• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1500 gaming rig, suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm more worried about quality on those two parts.

Cheap AIOs are meh at best. I know the H60 gets beaten by even the 212 EVO.
Not to mention that they're louder than comparable air coolers and have more parts to fail.
IMO: don't go AIO unless you're going for the best.

FSP isn't known to have the best PSUs. They work, but I would be much more comfortable with a known good unit.

You won't sell the 760s for enough to cover one 780.

Okay, thanks again :)

Uh oh, just realized something here...

Was that "1500$" including VAT and shipping?

For 900$... That would probably be an ok option. Sell the PSU (30$), sell the GPU's (320-400$), sell the SSD (65$), brings the cost to around 455.

EVGA GTX 780 is 464$, so around 600$ shipped.

1055$

Seasonic M12ii 620w for 79$, so around 110$ shipped.

1160$

That 120gb ssd would be fine, just is a tad small. With the size of games and windows growing at a seemingly exponential rate, I would personally upgrade to a 250gb+ version.

so lets say 175$ for a quality ~250gb SSD shipped

and 2 more sticks of that ram for around 100$ shipped.

Brings you at 1435$.

Another option would be to keep that SSD, and trash that cpu cooler, but if your nephew isn't overclocking, that should be fine for the interim. I would still upgrade out of that, if nothing else than for peace of mind.

Uh oh, just realized something here...

Was that "1500$" including VAT and shipping?

For 900$... That would probably be an ok option. Sell the PSU (30$), sell the GPU's (320-400$), sell the SSD (65$), brings the cost to around 455.

EVGA GTX 780 is 464$, so around 600$ shipped.

1055$

Seasonic M12ii 620w for 79$, so around 110$ shipped.

1160$

That 120gb ssd would be fine, just is a tad small. With the size of games and windows growing at a seemingly exponential rate, I would personally upgrade to a 250gb+ version.

so lets say 175$ for a quality ~250gb SSD shipped

and 2 more sticks of that ram for around 100$ shipped.

Brings you at 1435$.

Another option would be to keep that SSD, and trash that cpu cooler, but if your nephew isn't overclocking, that should be fine for the interim. I would still upgrade out of that, if nothing else than for peace of mind.

Exactly what I was thinking :)

Prices are a little steeper here, so the budget goes up by about 500$, for the parts mentioned in the partpicker. Should have probably mentioned it, but I didn't realize it until I got the different builds suggested.

So the dude with the finished PC never got back to me and I've instead come up with the following setup:

AMD FX-8320 Black Edition CPU
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MOBO
HyperX Fury 16 Gb Black Series RAM
XFX Radeon R9 280X 3 Gb Black GFX
Samsung 840 EVO 250 Gb SSD
Corsair CX 750M 750W PSU
Cooler Master HAF 912 Adv. tower

What do you guys think?

Most of us here make suggestions based on price to performance comparison. In order to do this, we'd need to know where you are buying from (since it isn't the US etailers) so we can look at their prices.

You can essentially disregard everything so far since your prices are going to be vastly different from those upon which everyone's suggestions have been based (probably should have mentioned n your first post, BTW, that you were buying outside the US to save us all some time...)

Most of us here make suggestions based on price to performance comparison. In order to do this, we'd need to know where you are buying from (since it isn't the US etailers) so we can look at their prices.

You can essentially disregard everything so far since your prices are going to be vastly different from those upon which everyone's suggestions have been based (probably should have mentioned n your first post, BTW, that you were buying outside the US to save us all some time...)

Well my location isn't hidden in any way, making it clear for anyone to see where I'm from, if one would care to look, but yeah, I forgot to mention it in the OP.

I haven't disregarded anything, I've actually been able to use it to narrow down what to get, besides you haven't posted anything in this thread, so I don't see how any of your time has been wasted, other than time wasted on this offtopic post you've made...

1) Wasted my time reading the 40 posts in this thread (most of which were, albeit, pointless anyway). Others wasted their time posting suggestions that were not applicable to you.

2) Your sig and info aren't visible on the mobile version of the site or the app.

3) You could have moved. You could have put in false info. You could be temporarily relocated. You could be posting for a friend (or your gf's nephew). We aren't mind readers, so it's best to be explicit.

So....where are you buying from?

Back