• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time water cooling need help 2/ parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

Hello guys, Finally i've decided to register and ask for some valuable advice on my 1st water cooling setup after reading through this forum for more than a month...

So here it goes, i'm buying this used parts for 90 bucks shipped

Swiftech 5.25" bay reservoir + pump

2 Danger Den Black IcE Pro 1x120 radiators (one x-flow, one normal) 3/8" nozzles
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=3&cat=84&page=1
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=192&cat=84&page=1

Swiftech apogee gt cpu block with backplate for 775, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 nozzles http://www.swiftnets.com/products/APOGEEGT.asp

Now i was planning on using this setup in a Thermaltake Xaser VI so i'm guessing its big enough for both of the radiators. I was wondering if this setup would cool my cpu's better than the top of the line air coolers? i was also thinking about buying the new Coolermaster V8 that just came out or the True 120 Extreme if this system was not worth the 100 bucks.

I was also thinking am i able to combine this radiators and make them a 2x120? if so, will the pump be able to support that? and how hard is it to make them 2x120? sorry for asking soooooo many questions guys, i'm a beginner and i have never ever thought about doing WC but since i'm getting this good deal ( at least i think i am) and the seller said that for the system to work, all i had to do was just get the fans for the radiators. Do you guys think its worth it? will it cool enough?

I will be running this WC setup on an E6850, E8400 and Q6600. i have all three chips.

at stock cpu, top end air and water is similiar, that means, for the average Joe, air is as good.
simpler also.
However, if your overclocking, then water allows you a lower temp.
I saw a 10c drop from single to tripple radiator.

Normally, high end air allows you the same cooling without the hassle of watercooling.
Water is for those that overclock a lot, who can adjust and tweak for silence and performance.
I have used watercooling for 3 years or so, its not hard to do, complicated or such, its just a different way to cool which I find useful.
I like to run cool, silent if needed and loud when gaming and extreme cooling is needed.
If your system will cool better than high end air is doubtful, most likely you see similiar temps, however you be able most likely to run the water cooling more silent.

Since the new i7 for example, I am happy I use watercooling since those chips run so hot. However, as the e8000 (45nm) series runs so cool, there is no need to watercool those chips even at high overclocks.
So, same temps, maybe a little more silent with your parts.
I started with small stuff in watercooling, however found soon enough I had to get better stuff to get the results I wanted.

Your needs with the computer needs to be adressed, are you overclocking,and so how much?
If not, your as good off with air, and even moderate overclocking with air is easier and as good.
Its the high end, with load that temps really get over the top.
If not doing that, air is as good if you ask me.

I watercool, and will continue to do so, its just nice to have the water flow trough.

A good custom wc kit and swiftech kit will outperform any air top of the line air coolers, hands down. A cheap kit, thermaltake, gigabyte, and other brands will performe as good as high end coolers or slightly better.

which pump are you getting? the rads are good, but they will come to be restrictive, depending on the head power of your pump.

you are getting two different rads, i don't know are you going to make 2x120 rads, they will still be seperate. Unless you cut them, weld them together and fill in one of the barb hole, than maybe you will get an lesser restrictive rad.

I dont know the model, and I couldnt find any links, must be discontinued?
The label on the pump has this info:
model no: DDC-1 TF
part no: 70970
serial no: 5736307
max fluid temp: 140 F (60 C)
max pressure: 22 psi
mfg: 06/05

ohh thanks, so then its not worth it at all then? i should just stick to air cooling until i get another good deal with better pump?

Yes please, spend time reading the stickies and watching posts for others. Much good info etc., learn as you read.

Good WC starts at about $225 for a CPU only, great CPU/GPU only is over $300 easy.

Pump $70 to start
CPU Block $55
Rad $55 and up, up to $150
Hose clamps fittings etc $50
Res $20 and up.

If you wanted to cool 3 PC CPU chips you'll need probably two pumps and two big rads and all the other stuff.

ya i've read lots of stickies, and a lot of them are out dated like back in 06 and 07. and i figured in about a year, there would be so many improvements over the last years products and such.

but yes, i do read a lot of stickies, and even though they might be old, they are very helpful for general stuff, but when i have a specific question, wouldn't it be easy to ask someone on a new thread?

... wow cooling 3 cpu's is definitely gona break my bank :( i could probably build another cheap budget pc with the money that would go into cooling 3 cpu's lol... i wished i got paid more to do that...

Well what I think would work is a 480 rad, one with the highest wattage abililty (FAST LOUD FANS), two pumps, and 3 blocks. Two pumps in series just because of the hose lenghts to each PC, run it all in series.

We have seen better parts in the last year, but it's pretty close to maxxed out until a new (if possible) breakthrough happens.

