• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 core or 6 core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bubba, not saying for sure you are wrong but this is exactly opposite of the conventional wisdom we have relied on around the forum as we always tell people that core temp is the most important temp value, unless of course, the sensor seems broken or obviously miscalibrated. And I have noted that with stock cooling the core temps are usually a little higher than socket temp and with good aftermarket cooling the opposite is true.

This is the third time I've explained it but I'll do it again. There are no temperature thermistors inside the cores themselves. There are a set of thermistors outside of the "die" within cpu package. These are all averaged and make up the "TCase" temperature (CPU Temp). Look in all of the documentation on AMD and you will see the max temperature listed as TCase NOT TCore. As obviously my "word" won't be taken I'll post this yet again (and anyone who still argues I'll be happy to forward the original emails or you can contact AMD tech support and they'll tell you the exact same thing (I tend to believe the actual company itself than the "conventional wisdom" on a forum which is why I emailed them in the first place since what was being said didn't make any sense).

My last email to AMD regarding temperatures (the subsequent emails after were different issues) -
Sent: Wed 5/16/12 10:44 AM
To: [email protected]

I'll sum up what I've learned and deduced and tell me if it's makes sense and/or is correct. As you've stated the Tcase is a singular temperature taken at the top of the CPU (I'm assuming from a diode at the top of the die where it makes contact with the IHS?). What seems to me as a dead giveaway that Tcase is not being used by programs like HWmonitor is that they list seperate values for each of the cores that can be the same but usually differ from each other (usually by 1-3C). Are individual "core" temperatures taken from a diode within each core? Or is it mathmatically based off of something like Tjunction to give a "guesstimate" for each core? But clearly the standard assumption I see that says quote: "CPU Temp = Tjunction or true Junction Temperature (This reading is taken from the sensor fixed in CPU socket on Motherboard.)" is clearly wrong. I was also under the assumption that motherboards didn't use a "socket" diode anymore as well. Does all of that make sense?

AMD's Tech Support Response -

Sent: Thu 5/17/12 8:14 AM
To: [email protected]

Dear Stephen,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200488157]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

You pretty much nailed it. I was able to get a little more info from the embedded team into borderline-proprietary information, so I'll try to elaborate on what you understood. TCase for AMD processors comes from a few thermistors (not one, apparently, just found that out) inside the processor case (at the bottom, where the pins are), connecting down to the CPU via the Junction. There are always more than 1 (at least 2, up to 6-8 potentially, but no elaboration given on how many per model), but the TCase temperature is determined by averaging those values out, done by the processor. TJunction is the temperature where the pins hit the board, and is usually a couple degrees cooler as all 940/941 pins aren't all firing at the same exact time, and not always evenly distributed when only 400 are on at one time.
TCore is actually mathematically guessed based on the varying TCase values, as there is no way to get a diode on top of the cores inside the processor, and putting it underneath the cores (between the bottom of the case and the bottom of the cores, which hover on a little silicon platform) would yield an inaccurate reading. As such, optimizing the core space on the wafers by keeping thermistors off, they just mathematically extrapolate the core temperature from the TCase values, based on core location on the processor and the values retrieved in that general area, plus some mathematical calculations.
TJunction is still a diode on the board, under the processor, which most boards still have, just in case the TCase values (or TJunction value given by Intel processors) are wrong for whatever reason. Though in some cases, TJunction can be off by as much as 20F, so it's obviously not an ideal value. Still, there are a lot of board manufacturers who will still include it, regardless of how necessary, because it's how they've always done things, and if there are problems with new processors or broken thermistors, they can still report a temperature, even if it's not the most accurate.

Sorry for the misinformation about the cores, I really had to get the embedded guys to give a little to get some information confirmation, including the number of thermistors in the case and where this coretemp comes from. A coworker summarized it well by saying that it's so tough trying to get confirmed information, because you get different reports from 3rd parties, and the actual designers/manufacturers want to keep as much information secret as possible. Sorry that this still isn't 100% concrete, but they finally gave in a bit and gave me a bit more information to work with this time, so now you (and I) have a clearer definition at least of what's going on temperature-wise.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This email is a direct result of your contact with AMD Global Customer Care and not part of a campaign. There is no need to unsubscribe to this email as you will only be contacted again if you directly request another service from AMD Global Customer Care.

The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only. AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change such information at any time, with or without notice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

To summarize, the majority of that we don't really need to know. All we need to know is that "CPU Temp" = "TCase" and TCase Max is the maximum temperature listed in the documentation (for the FX series it's either 61C or 70C depending on which one you have). Again, for our purposes the "core temps" are completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
found AI suite corrupt and the cause of all my issues this time.
here is what "the pig" look like at 4600 now.

Attachments

• 4600 6-17-12.jpg
    4600 6-17-12.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 145
ran prime for 2 hours.
from now on my monitors will be only monitors i have been pulling my hair out for a day or two over this f*&^up. i have reduced my cpu/nb voltage to 1.175 now and am working from there.

i know Rgone is on his back laughing at me and he surly has the right too!!!
he has ridden my but hard about software overclocking........

24c/75f in here, this weekend bbg/ booze party so the house is full of people and doors are all open.

i was using ai suite to test my bright ideas that normally failed and i will never install ANYTHING like it again!!!!!

Last edited:
ran prime for 2 hours.
from now on my monitors will be only monitors i have been pulling my hair out for a day or two over this f*&^up. i have reduced my cpu/nb voltage to 1.175 now and am working from there.

i know Rgone is on his back laughing at me and he surly has the right too!!!
he has ridden my but hard about software overclocking........

24c/75f in here, this weekend bbg/ booze party so the house is full of people and doors are all open.

i was using ai suite to test my bright ideas that normally failed and i will never install ANYTHING like it again!!!!!

Then you're temps are fine. You hit 56C max tem during that run which means you're still 6C below max temp (which by the way is a "conservative" limit placed by AMD not a "hit 63C and your CPU explodes" limit).

yea they were conservative, i have run all four of these cpu's over 70c and 1.66 volts but now i limit myself to 70c.
the other thing i have found interesting is that above a particular clock speed, in actual use, running a linux program that abuses all 8 cores, it will take longer to complete the calculations.
that is refering to these four cpu's and that one program.
this clock speed is from 4.2 with "the pig" to 4.4 and 4.5 on the others. and "the pig" completes the calculations the fastest.

i don't sell my used and abused stuff it normally just burns and then i just add it to the bone pile over there.

ok, so i have borrowed an 1100 cpu 6 core and it is hammering away at the work my 8 core has to do. the 8 core take 40- 50 hours to complete the sim so we will see what this six core takes.

ok, so i have borrowed an 1100 cpu 6 core and it is hammering away at the work my 8 core has to do. the 8 core take 40- 50 hours to complete the sim so we will see what this six core takes.

The outcome should be interesting. There are some things that we assume the answer will be X, but now you will find out for sure. Good deal man. RGone...ster.

ok, the six core has completed the task!!!!!
started thursday night and it is tuesday afternoon 4 and a half days running 24\7, about 1 day shorter than my quadcore. I think i'll keep to an 8 core.
there are a few things to remember, the system is tweaked for the 8 core and i had little time to reset much for the 6 core. this is the first 6 core i have ever used

Back