• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.74GHZ Tualatin vs. 1.4 AMD TBird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it's just a file server I'm sure you won't notice any speed difference. You could probably run a Celeron-500 and it would be fine (unless you're running RAID 5 XOR on the CPU).

The Tualeron will probably also run a little cooler, and therefor quieter.

I'd just stick with the Tualatin also. You've got ample horsepower and I think the Tualatin core P3 family is much more cool-running and stable than the TBird. I run a Tualatin 1.0GHz, oc'ed to 1.33GHz as my fileserver, running SuSE Linux and it's solid as a rock, and quite a snappy performer too. It was up for over 300 days before a thunderstorm took down the power lines and my UPS battery ran down :)

300 days good deal. Yeah stick with the Tualatin also. There is no sense in having to install o new os from a cpu swap that u wont c any differnce in make the tbirb a folder or something or maybe just an extra comp?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

I would stick with the tualatin. This is a p3 based one right? If so it and the AMD both have 10 stage pipelines, so except for things like branch predictors and cache, there is really not that much of a difference between the 2 in terms of performance/clock speed.

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Thanks for the welcome @md0Cer, but I joined before you did. :D I just don't post allot.

I forgot to mention that my server is also a downloading machine and it's used for uncompressing large files and as a last resort a gaming machine for LAN parties. I was leaning toward the TBird as it has a highermemory bandwidth and onboard RAID.

RAID isn't needed for a file server unless if you REALLY need power.

The Tualatin will be better all around than a Tbird. I have never seen a Tualatin clocked that high before. Nice OC.

So stick with the Tualatin.

Yendor said:
Thanks for the welcome @md0Cer, but I joined before you did. :D I just don't post allot.

:eek: Sorry, I judged you from your New Member rank, so how about I modify that a lil "WELCOME BACK TO OCFORUMS!"

As for the Raid, that could be beneficial, but the 1.74Ghz is probably more beneficial. I still say go for the 1.74Ghz Tualatin.

If you are lucky, you can get the KK266 with a 1600+ AGOIA chip up to a 155 FSB (1850Mhz). But you take a chance because the KK266 was never designed to run with anything other than T-Birds. I think you have a 75% chance. I have two that work.

I think it would be interesting to compare each of them in 3dmark2001 to see if the higher CPU speed or the higher memory bandwidth prevails.

I have a tuallie like yours in a CUSL2, but mine is a 1000 running at 1450. I can get 7750 3dmarks with a Radeon 8500.

I'm surprised. I can get over 8500 points with my 8500, and that's on a P4 willy, 1.5ghz. I'd think that Athlon would be better.

Back