• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling with a motorcycle radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD5830Gamer

Just been wondering i been looking on frozencpu.com at some PC rads and they look very poorly built and thin and no pressure cap thinking about going for a radiator like this one: http://bit.ly/M7H4sa do you guys think it will cool better than a PC radiator? I've look for countless hours and still can't find a PC radiator that's TIG welded and have a pressure cap. Anyways i plan on using this radiator any ideals on what GPH pump i would need? i noticed how the water chambers are bigger than PC rads and one tube is on the top and one on the bottom while PC rads have both water tubes on the bottom or top is this a problem for water cooling? reply thx:) pics
motorcycle radiators
RAMC-YZ85-02.jpg

RAMC-RMZ450-05.jpg

PC radiators
ex-rad-286.jpg
xtreme240_2pass_black_800w.jpg

Last edited:
What material is the motorcycle rad made from? Aluminum? If so, you will have to run anti-corrosives in the loop (antifreeze) to keep from having galvanic corrosion rearing it's ugly head in a mixed metal system. Rads made for computer use are typically made of brass and copper for all surfaces in contact with the coolant and which alleviate the galvanic corrosion problem. Also, mounting that puppy in a case might pose problems too, as well as mounting fans to it.

What material is the motorcycle rad made from? Aluminum? If so, you will have to run anti-corrosives in the loop (antifreeze) to keep from having galvanic corrosion rearing it's ugly head in a mixed metal system. Rads made for computer use are typically made of brass and copper for all surfaces in contact with the coolant and which alleviate the galvanic corrosion problem. Also, mounting that puppy in a case might pose problems too, as well as mounting fans to it.

I also plan on buying a very, very big case for water cooling or just mount it outside the case. What GPH pump would i need though?

and PC radiators do not build up pressure, so being tig welded is just for looks if you're going to use it in a computer.

I'm sure it would cool just fine, but as Muddoctor said, it's probably made of Aluminum and will give you corrosion issues if you don't use antifreeze.

I'm jsure a local radiator shop could custom build you something if you rather go that route, but Swiftech has some really good proven designs. Just one of many mfg's that produce rads.

:attn:
WII

The usual suspects would be good, such as a Laing D5 vario (Swiftech MCP655 vario) or the MCP35x should do well with it I would think. Also, what is the FPI (fins per inch) of that rad? If fairly dense, then you might need to go with higher static pressure fans.

and PC radiators do not build up pressure, so being tig welded is just for looks if you're going to use it in a computer.

I'm sure it would cool just fine, but as Muddoctor said, it's probably made of Aluminum and will give you corrosion issues if you don't use antifreeze.

I'm jsure a local radiator shop could custom build you something if you rather go that route, but Swiftech has some really good proven designs. Just one of many mfg's that produce rads.

:attn:
WII

To be honest i like overkill and PC rads are junk you use a PC rad on a motorcycle you would have problems. And i like the TIG weld i think it would look very cool on the computer i don't want to use a PC rad i want to use this. This would be cool at the LAN party lmao.

PC rads are designed to be used with the heat load that a PC produces and should be more efficient at these temps. PC rads will not be able to take the MUCH HIGHER temps and pressure that a motorcycle rad would.

They aren't junk just because you can't use them on a bike. This is just such an ignorant thing to claim, that it actually fires me up.

To each his own, remember people used to use (and some still do) heater cores from cars. As others have said, use anti-corrosives. It will work. It probably just won't be as efficient as a product designed to run at these temps. PC Rad OEMs don't spend money in R&D for no reason.

PC rads are designed to be used with the heat load that a PC produces and should be more efficient at these temps. PC rads will not be able to take the MUCH HIGHER temps and pressure that a motorcycle rad would.

They aren't junk just because you can't use them on a bike. This is just such an ignorant thing to claim, that it actually fires me up.

To each his own, remember people used to use (and some still do) heater cores from cars. As others have said, use anti-corrosives. It will work. It probably just won't be as efficient as a product designed to run at these temps. PC Rad OEMs don't spend money in R&D for no reason.

Try not to start any fights here. I just think that a motorcycle rad would be cool that's all.

You called pc rads junk because they cant be used on a bike. If i went into a motorcycle forum and called motorcycle engines junk because they couldnt be used in an SUV what would people say to that? They would, rightly, call me ignorant. If you think pc rads are junk, you are ignorant about watercooling a pc, that isnt an insult, it simply is.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:

1) Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
2) Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular

Can you make a motorcycle rad work, yes, just like you can make a heater core work, just like you can make a car/truck radiator work, just like you can make 40 feet of copper coil buried in your backyard work, just like you can make a shower head and 6 feet of pvc work, just like you can make an open bucket with a fan blowing over the surface work. All of those things will get heat out of the water, with varying degrees of effectiveness.

Now, as for how effective that particular rad is, its hard to say without knowing what metal its made of, what its dimensions are, what size the fittings are, how capable you are of modding, and depending on how dense the fins are, what kind of noise you are willing to deal with.

