• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v fan at 7v, rear exhaust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't believe there are any harmful effects from underclocking the fan. If anything its lifespan should be increased, because it is doing less work than it is spec'ed for.

My only problem with the 7v mod is that if you need to increase your fan speed for certain circumstances, you are screwed. thats why I like the electrical and mechanical means of controlling fans.

Buy an automotive rheostat. They are dirt cheap if you get them used.

I am using a Toyota Tercel 1993 interior light dimmer switch. Cheap and effective. I originally used only one to control 2 X 120mm 7.8 Watt fans plus 2 X 92mm 6.24 Watt fans and a delta 80mm CPU fan. That adds up to over 30 Watts. The cost of the dimmer to me was 10 canadian.

It is really simple to set up and works extremely well.

chrismacan said:
Buy an automotive rheostat. They are dirt cheap if you get them used.

I am using a Toyota Tercel 1993 interior light dimmer switch. Cheap and effective. I originally used only one to control 2 X 120mm 7.8 Watt fans plus 2 X 92mm 6.24 Watt fans and a delta 80mm CPU fan. That adds up to over 30 Watts. The cost of the dimmer to me was 10 canadian.

It is really simple to set up and works extremely well.
Quick question. How big are they? Some auto switches end up being huge.

This one is small enough to fit behind a 5.25 in drive bay and not obstruct the other bays.

The actual size measures 1.375 in wide by 2.75 in long.

They get pretty warm when you run the fans at low speed. Not as hot when they run faster.

I drilled a hole in the middle of a bay cover and attached it between two cd drives. Just enough clearance to fit.

Back