The CPU's you want to cool would all need modern CPU blocks, I like the V2, but the GTZ is as good. Even the DD TDX block would be okay, your looking for decent prices.

I suppose your not going for massive overclocks?

If you're going with 2000rpm+ petra yate loons, then the GTX480 fits your needs. If it is 1600rpm or lower yate loons, then the feser 480 is perfect for your needs.

I shall echo conumdrum. V2 has nearly half the pressure drop compared to the GTZ but they have similar performance. By that, I mean ~1-2C. Since you're not overclocking heavily and you have 3 of them, it makes more sense to go with the v2.

hum... true, i will not be doing no mad overclocks. meybe 3.6Ghz on the q6600 ( since its the magic number for them) something like 4.2-4.4Ghz in the E8400 and i have no clue what kind of OC'ing to expect out of a E6850, since i've never OC this chip b4.

I do not care about the noise level at all. for me, performance comes first over other stuff. and if there is a huge price diffrance between the V2 and the GTZ, then that 1~2C is not a life/death situation for me. i'll go for the cheaper one.

Yes, thats a good rad, good price too. It has good heat dissipation, and somewhere between a quiet Thermochill and a BIX (loud fans). It's used a lot. But I don't think it's big enough for your heatload. You can always add another at that price easy enough if your not happy with the temps, it's pretty free flowing.

And 3/4" ID? You do know the holes on the CPU blocks and rads are MUCH smaller than that, so using 3/4 ID isn't going to help, it means you'll have to do some odd adaptors etc to make it fit the rad and blocks. And 3/4" ID would never fit on a CPU block, the barbs are too close together.

I would really consider the V2 no matter what due to the low restriction. If flow is too low your temps will suffer. Go to Martins and do the flow rate calculator please.

And Umm, those aren't mad OC, but they are pretty high OC. You'll prolly need extra Voltage to the CPU's for that, meaning LOTS more heat.

Last edited:
Yes, thats a good rad, good price too. It has good heat dissipation, and somewhere between a quiet Thermochill and a BIX (loud fans). It's used a lot. But I don't think it's big enough for your heatload. You can always add another at that price easy enough if your not happy with the temps, it's pretty free flowing.

And 3/4" ID? You do know the holes on the CPU blocks and rads are MUCH smaller than that, so using 3/4 ID isn't going to help, it means you'll have to do some odd adaptors etc to make it fit the rad and blocks. And 3/4" ID would never fit on a CPU block, the barbs are too close together.

I would really consider the V2 no matter what due to the low restriction. If flow is too low your temps will suffer. Go to Martins and do the flow rate calculator please.

Agreed with everything you've said. It's just like 1/2"ID vs 7/16" tubes over 1/2" barbs makes no difference for the ID of the barb is ~11mm and 7/16" is somewhere there.

One thing on the V2 Fuzion, Blaze; the mounts they now come with are like the Pro Mount you had to buy extra for the V1 Fuzion. So D-Tek saved everyone some money that they didn't have to fork out with the v2 for a real good mounting system.

how dose this sound
https://us-dc2-order.store.yahoo.ne...Jx4p.29HHSKxlX6cfh5UL2IIC6n3pkZknueuaMNAH_w--

I will try this on only one cpu, maybe the E6850 or the E8400. I have yet not desided on which block. can't choose between the D-TEK FuZion v1, D-TEK FuZion v2, Apogee GTZ or the OCZ HF-MK1 Hydroflow.

Since i'm not doing no extreme OC'ing only moderate OC, i was wondering if the OCZ HF-MK1 Hydroflow is any good? i can get almost brand new one for $25 shipped. all the other blocks are 2X's and almost 3X's the cost of OCZ water block.

I'm just trying to get to 3.6Ghz and 4.0Ghz on the two chips, it seems very easy to get this two chips to that speed by just plain good air cooling, so i'm gussing a cheap water block is ok? Since this parts will be going into the Thermaltake Xaser VI case, i'll be putting in as many fans as i can in here just to make sure everything else is cool. Again noise is not a big problem for me.

the rad is good, i have the same on my q6600 with temps of 28-31 idle and tops 40C with small fft's.

i would get the Dtek Fuzion V2 or Swiftech GTZ. i've never heard of the ocz block, though i think i've seen pictures of it somewhere on the net. i would get the dtek or swiftech ones just because there proven to be good blocks.

If you aren't loking for max cooling power, I've read the OCZ block isn't bad, especially for that price. But it isn't in the same league as either of the Fuzions or the GTZ. And the MCR320-QP you linked is a damn good radiator for it's price range. Not quite as good as a PA120.3 Or Feser triple, but plenty good enough.

Back