• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1500 gaming rig, suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Hi guys

My gf's nefew has asked me to build him a pc with the purpose of gaming battlefield and streaming from twitch.tv simultaneously. It has to run as smooth as possible in 1920x1080p.

I've been away from the scene for a while so I'm not really sure what hardware to suggest.

What would you guys propose for this purpose?

He has no interest or experience in oc, so that's not a nessisary property for the hardware.

Monitor and other external perifials, he already has.

Thanks in advance :)

/cown

Boy that was quick ^^

Thanks guys. One question though. Is the 550w sufficient?

Everything look nice , however i want to suggest another case and a different PSU for future upgrade
Corsair Carbide Series 300R with window
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbi...ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406750575&sr=1-5

Corsair RM Series 750w PSU
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLU...f=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406750734&sr=1-16

Yep, I just put in a decent case, that's something the user should choose due to aesthetics.

For the PSU, if you want a bigger one get an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W or 850W (This would be for dual GPU purposes later in life)
Much better quality than the one ASUS ROG linked, as well as a longer warranty and lower price tag.

I would still stick with Corsair for their outstanding product, service and support
EVGA, i don't know, they're maybe king of the video card but they're new to the PSU game and i haven't read enough good review on EVGA PSU yet.

I would still stick with Corsair for their outstanding product, service and support
EVGA, i don't know, they're maybe king of the video card but they're new to the PSU game and i haven't read enough good review on EVGA PSU yet.

Because EVGA isn't known to have stellar customer support or anything :confused::confused:

Also, the EVGA SuperNova G2 series absolutely smeared the RM series (and everything else in the 750W-1300W range) on JonnyGuru.

Edit: EVGA SuperNova G2 850W Review
Corsair RM850 Review

Thanks guys. These are great guidelines to work from :) I'll give a heads up to what I'll go with.

Thanks again

Thanks guys. These are great guidelines to work from :) I'll give a heads up to what I'll go with.

Thanks again

You're welcome!
If you need any other advice we'll be glad to help :)

atm do you just have that rig saved as a jpg, I must say it is a rockin setup, just can't go wrong!!!!

atm do you just have that rig saved as a jpg, I must say it is a rockin setup, just can't go wrong!!!!

PCPartPicker lets you save rigs! :thup:

I just swap a couple of components to tailor it to an individual's usage/budget and start droppin' links!!

Great list like always! Just one thing on that
4960k is obviously the "staple" gaming CPU... but

He has no interest or experience in oc, so that's not a nessisary property for the hardware.

Is it needed?

For streaming BF4 on 1080p, this may be a time to upgrade the ram. 12gb would give some good overhead and keep frame rates stable on a stream. No... streaming doesn't take much RAM, but... BF4 ultra + windows services + browser + twitch + video capture + streaming software + music player +.... things get claustrophobic pretty fast.

Final note, on the Extreme6, is the NIC pretty high quality? I imagine it would be on a board of that caliber, but that needs to be decent as well.

Great list like always! Just one thing on that
4960k is obviously the "staple" gaming CPU... but

Is it needed?

For streaming BF4 on 1080p, this may be a time to upgrade the ram. 12gb would give some good overhead and keep frame rates stable on a stream. No... streaming doesn't take much RAM, but... BF4 ultra + windows services + browser + twitch + video capture + streaming software + music player +.... things get claustrophobic pretty fast.

Final note, on the Extreme6, is the NIC pretty high quality? I imagine it would be on a board of that caliber, but that needs to be decent as well.

Simply picking the fastest i5.
It's easily within budget, and dropping to a slower i5 wouldn't net a better GPU.

Why 12GB? That's the most random combination in this generation of parts...
Find out 8GB isn't enough? Grab the same set again and have 4x4GB. Piece of cake.

Yes, BOTH of the NICs on the Extreme6 are high quality.

12GB? 16GB I think would be best so it all runs in dual channel.

8+4=12 (4x4 + 2x2) haha. But yes, I would agree, cost wise, doesn't make much sense to get just 12.

This would be my suggestion, piggy backing off atm's build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XDmbTW

"bob that board isn't as good as the extreme6".. no, no its not. However, the killer board comes with streaming specific features, a high quality sound codec, and 3 free months of streaming software. Its also a little bit cheaper, and lets the 16gb of ram get balanced out.

Yes, BOTH of the NICs on the Extreme6 are high quality.

:shock:

Ill be damned.

Simply picking the fastest i5.
It's easily within budget, and dropping to a slower i5 wouldn't net a better GPU.

Why 12GB? That's the most random combination in this generation of parts...
Find out 8GB isn't enough? Grab the same set again and have 4x4GB. Piece of cake.

Yeah, but if he's not ever going to overclock, 15$ is 15$ *shrug*. Also lets him get a gaming motherboard instead of an overclocking board. The fatal1ty boards do have some cool stuff for streaming.

As far as 12gb, I don't know if there is some obscure gnome in the corner of the internet selling 12gb kits lol. Its not really that uncommon though, people with 2x2 buying 2x4 and adding it on top. As long as its same voltage, CASL, and brand, would it be an issue? Especially without overclocking, I can't see it ever being a problem. But, the price concern is there. Doing that only saves you like 10$, so it just makes sense to get a 16gb "kit"

8+4=12 (4x4 + 2x2) haha. But yes, I would agree, cost wise, doesn't make much sense to get just 12.

This would be my suggestion, piggy backing off atm's build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XDmbTW

"bob that board isn't as good as the extreme6".. no, no its not. However, the killer board comes with streaming specific features, a high quality sound codec, and 3 free months of streaming software. Its also a little bit cheaper, and lets the 16gb of ram get balanced out.

"specific streaming features"...... you mean an Ethernet port?

The Extreme6 has a better sound section................

Back