• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use 3x360 radiators with MEG Prospect 700R (PC Case) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skybuck

I love the look of this PC case:

https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MEG-PROSPECT-700R/Overview

I would love to be able to implement

1. AMD 7950 X3D 16 core CPU stacked with 3D V-Cache
2. NVIDIA RTX 4090

This particular PC case seems to be well suited for EK cooling solutions/radiators.

However there is a problem:

Theoretically this PC case can mount 3 x 360 radiators which would be needed to cool the CPU + the GPU both with water cooling.

However some of the EK cooling solutions require a DISTRIBUTION plate which would replace one of the 360 radiators, which would be a problem, because then there is not enough cooling to cool the CPU + the GPU.

The CPU is rumored to be able to generate close to 250 watts of heat.
The GPU is rumored to be able to generate close to 600 watts of heat (CHIP+RAM)

Basically the official narrative about both CPU and GPU are not thruthfull and could cause surprises for people building personal computers.

So for now I am going to assume that 850 watts of cooling power will be needed to cool these two hot components.

The general rule of thumb seems to be 120 mm/140 mm per 100 watts of heat.

So 850/100 = 8.5 so close to 9 fans needed. Hence the need for 9 fans, basically meaning 3 x 360 mm, which would be 3 x 3 x 120 mm fans at the very least.

Now I am wondering if there is a possibility to use all 3 radiator mounts, do away with the distribution plate, but where and/or how to mount a pump and a reservoir ?!?

What would you do if you had this PC case and wanted to mount this hardware above, is there a way to do it with 3 radiators of 360 mm ?!?

I am a complete noob with water cooling, so any help is appreciated.

You don't need a large reservoir and don't need a separate pump too, if you really want to use 3 rads. Another thing is that I see no point in 3x 360 rads, as 2 are not much worse. Better use thicker rads in this case.
Anyway, if you want 3x 360, then check this:
This combo isn't cheap but = no separated res, no separated pump, fewer fittings, and significantly more space for everything else. I have one for Intel, and it works great, I set it at 20% speed, and it's fine for 2x 360 rads.

More radiators won't give you better cooling unless you remove the heat from the case fast enough. The front rad will add heat to the case, so better seems to keep fans in the front and add a thick radiator next to the motherboard (with E-ATX plate) with exhaust to the exterior of the case and one thick rad on top (just check how thick can be installed).
Thicker radiators usually require faster fans or fans on both sides of the rad.

I find distro plates more for aesthetic purposes than anything else. It just looks better than a popular tube reservoir. Somehow I dislike most options on the market, so recently, I'm glad that brands like EK started releasing combo pump/res/block. These combo solutions used to be popular some years ago but were always low quality. If I decide to build custom water for my AMD rig, then I will probably get one more EK combo unit, as it's a real space saver and looks pretty good.

AMD CPUs run at not much more than their TDP, so expect closer to 180-200W. Cores will be hot (can't make much about it) but generated heat in W is still fine. The graphics card won't run at 100% all the time, so expect it won't keep that 600W for longer (at least in games). The CPU is the same. It will run at maybe 60-70% max wattage. 360 rad is about 300-360W. Thick with good fans can be like 500W, so dual thick rads will be more than enough.
If you care about aesthetics then you will have some more work and it may cost you more.

What I said is my point of view. Maybe others will add something else that will meet your expectations better.

Dustro plates are primarily used to make good looking rigid tubing builds without a lot of tube bending (requires time and skill). You can use any sort of pump/reservoir you want. Most have a bracket to mount to the radiator or fan.

For the pump on block, only thing I can think of as a disadvantage is filing the loop. Generally you will fill the reservoir, turn on the pump, then turn it back off as the reservoir gets low, and repeat the process. They look really cool and would give you a clean build.

Ideally you don't want all of your intake to be radiators. That said the air won't get so hot from the intake rads as to render the exhaust completely ineffective.

BUT, from reviews I've seen the 4090 doesn't do a whole lot more performance going to 450w from 350w, much less pushing to 600w. In gaming, it is unlikely that the CPU will push all 16 cores and actually use that much power either. I think 600w is probably plenty of cooling unless you plan to OC the stink out of it (and not see much performance for it).

Like was said above, that's a lot of rad for little return. The assumptions about power off the components are... interesting.

I dont think there's anyway to get 850W out of those components. Surely not 600W out of the GPU. 4090 is a 450W card. Perhaps it transients to 600, but these are blips and not something worth accounting for. 250W out of the cpu is a all core/thread stress test loaf and not something you'll see in gaming. It's good to plan for that, but here again. A single 3x120mm rad is fine for this part.

I have a 4090 suprim liquid x and it uses a simple 2x120mm radiator and smokes the air coolers. 2x 3x120mm rads is plenty for a 7950x (not sure they are making a 7950x 3d) and a 4090.

As has been mentioned already, you wont need 3x360 to cool a 7950x3d and 4090. The 4090 you buy would have to be one of the few with an unlocked vbios to run up to 600w. Otherwise most are locked at 450 or less. Even then, maxing out the power limit doesn't give much in the way of fps gained vs watts used/heat generated at 600w.
The 7950x3d is more of an unknown being that it won't come out until next month or March (I forget)but like the other gents mentioned, while gaming you won't have to worry about heat. If you're looping cinebench or p95 to test for stability you may see it reach max tdp.
Like Woomack said, you're best bet is to go with thick rads like the Hardwarelabs gtx or sr2 if you want the best of the best. Both models scale well at all fan speeds and are excellent quality. The gtx scale slightly better but the sr2 offers multiple ports. If you're set on EK go with their new X360M rads. They are the best they have to offer.
Be certain to pair your rads with the best high static pressure fans you can get. Noctua, bequiet!, Arctic and EK are good brands to check out, with phanteks t-30s being the kings of static pressure. They are 30mm thick so take that into consideration when taking measurements.
As far as pumps and reservoirs go, you have a world of options. Pump/res combos come in every shape, size and length you can imagine. You are free to use any brand that you like as well, they all connect and mount the same way. Like Z said, you can mount them to fans, rads or the sides/bottom of your case.
Check out
performance-pcs.com for the best selection of everything wcing.
GL and enjoy the new rig!

Back