• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Building a New Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snakenobi

Registered
I am building a new computer,please help me build it.

I normally only learn about computer hardware when i am buying or upgrading the hardware and then i lose track.So i might not know a few things though i have mentioned all my queries below.

I am trying to build a system that would last and as interconnected and wireless as possible.

I will be using it for :

Video Games
Video Editing
Audio Editing
Image Editing
Display forPC,TV,PS3
Heaphones for TV,PC,PS3,Phone(if Headphone are bluetooth)
Router for 2 home PC,1 phone,Media Server,PS3,TV(if Display is internet connected)
Dual Shock 3 Connection
Virtual OS operations
Hackintosh(So only Intel processors)
DLNA - Media Server,Android devices,Apple devices
Wireless File and Date Transfer to PC - Android with bluetooth to PC

Products and Technology :

CPUProcessor - 4-6 Cores,Overclock Support
Motherboard - PCE-E,USB,SATA,Ethernet,DVI,HDMI 1.4,Display Port,Wi-Fi,Bluetooth,Optical Audio,Integrated Card Support,Overclock Support,multi-GPU support
GPUGraphic Card - Memory,Multiple Display Support,3D Displays,Dual GPU,Resolution 1080p or better
HDD - 2 -3.5tb
RAM - 8+gb
Display - 24 -27inch,Resolution 1080p or more,Contrasts,Colors,DVI,Display Ports,HDMI,Wi-fi,USB,Bluetooth,Speakers,Headphones
Speakers - More Channels,Wireless Streaming
Headphones - Noise Cancellation,Microphone,Blue-tooth,Wireless,More Channels,Bluetooth,Battery Life
Router - Gigabit Ethernet,Wireless standard N.Good Wireless bandwidth,NAS,DLNA
Heatsinks and Coolers
Power Supply

Some Question's from my side :

CPU :

Xeon gaming and normal apps - How is Xeon on Gaming and Normal PC applications?
i7 Extreme Sandy Bridge - Is this required for my usage and will it be worth it?
Core i7 First Gen Core systems - So Sandy Bridge Extreme Processors are very expensive but 970 and 980 6 core Westmere CPU's cost only $500.Is that a bargain and Is buying 1 year old processors good?

i7 2600K - Will this be enought for me?
i5 2500K - Will this be enought for me?

Core vs thread - so AMD vs Intel,AMD provides more Cores but Intel does threading.Whats the difference?
Duration Without Update - How long each of them will be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?

Motherboard :

Sound Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of it
Wi-Fi Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of it
Blue-tooth Card - Is it Required or Motherboard will take care of it
SATA 3 and PCI-E 3
Duration Without Update - How long will this be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?

RAM :

Channels - How many channels is good?
Speed - Whats the difference between different 'mhz'?
Duratin Without Update - How long will this be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?

GPU:

Cores - I read this when checking out Nvidia Cards,they have 100's of cores.What do they mean?
Speed - How much is good as in 'hz'?
Bandwidth - How much bandwidth is good?
Duration Without Update - How long will latest GPU's be enough to perform the heavy task applications,2-3 years?

Display:

What Aspect ratio should the Display have as WEB is designed 4:3 and many movies have 21:9 ratio.
Do the multidisplays connection to GPU share resolution in output of do they have 2 x resolutions coming out of GPU?

Heatsinks and Coolers:

Are liquid Coolers really required?
Fans vs Liquid Coolers?
Are heatsinks required?
What all components can and should have heatsinks and cooler?I see them on RAM these days

Wireless :

Wireless Headphones,Keyboard,Mouse,Router - What does range in 'HZ' mean
Will different wireless technologies interfere with each other?

Speakers and Headphones - Standard - What do different Standards like dolby,true HD differ?
Power Supply - How Many Watts Should my Power Supply be and what all Sockets Should it have?
Keyboard - Do i need to my two keyboards? Ergonomic keyboards for typing and SonyApple Wireless keyboard or just one?
Mouse - Do i need to my two mouse? Ergonomic mouse for gaming and MicrosoftApple touch mouse or just one?
Optical Drive - Should I buy a Blu-ray Drive?
Webcam - I Don't Video Chat much and have iphone as a video chat,should it buy one?
Printer - I make alot of notes and i like them clean and formatted but should i go far to buy a printer on do it on paper and phone
Tablet or netbook or ultrabook - I have an iphone 64gb and will have a good PC.Is there a need for medium screen portable device?

Please Help in the following way:

Technology - As in what all tech is needed to make it possible like technical information like cores,wi-fi,pci express,aspect ratio,memory,etc

Products - Products on the market that will make it all possible like Intel,Nvidia,Evga,Asus,Apple,Cisco,etc and their different product lineup's.

