• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1U Power Supply Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

I bought this 1U power supply for use in a custom designed SFF type enclosure. The problem is the 2 -40mm fans that came with it, spin somewhere around the 10k rpm range (what it sounds like at least) and they are too loud for my current design. Since I will have the room in my case, I want to know if you all think it would be ok for me to remove the two fans and just cut out a hole for an 80mm fan to be attached to the bottom. See pictures for details.

So, question #1 - is this ok to do? I plan on mounting the fan on the outside, so it shouldn't interfere with anything.

Question #2 - if I do this, should I block off the hole where the current intake fan is, and just have the 80mm exhaust out the back? If I leave it open, it shouldn't have that much of an effect on my case temps. My main concern is keeping the power supply cool.

The pics:
ps1.jpg

ps2.jpg

heh, yeah that goes without saying. At least that cover will be removed when I cut the hole. Any thoughts on the pros/cons where cooling is concerned?

If the 80mm is going to exhaust out the back of the case, yeah, it would be a good idea to get the other fans out of the way, that will allow the 80mm exhaust to suck the air in your case out. If anything, it will lower case temps, as it's helping get the warmer air out of the case.

Don't worry about the PSU sucking warm air from inside the case, all PSU's do that by their nature, can't be avoided. Ummm, you probably already know that. :D

no, it will be inside the case as brundle fly (cute name by the way) noted. Basically, I am just removing two loud 40mm fans for one large 80mm. I have no doubt that it will get more airflow with the mods, it was just more of a concern of EMI and stuff. But I guess if people wrap their power supplies in acrylic junk, I guess I can cut a hole in mine :)

By the way, I just saw that Sparkle now has a 1U 460W power supply with 32A on the +12V rail and a +3.3v & +5v & +12v rating of 440W. Now THAT is a spicy meatball! Of course it is 106x40x300 mm in dimenions. Not so bad, but it is kinda long at almost 12". If my 350W decides not to keep up with me someday, I might have to upgrade :)

oh, I see what you were asking. Yes the fan is going to be OUTSIDE the power supply but INSIDE the case. I thought you were asking if my fan was going to be outside the case... Now all I have to do is build this thing :)

Souns like a good plan, but one thing...... When you remove the 00mm on the right you will have to block that hole..... so the air is forced to go outside your computer case..... otherwise most of it will just circulate inside the computer case.

Back