• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 loop or 2.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Gotts,

I wouldn't be scared at all of that XSPC dual pump bay res. They make some good quality stuff and if I was building a dual loop system that is the exact one I would use myself.

@4GHZ_or_bust,

That res thing you are about to add to your loop; according to the link you provided it has aluminum in contact with your cooling fluid, right? If so, you better add some antifreeze to your loop or Mr. Electrolysis will rear his ugly head up and bite your components.

i've heard of bay res's cracking back when i started but i've not heard it about the XSPC ones. they seem to be great quality and i would feel safe with one in my setup. i think i've heard of one cracking, but it sounded more like a user error.

Wow....fittings REALLY add up! Just placed my main order....about to vomit.
Now I wait.

Hah! The bends have passed.
I'll save the bucket for when I full my loops and they spray all over the place like sprinklers!

Packages have arrived, although it will be a wee bit before I get a chance to install it all. Decided to go for two loops, CPU running off a Thermochill PA120.3 / Apogee XT and the GPU being handled by a Swiftech MCR220 / EK Full body block. Both rads will be cooled by Gentle Typhoon 1450s (decided against the Yate Loons since both rads will be horizontal). Went with the Dual Bay, Dual Pump XSPC res and 2 355 pumps.

One thing that was apparent was the build quality of the Thermochill compared to the Swiftech. That PA120.3 just feels like a beast.

the only thing i don't like about my swiftech's is they are thin. but if they were thicker it would cost more :)

also the paint on one of my 3 rads seems to chip off easy.

For fear of cracking the reservoir, what size screw can someone suggest to use to attach my 355's to the dual bay/dual pump XSPC res?

Thanks for the update gotts, looks like your on your way. Taking pics is easy, just take lots, and we expect lots. Writing an article for your build is pretty easy if you want to take that on for the better good of OC Forums.

Hrm, I didn't see any other than the screws for the faceplate. I'll have to double check when I get home from work. If not, I'll see if Gary from Sidewinder can throw some in with my next shipment.

Con, I definitely will keep things logged and photographed. I still have time in collecting all my parts and really won't start going all out until I have everything in front of me.

On a side note.....I understand that shrouds are better than no shroud. I guess it would be suggested I get one for each rad on my next order? (using GT 1450s on the rads).

Shrouds 'can' reduce noise and increase rad cooling ability. Depends if you need it or not. Martin did some tests, I'm sure you have his old website bookmarked by now. It decreases noise by letting the airflow straighten out and flow smoother through the rad. It also reduces the dead spot behind the fan motor IF close to the rad smaller, using more of the rad surface. Some rads have a deeper open spot on one side of the rad, giving a built in shroud.

So. Summary 1.0, yes they help in two ways. Are they worth it? In massive big budget rigs where you got a HUGE case like a Mountain Mods case, sure why not?

For the normal user, not much. Not all rads have a custom shroud made to fit exactly. I know the PA rads do, I got one. I don't need it but the shroud was bought because I wanted one. Does it help? Yes. How much? Ohh so little. I got one awesome PA 120.3 on one i7 at stock speeds. Since I'm sooo far from heatload saturation on my current cooling setup, it does nothing for me at all. My PSU fan is the loudest beast in my PC.

So, in summary 2.0, don't bother.

So I finally thought I had all I needed [yes, been ordering in drips and drabs] to finally start plugging away at my water cooling loops. I went to install my XSPC dual bay reservoir and the cutouts in the middle [of the sides] of the res weren't big enough to accommodate to metal ledges from the case. I took out the dremel and got the ledges down and the res....fit in with some elbow grease. A little more than I was comfortable with. then upon fastening up and putting the face plate on, the res is crooked! I tested my dvd writers and fan controller in the same spots and they are all flush with one another, so I think the res is faulty and am currently trying to RMA it [but might not have success since I am passed the 30 day return, unless it truly is a faulty product].

So I have been rethinking things a bit and possibly scrapping the bay res altogether.

I really like the way the iandh cylinders looks, but most likely will not be able to fit two, where I want to in my case. So that has me thinking...what if I ran one large loop with that res and a XSPC dual top for my pumps [along with my 2 rads]?

OR

Staying with the two loop idea and either mounting two XSPC Acrylic Res tops or two smaller EK 100 cylinders on UN brackets, which I would be able to stack vertically in my case.

1. Option one I'd just need the IandH Cylinder res and the dual pump acrylic top.
2a. Option 2 with the acrylic res tops, I'd need the tops and brackets.
2b. Option 2 with the EK cylinders, I'd need the cylinders, single acrylic tops and

I've seen, what seems to be, quite a few pics of option 1 on systems that have way more hardware than I do [then again, no idea what kind of OCing they are doing, or not doing].

I know much of how things are setup are personal preference and what one is trying to accomplish, but I just need a nudge or sorts. Some feedback on what the more experienced would go with if they were in my shoes atm. I am only looking for a moderate overclock atm [although sure I will push a bit more once I get my hands dirty in it] and would most likely add a second 5870 down the road.

Thanks guys.

J

option 1 gets my vote.

if you get a dual pump top with pumps you will be able to basically cool all that you want (cpu, gpu's, motherboard + a bunch of rads)

most of the time 1 pump is enough for everything but 2 is definitely enough no question.

Thanks guys for the push in the right direction. Ordering the pieces and cable sleeving while I wait.:shock:

For fear of cracking the reservoir, what size screw can someone suggest to use to attach my 355's to the dual bay/dual pump XSPC res?

In case anyone else runs into this issue....I used 8-32 x 1.25" machine screws.

Things have been progressing, slowly! I am just waiting on my reservoir to finalize things. I will make a post over in the case section when done with all the pics I have taken along the way.

Currently have the bottom of the 800d cut and MCR 220 installed, the PA120.3 installed with a bitspower rad guard [word of caution!! tap your rad with M4 tap if you are installing this guard!! Tapping with 6-32 and having to open all the holes wider, then install is no fun....especially when doing it solo]. It would have definitely been easier to install in a push config, but I went for the pull.

I soldered all rad fans to one cable and sleeved them. Also installed a Danger den fill port on the top front of the case. Last bit of 'case drilling' I will have to do will be for the reservoir and the UN Bracket for the pumps to sit on.

Once that's done, I can start to move things over into the case [I actually might do that today or tomorrow b/c I am just sick of looking at everything on the desk atm].

Hopefully my res will be here SOONER than later and I can get my pics up.

Do I need to be concerned with the weight of my 5870 with a EK waterblock on it? I recall reading a post and the guy had to put a "support" under the card b/c it was sagging while in the PCI-E slot.

Last edited:
Back