 upto 2 hours, in this case can I assume that core temp should be at least 7-8 C below socket (ie below or upto 50 C) or Not?"

352qirr.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
"While running as 4 core OCed @ 3.89 GHz my Socket temp goes upto 55-57 C while running Prime95 upto 2 hours, in this case can I assume that core temp should be at least 7-8 C below socket temp.

Correct...so if you cannot read the core temp, subtract about 8-10c from socket temp and there you are. Job done.

thank you. This Overclocking thing is so addictive, now Seems like i have a couple of degrees room to play (57 socket -7 offset = 50 degree core temp) until i reach 55 core temp, I will try to get 4+ GHz.
Thanks again.

thank you. This Overclocking thing is so addictive, now Seems like i have a couple of degrees room to play (57 socket -7 offset = 50 degree core temp) until i reach 55 core temp, I will try to get 4+ GHz.
Thanks again.

This, when you take it seriously, is worse than cocaine. :D

And when I mean seriously, I mean to look for a golden chip and that stuff, to get one, and to eventually burn it getting the maximum. You've spent a lot of money, yet you want to do it again. :D

And when I mean seriously, I mean to look for a golden chip and that stuff, to get one, and to eventually burn it getting the maximum. You've spent a lot of money, yet you want to do it again. :D

Yes but when you finally get down to next to no money as myself...well then it does slow considerably. Thank goodness it is not a chemical addictor except to one's own brain.

I have a golden chip and i prefer it medium rare, not burnt thanks :)

Yes but when you finally get down to next to no money as myself...well then it does slow considerably. Thank goodness it is not a chemical addictor except to one's own brain.

I don't take overclocking seriously (aka. benching team) but that's what people told me. I just take a small overclock (4.5GHz).

I don't have the money to burn chips and so, and haven't found a LN2 source in Spain, nor that I have a pot neither.

Or just use Coretemp and fuhgetaboutit?

WHile I love Hwmonitor, and speedfan (5 years ago), hwmonitor has too much information on it that tends to confuse some. Speedfan just really doesnt seem to work properly with modern hardware.

Coretemp and thats it. 90% of people, even here, dont need to know the stuff on Hwmonitor. :)

Or just use Coretemp and fuhgetaboutit?

WHile I love Hwmonitor, and speedfan (5 years ago), hwmonitor has too much information on it that tends to confuse some. Speedfan just really doesnt seem to work properly with modern hardware.

Coretemp and thats it. 90% of people, even here, dont need to know the stuff on Hwmonitor. :)

In My case, with unlocked cores, CORETEMP does not give any reading at all. At least HWMonitor or Speedfan give socket temp as TMPIN1.

Ahh,ok. Damn AMD and unlocking... :p

hahhaha, not bad right? Bought Phenom II x2 55BE @3.2 GHz, now running as Phenom II x4 B55 @3.89 GHz. I guess worth the effort and of course knoledge about overclocking and more than that its really a fun.

In My case, with unlocked cores, CORETEMP does not give any reading at all. At least HWMonitor or Speedfan give socket temp as TMPIN1.

CoreTemp is trying to read exactly what its' name implies and that is core temperature and since an unlocked AMD cpu does not output a core temp, the CoreTemp will give n0 temp at all.

Having already gone a couple of rounds with a user here in the forum, I would stay the heck away from SpeedFan. It is too old or too old acting and gives all sorts of weird numbers in general across its' menu of readouts.

As i already mentioned, coretemp is no-use for me. HWMonitor- i used quite sometime now & it really helped me to guess core temperature using TMPIN1 as socket temp. About speedfan, i use it together with HWMonitor and consistently gives exact same socket temp as HWMonitor and gigabyte easytune. I use these 3 programs while stressing my system. Easytune 6, HWMonitor and speedfan all give exact same temp not even a degree different. And i used speedfan together with HWMonitor to compare core temps as well before unlocking and OCing that helped me to offset socket temp to estimate core temps.
Thanks

Back