• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little help with my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blindeagle

Registered
Hi there , a lot of people on here are so nice and helped me understand what to get etc for my rig. Now i have got some options to go through etc to choose the best things i need. With the CPU not sure which one to pick. I am using this computer for just gaming. Same thing with graphic card not sure which one to pick. Motherboard i got this recommend by a friend so again not sure. Could you guys just give me a little help on finishing this off :) My budget is £900(uk) Thanks again.

Case: Mars Midi ATX(Blue)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K / / Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD FX 8320 / AMD FX-8350 Vishera
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Grahic card: 3GB Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 / 2GB EVGA GTX 770 / 3GB SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Motherboard: Not sure but got reccmoned this one MSI Z87-G43 Motherboard
Power supply: 600W Corsair CX600 PSU
Hard drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive
media card reader: No idea what this is :)
DVD burner: Just need it to run DVD , dont really need blu ray i guess
Sound card: Need advice on this to, just something good but not to expensive

4670K would be my choice... FX 8350 if I really needed to save 50$.

GTX 770, or HD 7970 if you need to save a little more money and find a good deal. Usually they sell around the same price, but the 7970 is more likely to have special discounts if you search around.

Board is okay for gaming and mild OC. With the 212 Evo cooler you won't get much more than a mild OC on Haswell anyway. Fair choices for the budget.

Keep with onboard audio unless you buy a speaker set actually worth buying a dedicated card. Onboard ALC 898/1150 will do the trick with average speaker set.

A card reader would be a hub for connecting various devices - USB, SD cards, and such. If you can make do with the front panel of your case then you're all good without one.

I would try to squeeze a SSD in the budget for the OS.

Everything else is fine. Good luck and welcome to OCF!

Thank you so much for all the help going 2 try and do and rebuild with your help!

Ok this is what i got it down to. What do you think?

Case: NZXT Phantom black and orange
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage 2: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB
Power supply: Corsair CX 600W
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Also one questions, i really want the case sort of to clour up orange, so should i buy some extra LED fans which are orange? because the case on the left hand side got like a little window which looks cool if u had a fan in there lighting it up, or do i need something else? Thanks

Aright cool. and can i ask what u think about the build, do i need to change anything ?

The build is perfect for gaming, you don't need more than that. For overclocking it's a little subpar, you probably won't get much unless you have a golden chip. Then again, 4.3-4.4GHz makes for a nice OC for gaming, and it should be within range of your cooling solution.

The only one thing to mention is that, if you look around carefully, you can probably find the PSU CX600M which is modular, for about the same price or 10 quids more. I personally would pay the difference if the price is good, but that is up to you!

Edit : it is worth mentioning that, if you don't plan to add a second GPU in the future, you could simply buy the CX500M, plenty enough power for one GPU and a mild OC.

You have two GPUs (both 770 GTXs) that's fine if you want them. You could get a single GTX 780 and save a bit.

If you are not gaming past 1080P a single 770 would be fine or a 7970 (which would still save you some cash).

What resolution are you planning on playing on? AMD/ATI has a GPU refresh coming shortly.

You have two GPUs (both 770 GTXs) that's fine if you want them. You could get a single GTX 780 and save a bit.

If you are not gaming past 1080P a single 770 would be fine or a 7970 (which would still save you some cash).

What resolution are you planning on playing on? AMD/ATI has a GPU refresh coming shortly.

It seems clear to me that he made a mistake and forgot he had already written one down. Usually, people will make a fuss about going SLI, they certainly won't separate the cards on their list. Also, there's no mention anywhere about a SLI or dual cards or anything in the original post.

GTX 770 will be fine for anything single screen.

Back