• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080 vs 3 monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What kind of resolution is that? I divide 3440 by 3 and do not get a whole number, lol!

It will handle 5760x1080. Now, 7680x1440 (3 2560x1440 monitors), you will absolutely have to turn down settings on many titles and run without AA. There are more pixels there than with 4K UHD amd the 1080 is barely a 4K card..

This is assuming you are gaming. If you just want a picture on three screens, it will do that.

Yeah, the question was referring to 3 x 3440 x 1440 monitors. That's the resolution of the predator x34.

So my next question would be, would 2 1080s sli be enough to run newer Games at around 60 fps decently?

So then the resolution you are talking is 10320x1440, FYI.

2 should be OK, yeah. Not great at all. That is ~75% more pixels than 4K...

That said, I am not sure I would go that route honestly. That resolution is odd and not many games support it (without distorting the image). Then add two more monitors and that odd resolution and things get even worse. If I was you, I would look into 2560x1440 monitors. The resolution is common at least. I would still rock 2 1080's at 7680x1440.

Thanks for the help.
I was asking because I seen a video comparing x34 and z35 [I currently have 1 z35] and Ive been trying to figure out what way to go. The 3 z35 set up makes more sense when you explain it that way.

The resolution would then be 7680x1440 which still sounds bad *** :)

If you are planning on running 2 of them in surround, you have one other potential issue...game menus.

With 2 monitors in surround, you end up with the bezel split right in the center of the screen. Games with centered menus that don't let you move them are really a pain to read.

Also, I first tried to monitors in surround...it was cool...but constantly looking at the bezel split in the center of my vision got to me.

That being said, I ran 3 1920x1080 in surround on a single 1080 and had very good frame rates in The Witcher 3 (with everything on Ultra and NVIDIA hair works turned on).

My bad...didn't follow my pronouns properly!

I think I need more coffee!

Yeah the plan is 3, monitors.
Im only using 1 1080 for now because I'm waiting for the 1080ti.
That's when I'll do sli for it. And since 1 or 2 regular 1080s woo do it, I have no doubt the ti will :)

I was hoping I made the right choice going with the z35 and it sounds like I did :)

I don't think there is going to be a 1080 Ti. I think the current Titan X Pascal is the 1080 Ti.

Just my opinion though.

I think there will be.
Titan X is stupid expensive,
And they did the same thing last flagship.
If it's not out by the end of q1 2017 then I'll just snag a second 1080.

Titan x is 1300 a pop, and are power hungry monsters lol

So I guess I can only hope.

There will be a 1080ti. When it's released will be the question. I'm guessing by the time vega comes out. :)

I looked up the vega, sounds like it could be a pretty intense card. Pricey for amd though lol

Anywho that sounds about right, nvidia waiting to make sure they can match it or do better than it.

I have a PNY Geforce GTX 1080 XLR8 card (Just got it last week). I am running triple monitors, but I can only run 2 on surround. All 3 of my monitors are Samsung 24", (2 are the exact same model, and the other has audio). I cannot get all 3 to sync up to run surround. I have tried everything? Any other suggestions? Monitor setup.PNG
Nvidia screen.PNG

sb43, what type of cables are you using & what are you connecting to the monitors? Looks like you are using the DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort on the video card. Are you using any adapters?

I have 3 DVI-D monitors, one is connected to DVI, one is connected to DisplayPort using a passive adapter, one is connected to DisplayPort using an active adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2DVIS-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter/dp/B004SUO1GM

1 is HDMI to DVI, 1 is HDMI to HDMI, and 1 is HDMI to display Port. I'm thinking I should have all (HDMI to Display Port cables). ( I see you're an animal lover too! lol. That's my Baby boy in my pic) He's no baby now though. at a year and a half, he's 125 lbs now! lol. Sorry got off topic.

Edit: I just bought 2 more HDMI to Display Port Cables from Newegg. I'll try anything!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that purchase will help you out!

NVidia hasn't done a good job of explaining what's required for Surround, but AMD/ATI has explained their requirements very well. If you aren't running DisplayPort monitors you must have one active adapter. I did a quick DP to HDMI search & didn't see Active & Passive. You might need an Active DisplayPort to DVI & a DVI to HDMI for one monitor.

Back