• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.4 t-bird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tactics

First off, I'm a complete utter Newbie. I've read many of the newbie FAQ's and searched around a while. So, please be kind and don't laugh at my stupidity :D !

I recently purchased my new T-bird 1.4 (266). I want to make this bird run faster than my friends computer. (an XP 1700 on an ECS k7vta3, with 512 mb of PC2100) :) computing at its finest :)

The motherboard I currently have is a k7ama (wasn't my first choice but it's what i got.) I purchased an Enermax 350W to power my system. And plan to get proper cooling as well. Comments on the ram I should choose would be appreciated!

Now the nitty gritty....

In order to squeez just an extra 100 hz or so out of my bird, Will i *HAVE* to unlock it or are there other routes that I can take?

Thanks
Tactics :beer:

I'm gonna let my ignorance shine, but i was under the impression in order to increase FSB u must unlock your chip first.

lonewolf1983 said:
all tbird 1.4s come factory unlocked
but fsb will provide a faster system

yea. mine didn't come unlocked either. and the pencil trick has never worked for me either. and using jumpers to set the multi doesn't let me fine tune the fsb as i would like either :( ahhg. i'll just have to wait till the tbred is out before i'll get a mobo worthy of overclocking on. allwell

Xantec said:

yea. mine didn't come unlocked either. and the pencil trick has never worked for me either. and using jumpers to set the multi doesn't let me fine tune the fsb as i would like either :( ahhg. i'll just have to wait till the tbred is out before i'll get a mobo worthy of overclocking on. allwell
mine also came locked as well but used a pencil to unlock it. found out that I get a better overclock at the default 10.5 and fsb 157 now if my cpu was able to go higher while still maintaining stability I would have used 11x
Xantec, your operating system can influence how well your chip overclocks win 98se is crap far as overclocking goes at least it held me to stock speeds. I had pretty good luck with winME haven't tried any other version of windows yet.

hmm. if might be my operating system (i just upgraded to xp again last night, from 98se), but it also might be my generic ram that can't seem to handle anything over a 140 fsb. or, it could be that the ali magik1 chipset doesn't like to get overclocked. i don't think i've ever seen anyone with one of them say anything about it here, so i don't know.

as for your system going unstable at 11x you might've needed a higher v.core setting, or perhaps better cooling. ofcourse, you probably thought of all that already, now that i look at the number of stars under your name :D

Last edited:
So, the ali magik1 chipset is that bad for overclocking or is it just Xantec that has problems with it. I am just looking maybe jumping up my FSB one notch.

I also intend on using tweak-xp's processor tweak.

Tactics

Xantec said:
hmm. if might be my operating system (i just upgraded to xp again last night, from 98se), but it also might be my generic ram that can't seem to handle anything over a 140 fsb. or, it could be that the ali magik1 chipset doesn't like to get overclocked. i don't think i've ever seen anyone with one of them say anything about it here, so i don't know.

as for your system going unstable at 11x you might've needed a higher v.core setting, or perhaps better cooling. ofcourse, you probably thought of all that already, now that i look at the number of stars under your name :D

Just raised up to 12x139 earlier today raised vcore up to 1.97 my cpu temp is now 40c full load I see I am using the same heatsink but I use a duct on mine. for your information the asus boards report high I have heard that they are reporting 10c too much I know you should be getting around 38-40c under load. I was getting 43c at 1.6 (vcore 1.85) but with a papst fan. don't have any experence with your chipset but you could try a different multiplier you should be safe with 11x. The KT266a board are more that likely going to support the t-bred when it does come out it will drive the price of xp's down so you will get more for your money with an xp.

ya, but i seriously need to get a better case and a better psu for this as well. its all just too much damn money :mad: . allwell, i suppose that is part of being in this hiobby :eh?:

as for going to a mutli of 11, without being able to get the chip unlocked, i have to use the jumpers to get it there, but when i do that, i have to set the fsb by jumper as well and using jumpers, i can only set it to 133, which only gives me an extra 63 mhz total

Back