Suggestions - Suggest what configurations will be good for my usage like xeon,core i extreme,core i7,12gb ram,etc

Xeons are made for servers, they're not the ticket for a processor, in a single cpu board. You'd be paying extra for something you wouldn't use.

The single cpu I recommend for overall everything intense computation, is the i7 2600k. It's relatively inexpensive, more efficient, and runs cooler with less power needed, than any i7 1366 socket cpu, at the same speed. It overclocks like a dream! My i7 940 can't keep up, and won't clock as high, as my 2600k, even using a lot more power.

No matter what else you may hear, electronics that run cool, tend to last substantially longer, than those that create a lot of heat (or in a case that has a lot of heat held inside it). This is even true for HD's, fans, etc.

You don't need the latest and fastest cpu on the market, because a 2600k overclocked gently to 4.0GHz (easily reached), will not be a bottleneck on your system. Instead, invest in an SSD, and use it for fast storage - because HD's are a big bottleneck in system throughput. You'll need an aftermarket heatsink & fan for the cpu, when you overclock it. The hyper 212 has become a popular and inexpensive heatsint & fan combo.

Use wireless ONLY where it's important. There's a huge amount of work needed to handle wireless, and it will NEVER begin to match the speed and efficiency of wired communication.

When GPU makers say they have 100's of cores, these are just simple shaders. Used in parallel (as they are), and in large numbers, they amount to a very formidable amount of processing power.

The way to go with buying GPU cards, is buy a good ONE - not two, at first. Then, next year, if you feel the need, buy another ONE, matching the first one, (but now substantially cheaper). Make sure both boards have plenty of cool air available to them. Cramming them in side by side, can leave one of them with very little cool air - and you know what happens to electronics when they have to run hotter, right? :eek:

I wouldn't bother with wireless keyboards - for gaming, the lag is excessive. For everything else, I don't see the advantage. Do you use your PC's keyboard while walking around? No. Headphones - maybe. Keyboard - no.

Most of your questions can't be answered without a post worthy of an encyclopedia, and this is a forum for messages - not reference encyclopedias. For instance monitors. I can tell you I love what LG has done for their LCD monitors - far better than my old Samsung LCD monitor. Whether an LCD monitor is right for you in your room, I have no idea. What's the ambient light in your room? What's the angle of viewing you will need? What size do you want? What is your budget? How far will you be sitting from the monitor?

If you read through the other posts where members are making decisions for their needs, it may help you to clarify what your needs are, and what you can expect to pay for it.

The single cpu I recommend for overall everything intense computation, is the i7 2600k. It's relatively inexpensive, more efficient, and runs cooler with less power needed, than any i7 1366 socket cpu, at the same speed. It overclocks like a dream! My i7 940 can't keep up, and won't clock as high, as my 2600k, even using a lot more power.

You don't need the latest and fastest cpu on the market, because a 2600k overclocked gently to 4.0GHz (easily reached), will not be a bottleneck on your system. Instead, invest in an SSD, and use it for fast storage - because HD's are a big bottleneck in system throughput. You'll need an aftermarket heatsink & fan for the cpu, when you overclock it. The hyper 212 has become a popular and inexpensive heatsint & fan combo.

Use wireless ONLY where it's important. There's a huge amount of work needed to handle wireless, and it will NEVER begin to match the speed and efficiency of wired communication.

When GPU makers say they have 100's of cores, these are just simple shaders. Used in parallel (as they are), and in large numbers, they amount to a very formidable amount of processing power.

The way to go with buying GPU cards, is buy a good ONE - not two, at first. Then, next year, if you feel the need, buy another ONE, matching the first one, (but now substantially cheaper). Make sure both boards have plenty of cool air available to them. Cramming them in side by side, can leave one of them with very little cool air - and you know what happens to electronics when they have to run hotter, right? :eek:

I wouldn't bother with wireless keyboards - for gaming, the lag is excessive. For everything else, I don't see the advantage. Do you use your PC's keyboard while walking around? No. Headphones - maybe. Keyboard - no.

Most of your questions can't be answered without a post worthy of an encyclopedia, and this is a forum for messages - not reference encyclopedias. For instance monitors. I can tell you I love what LG has done for their LCD monitors - far better than my old Samsung LCD monitor. Whether an LCD monitor is right for you in your room, I have no idea. What's the ambient light in your room? What's the angle of viewing you will need? What size do you want? What is your budget? How far will you be sitting from the monitor?

If you read through the other posts where members are making decisions for their needs, it may help you to clarify what your needs are, and what you can expect to pay for it.

my budget is enough,i live in india where prices vary thats why i didn't mention the budget

don't tell me the which lcd to buy as it may not be available in india

you can tell me about other things like motherboards,gpu from which company

remember i want to do video editing,it should be done smoothly,that why i asked for xeon's and extreme processors

also which gpu has better acceleration in video editing apps

as for keyboards,i am thing of buying 2,one for typing and gaming.if you have seen the ergonomic ones that microsoft puts out and another wireless as i will also use the screen as my room tv for watching media which can be like sony and apple wireless keyboards

as for display.i have good lighting conditions,they are just tubelights.

though i was wanting to know more about IPS vs TN and back LED vs EDGE LED.and whats tft?