Edit: having looked over that ebay page, there is no way i would personally consider that for watercooling my pc, it costs more than a swiftech 120.4, will take more effort to mount the fans to it, it can only take 2 120mm fans, its made of aluminum, so you have to run either a designer coolant or auto coolant, which could clog in many of todays best performing blocks due to the microfins. But if you want to do it, by all means, and post pictures when you are done, we all love to see how inventive people can be around here.

Last edited:
You called pc rads junk because they cant be used on a bike. If i went into a motorcycle forum and called motorcycle engines junk because they couldnt be used in an SUV what would people say to that? They would, rightly, call me ignorant. If you think pc rads are junk, you are ignorant about watercooling a pc, that isnt an insult, it simply is.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:

Can you make a motorcycle rad work, yes, just like you can make a heater core work, just like you can make a car/truck radiator work, just like you can make 40 feet of copper coil buried in your backyard work, just like you can make a shower head and 6 feet of pvc work, just like you can make an open bucket with a fan blowing over the surface work. All of those things will get heat out of the water, with varying degrees of effectiveness.

Now, as for how effective that particular rad is, its hard to say without knowing what metal its made of, what its dimensions are, what size the fittings are, how capable you are of modding, and depending on how dense the fins are, what kind of noise you are willing to deal with.

And i don't really care about noise i modded closed loop Corsair hydro coolers for ages... and this is my next project:) i am using a FX-8150 overclocked to 4.0GHZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with using this in your PC.

I still use a Heater Core from a 1976 Chevy Chevette in one of my cooling setups.
I bought it brand new.

It is made of copper and is factory finished by CHEVY.

Made a small edit to one of the previous posts. Let's keep this civil, some good insight and discussion here. I'd like that to continue.

FWIW, I didn't edit other parts, but there are probably better ways to express a sentiment than to use the word "ignorant". It's connotation is more harsh than intended, especially if you have to define it in order to mitigate its harsh nature. Best to just avoid stuff like that entirely, and stick to the point.

I just ordered:
Swiftech Apogee HD High Performance 4-Port CPU Waterblock and
Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator.

The radiator has less FPI (Fins Per Inch) so it is more open and will perform better with slower fans.

I am going for QUIET with good performance this time around.
It will be replacing an older Apogee (skt 775) and a single 120mm rad.
Both keep the current set up under 30C

I like your idea of Large radiator that looks cool too. :D

Also be aware that you will have to adapt either hose size or barb size to fit on that Rad, its going to be a lot bigger than what will be on your blocks and pump. I think everyone else has covered everything. also you wanna know if that rad will restrict flow at all I wouldn't think it would restrict any flow but you never know. I once thought of doing what your talking about with spare rads from my dirt bike but I didn't want to deal with the mixed metals.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/
Adjective:

Edit: having looked over that ebay page, there is no way i would personally consider that for watercooling my pc, it costs more than a swiftech 120.4, will take more effort to mount the fans to it, it can only take 2 120mm fans, its made of aluminum, so you have to run either a designer coolant or auto coolant, which could clog in many of todays best performing blocks due to the microfins. But if you want to do it, by all means, and post pictures when you are done, we all love to see how inventive people can be around here.

Also a motorcycle rad would last longer and look cooler, PC rads are ugly to me and are too cheaply built i want the good stuff. One more insult from you and permanent block. Stay on track about the project i just want something to show off to a modder as i go to LAN party's a lot. The only problem i can really see is that the walls/cores are too thick to dissipate the small amount of heat.

Actually, because the rad is aluminum you will have to do a ton more just to make it, and the blocks, last as long as a brsas or copper rad, nevermind longer. Looks are also subjective, I prefer the cleaner look of purpose built rads myself, though form is less important than function to me anyway. I havent insulted you, but feel free to block me, I wont lose a wink of sleep over it.

I did use both a bike rad (600 Transalp) and Peugeot 205 heater core. It works. As the guys stated, use antifreeze to avoid corrosion.

PC watercooling rads work better though...

Attachments

• DSC00644.JPG
    DSC00644.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,038
I did use both a bike rad (600 Transalp) and Peugeot 205 heater core. It works. As the guys stated, use antifreeze to avoid corrosion.

PC watercooling rads work better though...

PC water cooling would work better due to thinner cores. Automotive cooling rads are usually for cooling down liquids that are very hot 250F or higher vs 60C from a PC. I think it would last longer though don't you think? PC rads are junk just look at them no pressure cap for filling and no welding. I'm sure PCs can make some pressure rather it's a gasoline engine, CPU or nuclear power plant, heat is heat.

Last edited:
PC rads are made for this specific purpose. As was stated, looks are subjective. Just because you think they look inferior, it does not necessarily mean they are.

There are members here that have run their loops for years without any degradation of their rads. Not to mention that automotive radiators need to be tougher since they need to be able to take a lot more abuse than PC radiators.

Lastly, the water temps in a PC loop should never reach those in a car or motorbike, so evaporation due to boiling isn't something we need to safeguard.

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges. Like saying a go kart is a piece of junk because it can't go as fast as a Lamborgini.

I think we should all agree to disagree. We're dealing in the realm of opinion, and although anyone hates to be told otherwise, opinions can differ from one another. That's one of the things that make this such a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back