• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List of motherboards that support 6 GPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
Data needed, post it if you know it!

7 GPU - MSI Big Bang-XPower II
7 GPU - MSI Z77A-GD65 (with an Ivy Bridge CPU)
7 GPU - MSI Z77 MPower (Win8)

8-Bitcoin-H81%20Pro%20BTC.jpg

6 GPU - MSI Z77A-G45 (*on middle 16X slot if 1X riser is used)
6 GPU - MSI Z77A-GD65 (note: see 7 GPU entry)
6 GPU - MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2 *
6 GPU - Asus P6T7
6 GPU - Asrock BTC Pro
6 GPU - EVGA X58 4-Way Classified board (170-BL-E762-A1) (Windows 7 pro x64. 13.12 modded drivers.)

5 GPU - ASRock 970 EXTREME4

4 GPU - Asrock 970 Extreme3
4 GPU - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
4 GPU - MSI Z87-G55

*= requires the pcie 1x presence jumper

Software: You can run up to 4 GPU on win7 with driver 12.8 or higher, 5 GPU on win7 with driver 12.6 or lower OR win8 with 12.8 or higher, and 6 GPU on win8 with driver 12.6 or lower (requires special installation steps)

Much of the above data was gleaned from the bitcointalk forums.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this only encompass boards with 6 PCIe slots? You can go to newegg.com and sort them by the number of slots. ;)

You will have to use say 4 PCIe 16x and 2 PCIe 1x or 5 16x 1 1x... etc. But its doable.

Wouldn't this only encompass boards with 6 PCIe slots? You can go to newegg.com and sort them by the number of slots. ;)

You will have to use say 4 PCIe 16x and 2 PCIe 1x or 5 16x 1 1x... etc. But its doable.

I discovered the hard way that having lots of slots does not mean you can use them all. My MOBO has 7 PCI-E slots (combination of 16X and 1X) but only 4 can be used at the same time (even with powered 1X to 16X risers). I tested every possible slot combination for this motherboard before asking the manufacturer who confirmed the limit of 4 cards.

Thus this thread is searching for motherboards that have the ability to actually drive 6 16X mining cards (using any number of risers for conversion of 1X to 16X)

You can use more if the board has a PLX chip (speaking of non X79 boards which have enough PCIe lanes native to the CPU). Not sure you can search by that item though. What I would do is gather a list, then see if they have a PLX chip. If they do, you should be able to use all slots. Id confirm with a miner though...

GL! :)

Boards with a PLX chip that have 6 PCIe slots + PLX...

EVGA Z87 Classified
ASUS Z87 Deluxe Quad and Dual and regular
ASUS z87-WS
MSI Z87 Xpower and MPower

Last edited:
5er : Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V
5er (though it has 6) : AsRock H61DEL

Interesting, that throws a wrench in the PLX thing as I do not believe that board to have it. But in reading the instructions, you have some things to manipulate to get the lanes situated correctly...

Interesting, that throws a wrench in the PLX thing as I do not believe that board to have it. But in reading the instructions, you have some things to manipulate to get the lanes situated correctly...

exactly. What you have to do is short the gpu presence detection on (some of) the boards.

So do boards with the PLX chip in it prevent that from happening (the hoops you need to jump through to get it to work)?

And I will slowly back out of the thread and be a fly on the wall. Im being overzealous and reaching in my efforts to help!! :rofl:

eaglescouter, just noticed you have MSI Z87-G55 listed as 4 GPUs. I have both a Z87-G45 and Z87-G65 running with 6x 280x in each running Windows 7. Presence shorts were required, but I'm just about 99% certain a G45 would run 6 also.

To contribute further to the list:

MSI Z77-GD65 6x GPUs Win7 (will try 7 GPUs soon)
MSI X58 Big Bang xPower 6x GPUs Win7 (will try 7 GPUs soon)
Gigabyte X58-UD3R 6x GPUs Win7
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 5x GPUs Win7
Asus P5E 5x GPUs Win7
Asus P5Q Deluxe 5X GPUs Win7

Gotta check a few more setups, can't remember their MB models.

Last edited:
eaglescouter, just noticed you have MSI Z87-G55 listed as 4 GPUs. I have both a Z87-G45 and Z87-G65 running with 6x 280x in each running Windows 7. Presence shorts were required, but I'm just about 99% certain a G45 would run 6 also.

That is my personal board.
I did not try the presence shorts, but their tech support told me the board will not support more than 4 1X PCI-E devices regardless of the configuration of slots used.

Back