I don't want anything specific in displays but it should work in all conditions and i am also heavily favouring in LG Displays.they are just awesome with IPS tech

I can't help you with the video editing aspect - no experience there. There are benchmarks for all the cpu's on the net, with the popular benchmark software suite of programs. One of them is related to video encoding iirc (Cinebench?). Google cpu benchmarks and you'll find a complete listing.

A larger cpu cache (all levels of it, put together), is what you want to ease the load on video editing - whether that makes the edit "smooth" or not, is really up to the software, and the timer that the software is relying on, to make that smooth edit. You do NOT want a board with a multimedia timer - you want a mobo with the newer (and much more accurate), Intel high performance timer. You may need to turn on this timer, in the BIOS.

Plasma monitors look brighter in well lit area's (they have more levels of contrast). I have heard, but can't confirm, that plasma monitors get dimmer over time. LCD monitors use a lot less power, but have a smaller acceptable angle for viewing. I find my newer LG LCD monitor, to be the best combination for me. You need to actually view them and compare them yourself, to pick the best one.

For a GPU, NVidia cards are much faster for floating point operations, but ATi/Radeon cards are much faster for integer operations. I would go to the website of the software program you intend to use, and inquire there, what card or cards, they recommend. Nothing better than getting the recommendation directly.

There are video editing/processing/shooting forums, which might also have valuable info for you. I know the newsgroups had a great forum for this, with some professional videographers regularly participating. Been a few years since I've been there, but it was a great resource, back then.

I could suggest you a system that'd meet all your requirements for $2000 USD or for $10000 USD. Either way

2600K or 3930K
ASUS Motheboard (typically has built in bluetooth) (2600K, you want an LGA1155 motherboard, 3930K needs a LGA2011 motherboard)
NVIDIA GPU - Better for photo/video editing and much better 3D support
Monitor - LG or Dell IPS display
RAM - 16GB, 1600Mhz, CAS9 latency, whatever's cheapest with those specs

Wifi is a seperate card.

Don't worry about GPU specs, it's really only the model number that matters.

Get a Bluray drive if you want to watch Bluray movies.

PSU - Single video card, don't need more than 600W. Two video cards means you need between 750 and 850W, depending on the card

RAM Channels depend on the CPU and motherboard you pick. Either way, you want four sticks.

Cooling - Depends on what CPU and if/how far you want to overclock.

Keyboard/mouse - I'd just go with one.

Speakers/headphones/sound card - Only need a sound card if you have a really nice pair of headphones. If you want speakers, good speakers cost lots and lots of money. You could spend as much on speakers as you do on everything else.

I don't want anything specific in displays but it should work in all conditions and i am also heavily favouring in LG Displays.they are just awesome with IPS tech

I agree that IPS or PVA should be what you should look at over TN when it comes to displays but many other companies also make very good IPS displays and you should also look at others. Asus, NEC, and so forth. Dell actually makes some very good IPS displays. It is difficult to recommend parts without a budget and I don't think it'll be as easy. We understand what kind of screen size and connectivity you want, that you want to play games, want a fast cpu, wireless headphones, and so forth. Prices vary everywhere though if you could give us a ballpark and the exchange rate to US $ it might help? I've never been to India and have little knowledge of the market for computer parts there but this is what we usually do.

I agree that IPS or PVA should be what you should look at over TN when it comes to displays but many other companies also make very good IPS displays and you should also look at others. Asus, NEC, and so forth. Dell actually makes some very good IPS displays. It is difficult to recommend parts without a budget and I don't think it'll be as easy. We understand what kind of screen size and connectivity you want, that you want to play games, want a fast cpu, wireless headphones, and so forth. Prices vary everywhere though if you could give us a ballpark and the exchange rate to US $ it might help? I've never been to India and have little knowledge of the market for computer parts there but this is what we usually do.

$3000-4000

CPU: 3930K
Cooler: H100
Motherboard: EVGA X79 SLI or ASRock X79 Extreme7
RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
PSU: Corsair 850AX
GPU: NVIDIA GTX580
SSD: 120GB Vertex 3
HDD: Hitachi, Seagate, Samsung, or Western Digital, as much space as you need
Optical Drive: Whatever's cheap. Bluray combo drive if you want to watch blurays
Case: Mostly personal choice
Keyboard/Mouse: I like Razer's stuff, a little expensive but I've gotten quality
Headset: I think Sennhiser makes a nice Bluetooth set

USB Wifi and Bluetooth adapters work fine :).

Back